• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Games you struggle to like

Ever played a game where you just cant bring yourself to enjoy it much despite the game itself actually being decent?

Right now I've got an internal struggle going on where I just can't bring myself to enjoy Smash Bros Ultimate, or at least like it more than I do.

I don't like the idea of Spirits, I don't like World of Light or Spirit Board, the combat feels so different, there are so many modes that I just don't care about and so many characters that I'm really not fussed about, yet I know the game is good value for money and a quality product...

Have you ever felt like this towards a game and failed to enjoy it more than expected to or felt you should have?

Last edited:

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
I had that w/ the first mario & sonic olympics, but it's not b/c the game was good [the opposite in fact], it was more so b/c I had asked my dad to get it for me so I was kinda stuck w/ it, and felt kinda guilty for making him spend money on it,therefore I tried to like it

.....but nah, that game was ass

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
It's not about liking I just can't get into the game play of the Monster Hunter series but I plan on trying World if they release it to the Switch with a demo. That is how I discovered that I liked Stories but the reason I like Stories is cuz it's more like Pokemon then Monster Hunter as it is a spin off.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
I've tried so hard to like the Elder Scrolls series more times than I've kept track of. Skyrim is the only one I've ever clocked any significant number of hours on and since straight up getting bored with it not once have I ever been in danger of having the desire to play it again.

Morrowind is an absolute slog that has you doing nothing playing gofer for 90+ hours with no sign of it ever getting remotely interesting. Seriously, the first 100 or so hours is literally nothing but you being handed something and getting told to deliver it or being told to go somewhere, pick up something, and bring it back. No story. No real premise that didn't come off of the quest designer's dart board, no challenge. Simply move here, clicky click, move back, click done.

And Oblivion's a step up in the "this might have some actual potential" department but for the life of me I just can not get past the game's hideous faces and godawful voices. Honestly, the character graphics in Oblivion are so wretched it kills it for me. The NPCs in oblivion are so repulsive that I cannot bear to venture anywhere near a town. If all I could do in Oblivion is go dungeon hopping out in the wilderness it'd be alright I suppose, but still...

I've tried to appreciate the original Fallout games but I always end up having enough of the tedium some time around delivering the water chip.

I've tried to appreciate Grand Theft Auto as well. I've played GTAIII, IV, and even Chinatown Wars for lulz and the first two since they're freeware and I've just never been able to get in to it. The games are dull, the story time is obnoxious with insufferable characters and unlikeable protagonists, the missions are contrived, the controls are absolute drek, the open world is lackluster to say the least, straight up insipid at worst, and the games offer virtually no reward for completing challenges other than the satisfaction of having actually managed to jump through whatever arbitrary hoops the game requires you to "win" and actually goes so far as to just punish players for failing by taking all your toys away when you're caught or wasted. It's like the GTA games are actively designed to prevent players from having any fun. I've never felt like I've played a GTA game so much as worked for it. Heck, my actual job is more fun than GTA and at least I get paid to do that.

Maybe Mario Kart 8. Had a lot of fun with MKW, but 8 didn’t seem like a huge improvement; mainly the online play.

Last edited:

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
One for me that comes to mind was LotR: The Third Age. I blew all the allowence money I had saved up on that one game. I saw it hyped up on TV, in the commercials I saw it was even mentioned the game had great ratings, plus it was a LotR game, so I figured I couldn't go wrong with buying it.

I forced myself to play through it despite disliking it early on. I spent all that money so I felt like I was obligated to play it and like it even if I didn't, otherwise I wasted a lot of money.

I got about 3 quaters of the way through the game. I then got stuck in a battle segment where one character gets seperated from the party and must singlehandidly fight 3 Nazgul. I never could progress past that point. So I finally gave up on the game.

I sold it in a garage sale a few years later, and good riddence!

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
For whatever reason, I just cannot get into Spryo. On the surface, I feel like it's a game I should love. But the artstyle and platforming always looks so lifeless to me and I don't care for Spyro's controls and attacks. Several of the NPCs and enemy designs are forgettable. I don't know, I really want to like Spyro and I believe it is a good game. But I find zero enjoyment in it.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
For whatever reason, I just cannot get into Spryo. On the surface, I feel like it's a game I should love. But the artstyle and platforming always looks so lifeless to me and I don't care for Spyro's controls and attacks. Several of the NPCs and enemy designs are forgettable. I don't know, I really want to like Spyro and I believe it is a good game. But I find zero enjoyment in it.

is this remake spyro or original spyro. Cuz bear in mind Original spyro was clunky in terms of controls due to being on the PS1 but the remade version should've fixed that.

i got nothing on the flat foes as some of them are really boring. Should point out though that they are unoriginal mook foes that respawn after leaving the level sooo yeah. No personality to em.

Some of the NPCs are just bland cuz bland

Bayonetta.

I've played the demos on WiiU a lot but I just can't get into the game. I just found them very hard and not really fun. I really wanted to like Bayonetta and I tried so hard to do so. But I don't think I can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom