• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Should I name my kid after a Zelda character/mask like my dad did?

My name is Keaton, named after the Keaton mask from MM. Never had a problem with my name, and I played the **** out of MM on an emulator. Just wondering if I should name my kid something similar later in life. I was thinking either Kafei (boy/girl) or Anju (girl). I'm not even sure how to pronounce Kafei. I pronounce it Kuh-Aye-Fay.

If those names don't stick, do you have any ideas on what I should name my kid?

Depends how much you want them to be bullied.

Keaton is an established name people have/had before Zelda, it's a thing, not exclusive to the franchise.

Names like Anju and Kafei are more recognisable as Zelda names, I have only ever come across these names in Zelda, so I imagine it would be the same for many others, regardless if they're real names in some nationalities or not.

Zelda isn't always a popular franchise in a Sony dominated western society, so other kids may laugh at your kids for their names if you do go this route.

I also wouldn't name a kid something you're not sure how to pronounce. What if you or your kid discovers how to pronounce Kafei correctly after years of saying it wrong?

Anyway, if you do wanna go the Zelda route, these are the names I'd choose if I ever wanted kids (which I don't).

Girl-
Aryll, Medli, Malon, Maple, Saria.

Boy-
Abe, Joel, Anton.

But hey if you really want to **** them up you can't go wrong with Bosphoramus and Syrup.

LegendOfMeesh

You Are The Light
If I ever had/have a daughter, I would for sure want to name her Saria and I’ve known this for years, and have multiple reasons for wanting to do so. I love the name Ilia for a girl as well, I think it’s beautiful. I would consider Link and Colin for boys, which are normal names anyways. It’s totally up to you whether you would want to name your children after the series or not. I personally think it’s a great idea, especially considering the fact that you would be following in your father’s footsteps.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
if you're gonna name a child after a game character, make sure it's something subtle enough that it can pass as a real name, it'd be better if it was a real name but if you wanna take one from zelda, you should choose wisely

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
There are some more normal sounding names in the series which would probably be better than others to give a child. Though why would you even contemplate giving a child a name you don't even know how to pronounce?

If you really want to give something an out there Zelda name just get a pet. They won't be bullied at school that way. If not you're gonna have to get baby Bosphoramus (Thanks @Spirit for that thought) on the martial arts very quickly. They'll need it.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I second everyone else. If you’re gonna do it, go for a name that sounds like a real name. You might even get away with Revali or Kafei (but defo check how you pronounce this correctly first) or Saria for a girl.

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
Zeldas a girl name but if you do call the kid a zelda orientated name make sure you explain to them about the Zelda series ...

If people call their kids "Facebook", then everything is OK I guess... No, but really, even in my family we have a "Zola" because their parents want a cool name for their kid.

Finding a name one cannot be bullied with is quite hard. It is almost impossible to come up with a first name / surname combination that you cannot be bullied with.
Speaking for myself: I have on of the most general first names in existence (Tim) so people would make fun of my surname instead...

Just do not give your kid an obvious stupid name and you will be fine.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
besides, no offence intended, if you were named after something from majora's mask then then you're still pretty young, you've got plenty of time to think what potential name to give to your kid, I'd say you can just wait on it until that time starts coming up

HeroOfTime

Challenger Approaching!
I've always thought of naming my first son Lincoln, and just call him Link for short. That way, if he sees the name "Link" in a negative light, he's got a more normal name to fall back on. Not sure what I'd do for a girl, though I've thought of "Sarah" and calling her "Saria". Though with all of the Link/Saria ships, that has the potential to be awkward...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom