• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do you mind people you work with working for you?

I've had a few jobs where I've been entitled to free or reduced in price food and drink, but every time I've had the luxury I pass it up because I really don't like the idea of people I'm working with having to work for me.

Most jobs are a pain in the arse, I'd hate to add to the work load when I work with them and know what they have to do deal with.

How do you feel about this kind of thing?

It doesn't just have to be regarding food but any perk of a job where your co-workers need to get it for you.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
When I used to work at Taco Bell I didn't like buying food. One reason was I didn't like adding to the workload. If I was starving I'd try to wait until things weren't busy, I'd buy food, and just prepare it for myself. However, that wasn't the main reason I didn't like buying food there. I felt like by buying food there I recirculating a portion of the money they had paid me back into the company, and I didn't really like that idea, which was why I avoided doing it.

Most jobs are a pain in the arse, I'd hate to add to the work load when I work with them and know what they have to do deal with.
I only had jobs that I liked to do, and generally with kind co-workers too, even the +- 8 years I worked at a supermarket. So I do not know if I am the right person to answer this question.

but I really do not mind asking my co-worker to get something for me (as long as it is not excessive). And I also really do not mind if any co-worker asks something to me. That's why you're co-workers, right? You help each other and have a quick chat along. It is a welcome break from helping nagging customers.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
I work in food service as well. We get a flat 25% discount on orders once a day and 50% if we're working. The former is a courtesy and the latter is for breaks. My employers are savvy enough to do this because otherwise we'll just be giving them back money we just made working. It's only fair.

And yeah, I do take meals on my break for one simple reason. I gotta eat. Furthermore preparing and serving meals is me and my co-worker's job. I do it for them when they're on break and they do it for me. We all get along remarkably well so we're even happy to serve each other. The cooks have asked me if I liked what they've made and I've complimented them in turn. I offer off-work coworkers coffee when it's my turn on the cart and they do the same for me. I take their trays and offer to get them stuff for their table just like I do for any customer and they for me. We're already there getting paid to do all this stuff anyway so we might as well - and also because we respect each other.

When I do require assistance from a co-worker and they're not already set to a task, since I have no authority over anyone I am always sure to phrase my request as a question and ask nicely. They do the same for me. We only do our jobs better when we coordinate and help each other out.

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
at my work like if a co worker buys lunch then we serve them and we know that they have 15mins for lunch andvits sometimes easier to buy something from work rather thsn go hunt another shop to buy food....

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Y'know, it's funny, there used to be a time where I wanted nothing more than to be in charge, lead with an iron fist, and force all those around me to respect me. Then it happened. Several times. And I realized something about myself...I hate brown nosers. It came to the point where I couldn't stand interacting with those beneath me, except for the few higher ups who saw me as an equal or weren't afraid to challenge me.

Ninja

Well well well
I also work in the food industry. I may see it a bit differently, but that’s because I run a high volume restaurant on the Las Vegas strip that does about $15 million in sales and we employ over 200 people just at this location. Not counting across the country.

I don’t mind people working for me st all. It’s my responsibility to evaluate their work, build a high quality relationship with my team, and keep their skills sharp. I would much rather have a bad order of food come to me versus a customer, so I can coach and develop them. I’m also not above doing the job myself, as I’ve held every job in the business and know what it’s like to be at their level, I love to jump in and get my hands dirty.

Speaking as a coworker though, I understand not wanting to add to the workload, however you are still paying for it, and most of the time the staff should give you some extra love because it’s someone they work with! :)

NintendoCN

Team Captain
I was a janitor at the west acres mall, and if I couldn't get something like a mop bucket because they changed the door code, or the vacuum quit, or even if I needed someone to open the door so I could get back in, I hated having to ask someone to either give me the code, or help me do my job.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I was in charge of internal transportation at the postal services for a while because the girl who usually did this couldn't handle the christmas stress without calling people names. So they put me in charge for the busiest times. And it went beyond perfect! You just have to show the people who work for you respect at all times and compliment them for all they're doing. That's so much better than calling them out for no reasons at all. Even stress doesn't make it okay to call people imbecils and stupid as hell. That's not going to work and will bite you in the butt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom