• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Link's Awakening Switch A sequel to which?

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
We'll probably know once it comes out but for the moment, Link's Awakening was a sequel to Link to the Past, so with this being a remake, you'd think that'd still be the case. Except there's Link b/w Worlds which, while basically being a pseudo remake of past, still featured a different story and a different Link. So I have to wonder if they'll decide to retcon the backstory so that this is instead the Link from worlds or still the same one from past. Or maybe they'll keep it ambiguous so it can go either way.
What do you guys think?

It's not really a sequel. It was Nintendo's attempt at porting ALTTP to the Game Boy. When the port failed, they used what work was done on it and turned that into LA. It's totally its own thing.
Also for timeline placement, Nintendo will squeeze it in anywhere they can just to make the fans happy. Nintendo has said they don't care too much for the timeline. As long as the individual game stories are good and the gameplay is good, Nintendo are happy with each Zelda game. The whole hystoria thing was purely done because of customer demand. We all wanted this information and Nintendo delivered.

It looks like the same game so I imagine it'll go where the original one goes.

The fact it isnt called HD or 2 or Switch or anything just says to me, along with the footage, that it's the same game. So i don't think it'll have a different timeline placement or change anything on the timeline.

ALBW, as much as it is a weird remake sequel hybrid still has it's own placement on the timeline as its own thing. I don't think LA will link to it in any way.

That being said, between the Hyrule Historia and Encyclopedia, LA is the only game to have had its placement changed.

Last edited:
Link’s Awakening HD will most likely still be a sequel to ALttP. ALBW comes after both and Tri Force Heroes is a sequel to ALBW.

There's no reason to assume that the LA remake will change the position of LA until otherwise stated.

So, the DT is still:

OoT-ALttP/LA-ALBW/TFH-LoZ/AoL

With OoX being sometime after ALttP and before ALBW, regardless of whether you accept the HH placement or the ZE/NoJ site placement.

That being said, between the Hyrule Historia and Encyclopedia, LA is the only game to have had its placement changed.

Actually, it's more the OoX that had their placement changed.

LA has always had the same Link as ALttP.

It looks like the same game so I imagine it'll go where the original one goes.

The fact it isnt called HD or 2 or Switch or anything just says to me, along with the footage, that it's the same game. So i don't think it'll have a different timeline placement or change anything on the timeline.

ALBW, as much as it is a weird remake sequel hybrid still has it's own placement on the timeline as its own thing. I don't think LA will link to it in any way.

Sooo...a Requel?

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
technically it was a sequel, the link from ALttP went to another continent (possibly the land of the spirits of good, we can't be sure) for training. when he returned, he shipwrecked and woke up on kohlint island. so technically, it is kind of a sequel. I think that this will still be the case in LAR

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
the main reason I'm wondering if they'll retcon it is b/c link b/w worlds is the most recent game, newer players are probably gonna be more inclined to think that this is the same link from the game that came out a few years a go rather than a link that came out almost 30 years ago now, so I just wonder if nintendo will cater to that since link's awakening's backstory really wouldn't change much at all if they just swapped links

the_legend_of_zelda_a_link_between_worlds_1.jpg

screenshot_2-e42d.jpg

I mean I'd much rather it be still kept as a sequel to link to the past, but this possibility did have me curious

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
It's still a sequel to A Link to the Past. Zelda Encyclopedia moved it to reflect this. I get your point on marketing by saying it's Link from ALBWs, but that isn't the case. For Link in ALBWs he was inexperienced, he hasn't been on an adventure yet. So ALttP, LA, and OoX Link are all the same person.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
It's still a sequel to A Link to the Past. Zelda Encyclopedia moved it to reflect this. I get your point on marketing by saying it's Link from ALBWs, but that isn't the case. For Link in ALBWs he was inexperienced, he hasn't been on an adventure yet. So ALttP, LA, and OoX Link are all the same person.
wasn't there a timeline shift that moved the oracles elsewhere

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom