• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Whats the worst feeling you can get when trying to play?

Which gives you the worst feeling?

• your system won't work

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • your game[s] won't work

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • your controller[s] won't work

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • save data is all gone

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • other

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
The other day I tried to play my PS2, only to find that it wasn't reading the discs I was putting in. After a bit of tinkering it was able to read the discs again, but man did my heart sink when I thought it kicked the bucket. So that got me to think, in terms of something not working right, what's the worst of these that can happen to you? At the moment only these options came to mind so feel free to chime in w/ something of your own

Last edited:
I’d say controller, at least from personal experience. You’ve already got yourself hyped up to play the game, it loads up fine and then disappointment as your character spins round in circles or doesn’t move at all.

System is the worst for me because it's not as easy to figure out the problem. Didn't save? I can re-do it, controller not working? Easier/cheaper to replace that than a console.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Definitely if the save data is gone. If I put time into something I absolutely hate for that time to be wasted so if my work turns out to have been for nothing and the save data is corrupted or gone that was the worst feeling.

Also someone from my primary school erased my saved game on DK64 once which he claimed was an accident still I was angry at him for that and never invited him round to play again.

Save data because i've had it happen to me a couple of times and it always stings.

Lost 300 hours on Pokemon Gold one horrible morning.

And just last year my standard PS4 broke and because I didnt have PSplus i lost all my save data when I replaced the console. Been so bummed about it I still havent yet gone back through most of the games I lost data on.

the worst feeling is when you realize you just entered a Zelda water temple
They are the best ones though. They make you think about more then the current room you are in to beat the puzzles there.

For me it's the dead save data. I can handle all the rest, as I just do soemthnig else. However having hundred of hours of game play wiped away gives you no incentive to play that game again. That happened to me no the WiiU when my external HDD died. I lost over 100 hours each in XCX and Hyrule Warriors. I didn't replay either, as I had no want too. I did replay Hyrule Warriors on Switch though. If XCX was ported to Switch I'd probably play it there though. But on WiiU? Probably never again.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
I don't remember what game this was on, put I had like 50+ hours on this one file and while I was saving there was a power surge and the save became corrupt. It was hands down the worst feeling I ever had. I dont even think I ever played the game again.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I'd say controller spontaneously dying or just the controls slowly failing, always makes me feel like crap cuz i have then fight the controller to be able to enjoy my game.

Close 2nd is losing save data, the amount of times i've just given up on a game i was enjoying because my save data poofed is beyond counting.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Pfft

Topic is perfect timing, coincidentally.

Ya know those games where you're playing and it's like nothing you do ever works?
Like you try to do something the game lets you do and the game's always like "ZOINK! Gotcha! LOL dat din wurk u loose derp!"
Ya know? Games like Red Dead Redemption the Second Travesty?

You know that annoying kid who discovers for the first time that people can be tricked. So he spends all month telling that stupid "joke" about oranges and bananas and repeatedly trying to show you that secret thing he clearly doesn't have in his tiny hands so he can belch in your face when you lean down to look at it even though he's tried it 40 times in the last three days and doesn't yet understand that shot term memory exists? It's a similar experience.

It's hard to keep a chronicle of all these little screw ups while we're busy trying to play the freaking game like we're supposed to be doing. All we know is that we're pissed because everything keeps going wrong. You're trying to run away but get caught on another extended collision mesh and the zombies catch up with you. You're trying to sneak through the level but you have no way of knowing that patrolling guard is just around the corner. You wanted to grab that cool upgrade off the dead soldier but SHHHHHH! the game wants to do story time now. You think you can open that door but, NO! It's just part of the wall even though it looks like every other door in the game. You're trying to get something to happen at a certain time of day but the game's AI algorithms have NPCs randomly getting in your way. All you wanna do is get that collectable but the physics engine just sent it careening off the map and out of bounds for all eternity. Now it's laying at the bottom of the skybox.....

There are infinite examples and every game can have a few instances of these that are a problem occasionally. But then there are the games where this stuff is happening constantly, and no matter what you do, no matter how you play, no matter what approaches, strategies or exploits you employ, the pitfalls just keep coming. Trial and error might get you through one pitfall but you know that just a second later you'll encounter another.

Stormageden747

Zofian General
Save data being gone. A system and controller can be replaced, but save data cannot. You put hours of hard work into that save data and it is heartbreaking when you loose it.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
Save game data for me is a terrible thing to lose. I remember when I was a kid I spent countless hours on Banjo Kazooie and one day I came back to the saved data being lost. Easily the worst feeling in my gaming experiences as a whole.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
On relation to save data being lost. Playing for ages on what you thought was an autosaving game only to learn next time you boot up it's in fact a manual game and doesn't auto save at all so you've just lost 8 hours progress, plus that ultra rare creature you killed for materials.......... (LOOKING AT YOU PS2)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom