• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo Will the Switch Join the 100 Million Hardware Club?

With the news we got a few days ago about the Switch almost outselling the N64 as of December 31, it's pretty crazy how fast the Switch is selling.

I was already one of the people who thought the Switch would outsell the Wii at this time last year, so I continue to believe it will sell over a 100 million units, especially with big hitters like Pokémon Gen 8 and Animal Crossing on the horizon.

So far only 5 systems have ever managed to do so: PS2, DS, GB/GBC, PS1, and Wii. The PS4 is poised to be the 6th with over 90 million consoles sold to date.

Do you think the Switch will also be such a big seller?

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I think it has a really good chance as long as it continues on this route. I think how fast they expand Nintendo Switch Online will probably be a factor. And of course, steady support of good games. There are still Nintendo exclusive titles that they are sitting on that could drive up sales. So yeah, the future of the Switch looks promising for now.

I do not think that Animal Crossing will be a huge system seller, but the true new Pokémon game will give a big boost to the amount of Switches being sold.
So, while 100 million is a lot, I do think that the Switch has a good chance of making it... Unless Pokémon is going to be released together with the Switch Pro and we count that as a separate system.

If it keeps going the way it's going then very possibly.

Nintendo have said they want to ride the Switch for as long as they can, the 3DS is eight years old now, the Switch could see that too if Nintendo keep up with the big IP releases.

Ok. I would assume that switch and switch pro are counted as one system as well. Even units of DS product line are one system in statistics.

I’m optimistic that switch will reach 100 million units. Many gamers who bought switch will upgrade their console when the pro model is released. I know I will. Switch has changed the way how I play games totally. It’s a is very good console and currently I don’t see that there is any other system that could offer same features.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom