• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What do you want Zelda Switch to do better than BotW?

I believe a deeper, progressive story would be better. If you're going to have such a large world, then make it more interesting and populate it with variety. I think the the climbing should be more limited, not have it where you can climb over everything. It was fun though. Of course, bring back the traditional dungeons and temples. A blacksmith system for weapon upgrades, similar to Skyward Sword's but no more of this swords breaking after a few hits. If they bring back a companion, make it less annoying than some of the previous ones.

Aku

Dungeons- I think the next game needs dungeons. However, I am not calling for Wind, Forest, Fire etc., type dungeons you'd find in most games past OoT. What I'm thinking of is old ancient and spooky ruins that lie underground, that are falling apart and that contain buried history. Old tombs, old underground cities that are connected by dusty dark tunnels, and hidden treasures.

Monsters- To go with these underground places, we need to bring back stuff that loves dank, dark places and roaming in them. Redeads, Gibdos, and by gum, I'm thinking Deadhand. Who wants Deadhand in fully realized 3D with realistic graphics and sound? Meeee!

Story- I think they need to continue to expand on Ganon to keep him interesting. He's gone from Big Blue Pig to Gerudo King/ King of Thieves to Ganondorf to Demise's Curse/Hatred Incarnate to Calamity. What is he going to be after this? My favorite idea is that he's revealed to be a super powerful demon (Ganon) that long ago possessed a male Gerudo baby. Two reasons why I have this as my favorite idea is that it comes back full circle to what Ganon originally was when we first saw him in Zelda 1, a demon pig. Second is that many people are fans of Ganondorf's 'sympathetic' portrayal in WW, so in a way, him being 'possessed' means that the human (Ganondorf) is sorta off the hook.

(This also means that the human Ganondorf's mind will slowly deteriorate from the endless death and damage done to his body, until the point he himself is gone and all that's left is a demon taking up residence.)

foremost that it has actual real dungeons, mutiple ones and of a rather significant size

those dungeons would then come in place of the numerous shrines (some can be kept in far lesser numbers or make it something likewise like mini-dungeons or ...) and/or making the overworld a bit less large but so that it still has a considerable (big) size

i also missed the items from eaelier games, those runes were a decent change but for me they did really compare with those items, it might have been better also if there were a few more of those runes

a wider variety of enemies of course like in earlier games, in BotW the variety was to limited

also total different dungeons bosses instead of exactly the same ones in layout with some small differences in attacks and elements, and ...

Last edited:
Dungeons- I think the next game needs dungeons. However, I am not calling for Wind, Forest, Fire etc., type dungeons you'd find in most games past OoT. What I'm thinking of is old ancient and spooky ruins that lie underground, that are falling apart and that contain buried history. Old tombs, old underground cities that are connected by dusty dark tunnels, and hidden treasures.

This sounds like an awesome idea, but having a few elemental dungeons to go along with them would be great, too.

Story- I think they need to continue to expand on Ganon to keep him interesting. He's gone from Big Blue Pig to Gerudo King/ King of Thieves to Ganondorf to Demise's Curse/Hatred Incarnate to Calamity. What is he going to be after this? My favorite idea is that he's revealed to be a super powerful demon (Ganon) that long ago possessed a male Gerudo baby. Two reasons why I have this as my favorite idea is that it comes back full circle to what Ganon originally was when we first saw him in Zelda 1, a demon pig. Second is that many people are fans of Ganondorf's 'sympathetic' portrayal in WW, so in a way, him being 'possessed' means that the human (Ganondorf) is sorta off the hook.

This on the other hand...

1. Ganondorf and Ganon have been confirmed to be one in the same person since ALttP, and in many games since.
1A. The name Ganondorf was used in the manual of ALttP, which also confirmed that Ganon was a common name before he transformed into a beast. In the final battle, Ganon disparagingly calls Link ''boy'' and ''lad''; In OoT and TWW, he also uses terms similar to that and ''boy'' in OoT and TWW in the same manner.
1B. Ganondorf transforms into Ganon at the end of OoT. Also, his castle is called Ganon's Castle, before he transforms into a demon.
1C. In TWW, He's constantly referred to as just ''Ganon'' by the KoRL for a vast majority of the game, despite never even transforming into his demon form in TWW.
1D. Zant calls him Ganon and Possessed Zelda's title refers to her as ''Ganon's Puppet'', before he turns into his demon form in that game.
2.No evidence of Ganon(dorf) being possessed by a demon in any game.
3.Seperating them like this makes Ganon(dorf) a pointless character:
3A. The weight of Ganondorf's actions in OoT, such as destroying the Market, feeding the Gorons to Volvagia, and just putting Hyrule through hell for seven years is nonexistent, because it wasn't really him, just some demon that is offscreen and barely even alluded to until the final battle(although it looks like Ganondorf willingly uses the ToP to transform into him, you know, almost like they're the same character). Although that would leave us with the question as to why Ganondorf is sealed away if he was innocent?
3B. Why should I care about DT Ganon? If we separate him from Ganondorf(despite the fact that doing so contradicts the story of Ganondorf as presented in the games), then he's just some mindless idiot who wants to destroy things, making him boring. But, if we take him as being the same being as the man once known as Ganondorf, (as the games present him as), then we have a tale of a man who desired power, and upon getting it, had his humanity ripped away from him, perhaps eventually resulting in him becoming the being known as the Great Calamity(if you place BotW on the DT as I do), meaning that Ganon loses even if he wins in the short term, making you almost feel pity for him despite his atrocities over the millennia.

Everything - even for those who believe BoTW is the best in the series, there's always ways to improve. I could write paragraphs on ways it could be better in detail, but I'll save everyone the lengthy read.

-Better and more enjoyable emphasis on story: One thing I do dislike about the direction the series could take based on this trend is the abandonment of a true narrative. I don't mind Breath of the Wild for doing it, to me their environmental storytelling game was on-freakin-point but while I enjoyed it, I don't want it AGAIN. At least not so soon. Maybe a few games down the line. I disagree with Miyamoto on his view of Link, he doesn't get weaker when you assign him personality traits. But it's also hypocritical because while he says he doesn't want to do that, he does it. If Link is kept blank specifically so he can be a stand in for everyone, then why do things like make him lazy and sleepy all the time? I'm not sleepy. I barely sleep. I sleep about 4.5-5.5. hours a night. So it's not like that's a trait that absolutely everyone can identify with. (I'm not specifically *****ing about a sleepy Link, just pointing out a hypocrisy in play)

-Wider variety of enemies: Enemies that aren't just various humanoids. Poes, Leevers, Tektites, Gyorgs... bring it all back.

-Weapons that can break, but not permanently: I think having a few different weapons would be cool. But I'd rather they degrade over time and require maintenance (something like Sharpness in Monster Hunter but not so easily fixed) and I also want them to be upgradable.

-Return to Pieces of Heart: I understand why they did the Spirit Orbs thing, but somehow the way everything was always the same made it less thrilling and enjoyable to me. Though honestly, of all my items on this list, this one is the one I'm less inclined to care about so if we get Spirit Orbs again (or something similar) I don't think I'll mind much.

-Diving: I wanna be able to go underwater again.

-ACTUAL CAVES: Location based exploration that feels rewarding and varied. I want real caves that you actually get to delve down into, filled with neat enemies and interesting treasures. No more shrines!

Something I was thinking about in another thread, how about better frame rate. For the most part, BotW did run smoothly, however there are several instances where things breakdown. Could be because the game was originally designed for the Wii U. Seamless transition from the overworld into towns was nice, but seemed to take it toll on the hardware. since Nintendo isn't known for power anymore I just wonder if the Switch can do it without causing slowdown and lag. So maybe there should be a return to where when you enter a town it loads separately. I know it's a step back from the open world Nintendo just began, but if the Switch can't do it then maybe.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
Horses. The horses were amazing in Breath of the Wild. The tracking on paths felt organic and looked wonderful. Herds of wild horses browsed foliage together and offered varying statistics once broken. The horses were as good as they're ever been in Zelda but...

They weren't useful. Not only did they take time to track down, sneak up on, train, and stable, but once you got your perfect horse broken and outfitted in the finest horse gear, the master cycle drops out of the sky and makes your perfect horse obsolete.

I don't know how to fix this but off the cuff, I'd say horses need to offer an advantage or option not otherwise available to Link. For instance, if Link could only go slow-mo bow bro by backflipping off of a horse, I'd have been a bit more inclined to ride one everywhere. Perhaps if your horse had a couple of saddle bags which would effectively provide Link with more weapons slots. They could be used to pull cats from town to town to make extra rupees...I don't know, make the horses more useful because we all want to love them.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
With horses, I'd rather they just bring back the old system. Catching them didn't add anything, raising them didn't add anything, the stats were just pointless RNG and it was a waste of time. They somehow managed to make the horse controls for TPHD look good by comparison. And given how long they were planning and developing the DLC, the lack of horse call was clearly just a cash grab...

That said, if they want to continue with the system, give us the option to buy horses. Certain breeders will offer different kind of horses. Carrier horses, race horses, war horses, and so on. Training horses shouldn't be just about taming them, it should be about specializing their stats so we can create the "perfect horse" for our playstyle. I.e. perfect Combat Horse, Race Horse, Pack Mule, or maybe a hybrid. i.e. a fast horse that can carry a lot of luggage and is good for traveling.

...Still want the old controls to return regardless. A trained horse is obedient. And horses should control like horses, not boats.

I want Zelda to go back to its Oirigins... origins...

I believe Skyward Sword as the most experimental zelda brought a whole bunch of different fans to the genre, but I'd rather see an Ocarina of Time style Zelda eventually...

I kind of see video games as ideally moving backwards through their own eras... blending the best of both worlds together...

For example the 1980s 1990s 2000s and 2010s 2020s and possibly even the 2030s.. ok maybe not but right there

1980 has Zelda 1 and 2 basically
1990 has Zelda 3 and 4 more or less
2000 Zelda 5 and 7... with Twilight Princess being it's own category IK IMO

But then Zelda got spun off a zillion times in tons of games and more or less got more experimental... so from 2002 or so to 2010 each Zelda game from that era becomes less familiar and more different to the point when its 2011 and Skyward Sword is the ultimate new Zelda.. and the one younger fans would be familiar with... and which is fine....

But then with Zelda U's production I start to see it going back ward... Breath of the Wild stylistically and gamewise actually reminds me of Wind Waker the most.. not Zelda 1 or Zelda 2....

For example Wind Waker similarly considered to be going against the series conventions and the massive spc space to explore using the ship reminds me of BOtw's universe...

I think what's changed is video game culture now accepts these massive changes more than they did... but I think Breath of the Wild actually feells familiar....

Also BotW Link isn't quite Toon Link but BotW is pretty shiny IMO and once again fans have changed and accept this...

The Zela Zelda that I think actually revolutionized the series and indeed most or all of gaming in general IMO is Ocarina of Time by cah changing the mode to 3d and introducing kind of a larger universe and all that..

I think any number of poe people would be interested in seeing in an era of 3d kind of RPG like universe games everywhere how the originators of that style in some ways would interpet that in a modern context....

So the Nintendo Switch I would hope paralells the N64 to a degree (since in my idea they move backward, with the Gamecube being the equivalent of the Wii U), and that the Zelda Switch is like Ocarina of Time

But reinterpreted a bit in the modern light.. not much... though... thed spirit of ocarina.. should be there...

So anyway to finish

2010s now more like Zelda 5-7 again but it's 7 and 5
2020s Ideally like Zelda 4 and 3
2030 or perhaps late 2020s Zelda 2 and Zelda 1...

I'd like to see more meaningful NPC interactions as demonstrated in MM.

I still can't get over what the Zelda team was able to do given the system limitations at the time. While MM's focus on the NPC may have detracted from other areas in the game and justified the departure from the NPC centered theme, it did manage to make almost every interaction with NPC's pretty meaningful. Clock Town is still one of the most vibrant and alive settings of any game I've played, every character was doing something, had a story, and was quite unique. For me, it would be really cool to see them try and emulate that feeling with the improved capabilities offered by the switch or next gen console.

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
More enemy variety. Specifically different enemies for different biomes to make Hyrule feel more alive. On that note having NPC's be a little deeper would be nice. I remember watching a trailer for BotW long before release where Link was fighting alongside one of them, and thought how cool would it be to recruit a fellow adventurer to travel with for a while.
Less shrines and more "traditional" dungeons would also be nice, and by traditional I mean actual temples and ruins no monotone divine beasts and shrines. Having the same theme really got stale. Along with traditional temples I would not want the "find dungeon's item, and solve every puzzle after that with said item."

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I'd like to see some changes to the meteorological system in game, in BOTW we only ever really got heat exhaustion in the desert but what about akkala that places was a massive plains biome with little cover available (It had groves and the like but it was more savannah than anything in terms of coverage) so why doesn't link suffer from heat exhaustion there? Hell even on death mountain he just bursts into flames, which is really unrealistic, you'd have to be standing right next to lava for that.

In terms of weather i'd actually like to see us get reactive elements such as after a period of rain some more growth occurs in plantlife, maybe collectible plants become more common temporarily, when the suns out for too long (i.e too many warm days) have the plants wilt a bit, just some sign that the weather actually has an impact beyond wet cliffs would be nice. hell some seasonal changes would be pretty cool i'd love to see the deku forest under snow.

Most importantly please for the love of god do away with that silly blood moon, it was such a useless element in BOTW, it only existed so as to give an explaination on enemy respawns they even shoehorned a damn shrine into conjunction with it in order to make it seem important. If the blood moon remains why can't they make that too a seasonal affair? Once an ingame month (y'know 28 days) give a bloodmoon and boost the monsters strength until the new moon.

We've seen that BOTW introduced lunar activities such as the blood moon maybe expand on it a bit, such as when it's a New Moon all monsters are more peaceable and when it's a full moon approaching a blood moon have them act more agressive, it's kinda wierd how the monsters just stay in the same locations not really taking an interest in things aorund hyrule (bar a few chance encounters with bokoblins and travellers)

Jotaro Joestar

Jotaro Kujo
I want the Nintendo Switch to make a part two for Majoras Mask. Like, what happens to link and the mask's. I think this would be awesome because a lot of people enjoy the Majoras Mask/ Ocarina of Time timeline.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom