• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do You Leave Your Devices On?

On & Asleep VS Shut Down

• Always on or in sleep mode

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Shut down when not in use

Votes: 8 61.5%

• Total voters

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I'm asking this because I'm curious about what other people do with their devices; phones, gaming systems, computers, anything. Do you leave them on, and just put them to sleep whenever they're not in use, or do you shut them off when you're not using them?

Literally every device I own is always on. I only shut them off if something's screwy and I need to reset it. I leave them in sleep mode all the time when I'm not using them, no matter what it is. My iPod, my phone, my 3DS, my Switch, my laptop; all of it just gets put to sleep when not in use. I don't ever bother to turn them off. It's just easier that way.

What about you guys? Is this a common thing people do? I'm curious.

I turn my gaming systems off for the most part. There's the occasional instance where I just put my Switch into sleep mode, but I generally prefer my game consoles to be hard powered off. I also unplug my capture card's power supply when I'm not playing because it gets warm while in standby.

I usually leave my iPod in sleep mode when it's not in use. I stopped hard powering off because it kind of made the pause button start to wear out (nano's require you to hold down the payse button for like 3 seconds), which was causing issues. I don't lock my iPod anymore for similr reasons. Either way, my iPod has a really strong battery for an 11 year old device so the sleep mode is fine for it, I think.

I do usually leave my phone in sleep, too. Every time I turn it on, the legendary iCloud sends notifications to my sister and dad that I'm logging in, and that's so goddamn annoying.

My computer stays on most of the time. I probably have an average uptime of 40 days or so. I power off for either updates or giving my computer a break. Since I typically sleep in the same room as my computer, I don't mind leaving it on. Leaving computers running is good for the machine rather than constantly powering them on and off.

It depends on whether I’m being paranoid or not. If I’m not able to sleep, my mind wanders and I start to think about the dangers of devices left on, such as the tiniest, most improbable chance of a fire starting. In which case, I turn everything but my phone off. Usually though, I keep most things plugged in but not powered on. I occasionally leave my computer on for a few days, but often turn it off when I’m finished. With by Switch, I keep it in sleep mode 99% of the time (gotta love the great battery life), whereas I turn my 3ds off as long as I can save my progress where I am (if I’m SOSing in sun/moon for shinies, I keep it on and plugged in).

I keep my phone on moat of the time.

But things like tv and ps4 and switch etc all get shut down and turned off at the mains when i'm not using them.

Not that I'm trying to save the planet, I just fear if they're always on that they'll blow up eventually and I dont want that.

Some electronics are not manufactured so that they could be powered off. Like tvs. Newest models are always on sleep unless you unplug them.

I shut down all devices that are not used but some of them need to be on sleep so that I can wake them up remotely. All entertainment electronics and lights (philips hue lights) are part of my smart home system so they are in sleep mode always. But I never leave them on if not used. Like tv, if I don’t actually watch it I put it in sleep. Some of my friends keep their tvs always on in daytime even if nobodoy’s watching which I find odd. They don’t appreciate silence. My linux server I leave always on. It hosts all my media and is responsible for securing backup data so it’s always on. Uptime is reset only when updates require booting which happpens approximately every second year.

If my devices were powered off I couldn’t command them using voice commands, gestures or smart remotes I have lying around in every room. It so handy to just press one button such as ”play switch”, ”watch movie”, ”dim the lights” etc and all lights and devices needed for that action are set and adjusted just how I want.

When I leave home I don’t shut down devices or lights. Smart home does that. If it detects that there’s no motion in home and all smartphones that I have registered to smart home gateway are not present, it powers down or put devices in sleep.

Last edited:
I need to pay my own electricity bill :P so most devices are turned off (Gaming PC, most consoles) or low-powered standby (TV's, monitors).
Other devices are left on all the time, but that is mainly because they do not use a lot of energy when in standby. An iPad uses so little energy while not in use that it does not matter that it is being left on, same goes for Switch.
Some devices are always on, because those devices are always doing something: my smartphone of course, but also a (low-powered) home server.

How about lights? Do you guys usually turn lights out when you exit a room or leave them on?
I turn them off or if I forget they are turned off if no motion is detected.

Last edited:
How about lightning? Do you guys usually turn lights out when you exit a room or leave them on?
I also turn off the lights when leaving the room. Wishes that it would happen automatically though because sometimes I tend to forget...
Only exception is the lighting in the living room, I usually leave that one slightly on (with a dimmer).

Feel free to use what pronouns you want. I use both sexed pronoun sets interchangeably.
I turn off certain devices when it's appropriate.

The computer and cell phone I leave on, but in sleep mode. Takes a lot more electricity to fully power them up than the sleep mode uses, from what I've been told.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
The only device I keep on is my laptop for some reason because it is the device that I have readily available at all times. Yes, not even my phone is as handy as my good ol' laptop. My gaming devices and my desktop (which is a dedicated gaming device), I-pod and flip phone (yes, I use a flip phone) all power off when not in use.

The reason is simple: supplying constant power to electronic devices wears them down. I want my most substantial monetary investments to last.

My laptop only gets powered down for updates or when I begin to notice it behaving erratically.

Right now my laptop needs to be shut down because the volume control UI element in the tray isn't responding. This sorta thing happens when you leave your devices running processes for too long, especially on older systems.

Reactions: Dio

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom