• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Warriors Game Wishlist

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
Well we were sort of talking about it in the Shoutbox this morning so I thought this could be a fun thread to start since the possibilities are endless.

I will start this off with a Smash Bros like one with several Nintendo and maybe 3rd party games in one huge Warriors game. Maybe call it Nintendo Warriors.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I want Hyrule Warriors 2 most of all. The first one is one of my favourite Zelda's and since I have fallen out with the main series I'd really like to see HW get a proper sequel.

Some kind of Jedi Warriors would be good also where you can play as your favourite star Wars characters. Might be a bit too battlefront-y though.

Well one of the higher up producers of the Warriors series said he wants to do a Mario Warriors and a Star Wars Warriors, so they may happen at some point.

I don't think Fox being in Starlink set the world on fire enough for Nintendo to greenlight the Star Fox Warriors game they put on ice either so that sucks...

As for which Warriors games I want...

TALES OF WARRIORS, DAMMIT!

Hooooooow has this not happened yet?

Well, Tales games have wonky rights issues (Bamco Murica couldn't get the vocal track of Zestiria's main theme for the western release from Bamco Japan...) but there has been a sort of Tales of Warriors before. It was called Tales of the Heroes: Twin Brave, it was made in-house for the PSP and was never released outside of Japan and it wasn't very good, so we need a proper one.

Also, Drakengard x Nier Warriors would be a good time too.

Last edited:
@PrincessNiki
I assume you are talking about the Musou genre of games here.

What would I want?
Dynasty Warriors 10 - It should be a better version of Dynasty Warriors 8 and forget the mess that was the 9th game.
Dragon Quest Heroes 3 - The first 2 games were cute and really fun. Also really well done. A 3rd game I would really like.
Samurai Warriors 5 - Make it an actually good one. Even Samurai Warriors 4, the best game in the series is good but not that good. We need a 5th game but make it really good.

I want Hyrule Warriors 2 most of all. The first one is one of my favourite Zelda's and since I have fallen out with the main series I'd really like to see HW get a proper sequel.
Only if the sequel fixes up all the issues the first game had. Sure Hyrule Warriors is one of the better Musou games, It's still far from perfect.

Mido

Version 1
Xenoblade Warriors would be the best thing ever.

I have never considered this, and I agree with you more than I would have thought. I'm halfway tempted to try and make the cast in DW8 Empries to give it a little test run of sorts (at least for the first XC)! :cool:

Dynasty Warriors 10 - It should be a better version of Dynasty Warriors 8 and forget the mess that was the 9th game.

I definitely agree with you that scaling back to the traditional formula would be the best mode of action. While I commend Tecmo-Koei for their effort to experiment, it did not necessarily work. Still, here is a part of me that thinks the open-world battlefields can work to a degree (as in using larger-scale level designs for each mission or at least for the grander battles such as Hu Lao Gate or Wu Zhang Plains). Now, for my Wishlist:

Mido's Dynasty Warriors 10 Wishlist

Battle Structure
As our good friend @the8thark pointed out, a return to the style of DW8 is very, very important considering DW9's experiment was...interestingly received, to put it lightly. This being said, DW9 did make some solid moves with its open-world formula. By completing smaller skirmishes and other minor battles, the main battle of the chapter becomes easier to complete do to enemy forces having weakened. The player is rewarded for going the extra mile in this respect. DW4 did the same thing in the traditional formula, each chapter having a main battle like The Yellow Turban Rebellion and other side-battles related to the main conflict. Players have the choice to jump into the main battle, but will lose the opportunity to do the side battles, which can influence the main conflict in some way. A player can also do one side battle and not the other. The element of choice in this respect adds a level of nonlinearity to a story with a linear sense of progression. These choices can also lead to hypothetical route such as what if X character did not die? What would it mean for the story? DW8 was more in-your-face with this in terms of presenting the route, but it still required players to pay attention to events on the battlefield and figure out what they must do to get the hypothetical route. DW4 did the same thing, but it was more cryptic with how it worked, not hinting at other routes, leaving the player to find the routes themselves. While I prefer 4's method of handling multi-routed stories within the ROTTK narrative, it does come with its own share of frustrations as a result of its relatively cryptic nature. I think a balance of 4 and 8 can be struck, but with these features noted, I think the Musou modes still need to stay as kingdom-based rather than officer-based.

Gameplay
Honestly, while I expect Tecmo-Koei to try and shake up the gameplay formula as they tend to do with supplementary combat features, I think DW8's gameplay is among the best in the series, and I would not mind if they stuck with that. Also, a full return to unique weapons for each character would be a very nice gesture.

Roster Additions and Story Presentation
With every new DW title comes the anticipation of who will be the newest warriors added to the experience? I know I look forward to it and speculating on it. DW9's additions, I thought were a mixed bag mostly considering where I want the story to go. I had no issues with Other and Jin's additions. Wei, I liked Man Chong a ton, and Xun You was okay considering the game has Xun Yu already. As for Cao Xiu, he was an okay addition, but I would probably have gone with someone like Cao Zhen of Cao Shuang (unless Wu added Zhou Fang, but that didn't happen). Wu, I liked Cheng Pu to reinforce the old generation, but I wasn't huge on the addition of Xu Sheng. Not a bad addition by any means, but I think moving into the later part of the story with characters such as Zhuge Ke would have been a better move. Shu, I was not too keen on Zhou Cang's addition as it undermined my hope for Liao Hua to be added for Shu, but I digress. Onto the story direction!

I think that after the seventh, eighth, and I believe the ninth installments as well, it is time to move past the Fall of Shu in the narrative and finish out the Romance of the Three Kingdoms for DW10. As such, I think the character additions should reflect this, focusing mostly on the later era of the Three Kingdoms period. Characters such as Sima Yan, Du Yu, Lu Kang, Sun Hao, and a few to several more would be ideal candidates to join the cast outside the realm of generic officers for those who were previously generic characters such as Lu Kang above. I'll stop my rambling here.

@Mido

Here are some things to think about for a possible Dynasty Warriors 10.
What do you think?
I'll comment on your points at the end.

The controller layout and buttons

One question I would have for a Dynbasty Warriors 10 is what to do about dodging? It's a thing in DW9 but it's not present in DW8. If you add in all the other moves, there's literally not enough buttons on a controlelr to do everything. It seems to me that in Musou games there is a trinity of moves. Jumping, blockink and dodging. Most Musou games have two out of the 3.
Hyrule warriors for example, decided to not have jumping. Dynasty Warriors 8 chose not to have dodging. DW9, as far as I remember chose not to have blocking.
We need to rethink the button layout so we can get a good mix of everything and not have anything core miss out. I do think all 3 should be in a Musou game. But how as there's only limited number of buttons on any one controller.

The encyclopedia section

In the DW8XL I have, the encyclopedia section was done brilliantly. So much information about every battle, every personality, every area. It was done so well. The music accompanying this was also pleasent to listen to. In DW9 however, it's encyclopedia section was so disappointing. So little information there, it was a joke. I think they really need to just port the DW8XL encyclopedia section and just update it for DW10.

Paid DLC

The DLC for most Dynasty Warriors games is a joke. It's all microtransactions designed to tug at people's nostalgia strings. I think they need to scrap all of that and go the Smash Bros Ultimate style. Only have a few larger sets of DLC. Priced reasonably. Not a DLC pack costing more than the base game does. That way they would get more peple buying the DLC.

My opinions on what you have said above

Fleshing out the story past the fall of Shu

That might not be possible. Or is it? The book, well series of books are all called "The Three Kingdoms". The Romance part was added for Real Time Strategy series That started on the NES if I remember correctly. I have read the first book of the 3. I found a pretty good translation of it. The full version is like 3000 pages total for all 3 books. Those books do end with the fall of Shu and rise of the Jin Dynasty. That's really it because that's the end of the 3 kingdoms wars. For those who don't know and are reading this, The Three Kingdoms is a part historical and part fictional 15th century book about the Three Kingdoms period. The author obviously favoured Liu Bei as his favourite figure of the period. This led to a majority of the Chinese people also taking a liking to him. My personal favourite figure of the period is Cao Cao However I do think a majority of the leaders from all 4 sides (Jim included) were all just as bloodthirsty as each other.

However there could be an answer with another period in Chinese history. The "Five Dynasties and Ten Kingdoms" period approx 907AD to 960AD would make for a nice side story in the Dynasty Warriors games. This period was also quite bloody and also much political and social uphevial happened during this time.

There is actually another option. To start even earlier. And talk more about the Han Dynasty and how it ultimately fell and also focus on those outside the main 3 factions. People like Yuan Shao, Zhang Jiao, Lu Bu etc etc.

Gameplay

It's been well known that the wepons in Musou games determine the different gameplay styles, not the characters themselves. All the Dynasty Warriors do is give you a bonus if you use that character's perferred weapon. If it was me I'd go a step further and lock a weapon type to each character. You could say the only weapon a character could use would be their preferred one. This would help each character to feel more unique and actually make you get good with each chatacter. Sure I do think the multiple difficulties should exist. So everyone good or bad at the game can enjoy it.

Mistakes with Dynasty Warriors 9, not to be repeated

I hope Koei Tecmo realise Dynasty Warriors is not meant to be open world. The main battles is where it's at. For those who want more out of the game. there's the Ambition mode as well as the Empires game. I've explored the entire map in DW9. Most of that was just running around on horseback and finding each house to buy it as a warp point and moving on. COllecting the items in the wilderness and killing the wild creatures honestly was not at all interesting or rewarding. This works in BotW because that game is an exploration focused game with everything else secondary. It just doesn't work in DW9. Also all of the towns just feel the same.
The battles just have you boxed in certain areas of the map. Those are the fun parts of the game and are done quite well. As are the side missions. They are fun also.
I don't think trying to make DW9 was a bad idea in the sense that you only know that something is bad if you actually try it out. DW9 is not all bad, only most of it. The few good parts of DW9 need ot be kept but scrap the rest.

The other issue with DW9 is it's individual focused, not faction focused. Samurai Warriors 4-2 does this change also. Honestly I don't like it. A big change in DW8 was the ability to chose from more than one person for a battle and who you chose had different mission objectives to do. it meant actually doing the battle with each different person was a different experience. In story mode of cause. Free mode is totally different as you know. This also helped me to understand the flow of the game as they had proper cut scenes between each battle so we understood what was going on. Important as this is really a complex story. It also made the DW8 hypothetical story lines very easy to understand.
I say stick with the game being faction focused, not individual focused for DW10 and keep the multiple character options for each battle a thing too.

Mido

Version 1
The controller layout and buttons

One question I would have for a Dynbasty Warriors 10 is what to do about dodging? It's a thing in DW9 but it's not present in DW8. If you add in all the other moves, there's literally not enough buttons on a controlelr to do everything. It seems to me that in Musou games there is a trinity of moves. Jumping, blockink and dodging. Most Musou games have two out of the 3.
Hyrule warriors for example, decided to not have jumping. Dynasty Warriors 8 chose not to have dodging. DW9, as far as I remember chose not to have blocking.
We need to rethink the button layout so we can get a good mix of everything and not have anything core miss out. I do think all 3 should be in a Musou game. But how as there's only limited number of buttons on any one controller.

This is a good point to consider. I could have sworn that one of the musou games had both dodging and jumping, but I'm definitely not certain. In any case, I think this question is important to think about for the next game.

The encyclopedia section
In the DW8XL I have, the encyclopedia section was done brilliantly. So much information about every battle, every personality, every area. It was done so well. The music accompanying this was also pleasent to listen to. In DW9 however, it's encyclopedia section was so disappointing. So little information there, it was a joke. I think they really need to just port the DW8XL encyclopedia section and just update it for DW10.

Paid DLC

The DLC for most Dynasty Warriors games is a joke. It's all microtransactions designed to tug at people's nostalgia strings. I think they need to scrap all of that and go the Smash Bros Ultimate style. Only have a few larger sets of DLC. Priced reasonably. Not a DLC pack costing more than the base game does. That way they would get more peple buying the DLC.

I don't have much to say here except that I completely agree with both points. While I don't know how 9's was, 8 had a great encyclopedia (with some good music to boot).

Fleshing out the story past the fall of Shu
That might not be possible. Or is it? The book, well series of books are all called "The Three Kingdoms". The Romance part was added for Real Time Strategy series That started on the NES if I remember correctly. I have read the first book of the 3. I found a pretty good translation of it. The full version is like 3000 pages total for all 3 books. Those books do end with the fall of Shu and rise of the Jin Dynasty. That's really it because that's the end of the 3 kingdoms wars. For those who don't know and are reading this, The Three Kingdoms is a part historical and part fictional 15th century book about the Three Kingdoms period. The author obviously favoured Liu Bei as his favourite figure of the period. This led to a majority of the Chinese people also taking a liking to him. My personal favourite figure of the period is Cao Cao However I do think a majority of the leaders from all 4 sides (Jim included) were all just as bloodthirsty as each other.

However there could be an answer with another period in Chinese history. The "Five Dynasties and Ten Kingdoms" period approx 907AD to 960AD would make for a nice side story in the Dynasty Warriors games. This period was also quite bloody and also much political and social uphevial happened during this time.

There is actually another option. To start even earlier. And talk more about the Han Dynasty and how it ultimately fell and also focus on those outside the main 3 factions. People like Yuan Shao, Zhang Jiao, Lu Bu etc etc.

First, I am compelled to address the bolded statement:

43d.gif

As for the limited possibilities of going past Shu's fall, I think you make an interesting observation especially considering the author's preference of Shu and Liu Bei, and it also doesn't help that (at least based on the in-game encyclopedia) there did not seem to be any meaty conflicts regarding the abdication of Wei in 265. At least for the Fall of Wu, there's some more substance battle-wise. While I still would like to see it, I also really like that you mentioned the idea of starting earlier. I for one would enjoy levels based on Sun Jian's early exploits pre-Yellow Turban Rebellion, especially considering his time in the limelight is comparatively brief when compared to Cao Cao and Liu Bei. There are enough old guard Wu officers currently playable to make this work, potentially! :cool: As for the other factions, I remember that DW4 had musou modes for them, with Zhang Jiao's being particularly fun when you have to face the entirety of the Han forces at the end. As for the Five Dynasties and Ten Kingdoms Era, I'll definitely do some homework on that as it sounds like it would fit the series well!

It's been well known that the wepons in Musou games determine the different gameplay styles, not the characters themselves. All the Dynasty Warriors do is give you a bonus if you use that character's perferred weapon. If it was me I'd go a step further and lock a weapon type to each character. You could say the only weapon a character could use would be their preferred one. This would help each character to feel more unique and actually make you get good with each chatacter. Sure I do think the multiple difficulties should exist. So everyone good or bad at the game can enjoy it.

I would not mind if they returned to the single-weapon formula for the sake of uniqueness, so I agree there even if I do like the 7 and 8 weapon-switching (not to mention just having one weapon has historically been a part of the series even if some reasons were shared).

Mistakes with Dynasty Warriors 9, not to be repeated
The other issue with DW9 is it's individual focused, not faction focused. Samurai Warriors 4-2 does this change also. Honestly I don't like it. A big change in DW8 was the ability to chose from more than one person for a battle and who you chose had different mission objectives to do. it meant actually doing the battle with each different person was a different experience. In story mode of cause. Free mode is totally different as you know. This also helped me to understand the flow of the game as they had proper cut scenes between each battle so we understood what was going on. Important as this is really a complex story. It also made the DW8 hypothetical story lines very easy to understand.
I say stick with the game being faction focused, not individual focused for DW10 and keep the multiple character options for each battle a thing too.

My experiences with DW9 were rather short since I never bought the game, but I agree with this point very much so. I was not a big fan of individual stories in 6, even if the presentation was solid (in particular, Gan Ning's was fun). It is also interesting that you mention the significance of choosing one character over the other for a specific mission; I recall it being particularly helpful at Fan Castle with having to keep Lu Meng around, so I picked him (it also helps that he is one of if not my favorite Wu character). :cool: I think the way officer choice was done in 8 was a tad more neat than how 4 did it with being able to use unlocked characters in general.

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
I think a Pretty Cure Warriors would be fun cuz there are so many different characters in that series that they can pull from anywhere and it's cannon they all know each other cuz of the All Stars Movies.

Here's What I Would Want:

1. Xenoblade Warriors(Has Chain Attacks as its Unique Element that makes it different from Other Musuo Games; and would Crossover Xenoblade 1 & 2 with Xenoblade Chronicles X)
2. Dragon Quest Heroes 3(Complete with More Playable Monster Characters like Lizzie from Dragon Quest VI; some Original Playable Monster Characters; as well as Dragon Quest 11 Characters like Sylvando, Erik, Serena & Veronica, Jade & Sir Hendrick and maybe even some characters from the Currently Confirmed to be in Development Dragon Quest XII)

Last edited:
Another one I would like would be a Persona All Stars. Sure we got Scramble but that's a huge opportunity wasted. I think a multi universe Persona Musou game would be so cool. Having Mokato and Rise on the same team would be cool.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom