• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Smash Bros Smash Bros Ultimate

Threads relating to the Super Smash Bros series.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
I let loose a massive sigh when Incineroar was shown because I've never liked him. I'll get over it eventually. Ken is fine and Piranha Plant is hilarious; it goes to show how creative Sakurai is.

I think they went in to way too much detail for the Spirits mode and other stuff, it honestly killed the pacing pretty hard. It was a lot to take it and I found it pretty overwhelming and confusing. Adventure mode seems cool at least, I hope it lives up to the Subspace Emissary.

My friend who I was chatting with during the live broadcast said he was ok about Ken because "at least it's not Incineroar" and then literally two seconds later, my friend got jinxed. Rip.

Just watched this. Female Robin's render looks really cool. As do the koopalings. still mourning the lack of wedding Bowser tho

Spirit Mode and World of Light are the same. We see them fighting the spirits they showed off earlier on the map.

Spirit Mode singlehandedly saved the direct for me. I was never concerned with newcomers, what I really wanted was an adventurous dedicated singleplayer mode and thats what it is. I'm very happy.

Ah, okay. That was confusing to me. I originally thought Spirits Mode was replacing the standard Event Matches and the World of Light just explains why they came to be. Thank you for the clarification.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I never liked Incineroar but he looks fun to use at least. Honestly if I got mad every time they revealed a newcomer I didn’t care about, I would only be happy about Chrom and Isabelle, lol. I don’t really care that much who gets in considering we’re gonna have a total of 80 after dlc and that’s more than enough. I’m gonna have fun fighting everyone with the characters I do like.

Quin

Disaster Master
^75. Still more than enough tbh

I fully expected a pokemon so this was no surprise to me, too bad its not the owl but I guess a wrestler fits better. I like him more than lucario and geninja already anyway

The spirit stuff they showed was NOT the adventure mode, and thank god for that. it still looked fun but also a little gacha like. might play when bored. Did seem like the devs had a lot of fun with that mode.

I like much better how the online is now. Now I can play stock and with items, and even costumise more! The only people *****ing about this are tourney ***s afraid to touch a single items. With customisable rules as varied as smash there is no other way around it.

Still hoping for a way to turn Marth back to japanese without screwing my whole game language but thats looking bleak.

Disappointing stage builder, home run contest and target smash are gone, but those are things I can deal with.

Plant was great. I hated it for the first 5 minutes because I was an isaac ***, but its such an out there character you just have to love it. Just hope the dlc characters won't be like this but I'm sure they won't be.

And adventure mode looks great. This is basically what I wanted. the overworld is all nintendo franchise themed with specific series like stuff to do it seems, and no subspace terrible scrolling stages full of boring maps and OC enemies. Kinda bummed they bring back some Subspace bosses but as long as there are some nintendo series ones im happy (more than dracula and rathalos atleast)

Not a bad direct. I feel like it would have been better to end on simon and K.rool but im still happy.

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
OK im so sad because Rob can no longer do the beep boom combo. also, Luigi looks like garbage and I'm really sad about that too... Luigi is one of my favorites. Little Mac doesn't look bad anymore because his side B no longer puts him in special fall so no more try hard scrubs sweating themselves off the stage.

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
Alrighty so that new direct. Overall I liked it. Definitely going to want smash.
Ken I figured would be in. Not too surprising. Now Incineroar I have mixed feelings for. On one hand it's yet another pokemon which is going to be like fire emblem with all those pokemon and he just felt too obvious of a choice, but he does look fun to play.
Spirits will I like. It feels like we're putting our collectibles to use and it will be fun to see all the creative ways people use them.
The online has potential. I like the idea of not just playing one set of rules, you may be forced to try something new which keeps you on your toes. Also it's great I don't have to stare at a loading screen when I can play something else while I wait. Custom balancing is also a nice touch.
Now if only we can get Banjo and Kazooie for DLC. 6.00 would be worth it.
Now piranha plant was completely out of nowhere and I think is hilarious. best meme of 2018
Finally the Adventure mode looks cool. Though not expecting a lot, I would love more voiced cut scenes like that. Not surprising Kirby survives the ordeal alone. Overall I am excited for Ultimate. Definitely getting it.

If Nintendo is deciding on DLC characters this time around, I think a Fire Emblem Three Houses rep is almost guaranteed to promote the game. Plus, Sakurai loves the franchise, regardless.

I'm also not so sure about any third party DLC characters anymore, but I'm not sure if it was Sakurai or Nintendo who previously did the negotiations for third party characters in Smash.

@Spirit
I refuse to condone the sharing of anything from that toxic youtube channel.

On a less toxic note,
I did notice this in the direct.

Ax04bqj.jpg

What this is, one of the pages of challenges you can earn challenges from. What is if interest is it says there is a Classic Mode you can earn challenges from. Sakurai has said nothing about a Classic Mode being in Smash Bros U. The pages shown in the direct are

• Smash
  • Spirit Board
  • Spirits
  • Classic Mode
  • Games & More
Here is what I think each of the pages could be referring to.
Smash - That's the 3 different Smash modes. 100 man, All Star and Cruel
Spirit Board - The new Adventure mode in the game.
Spirits - Your ever growing collection of spirits in the game.
Classic Mode - A single player Classic Mode? I can't see it being about anything else.
Games & More - The "& More" part is all of the misceleanous stuff like how many music tracks you've played or how long you've run in my opinion. All that lesser important stuff. The "Games" part though is any one's guess. Is there more content Sakurai wants us to find out as we play the game on launch day? Is there mini games coming to SSBU?

[edit] The Classic mode information has been very recently added to the official site under how to smash. Added after I last checked. But it's up there now.

Last edited:

Quin

Disaster Master
Classic mode was mentioned way back in the 8-8 direct.
Games and more is also the stuff you mention under smash.
Smash is just gonna be stuff like "play this stage 5 times!"

Classic mode was mentioned way back in the 8-8 direct.
Not true, well at least in the european version of that firect. I can't vouch for the US version though.
Games and more is also the stuff you mention under smash.
It could be the multi man smash modes. But if that was the case why is there a separate page called Smash? I guess we will have to wait and see. I think it's for something different though.
Smash is just gonna be stuff like "play this stage 5 times!"
Or stuff like beat the 100 man smash mode with a certain number of characters. Stuff like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom