• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What do you want Zelda Switch to do better than BotW?

Aonuma has stated that the 'open air' set up of Breath of the Wild will continue into Zelda Switch.

For some that is great news, for others maybe not so much...

What would you like Zelda Switch to do better than BotW?

Would you like a better story?
Faster climbing?
More interesting world?

What are some of the weakest parts of BotW you think Zelda Switch should improve on?

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Smaller world and dungeons are the most important. Removing climbing and durability would also be nice. Going back to 2D styled overworlds (not necessarily a 2D game) would be great too.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Everything. Considering The Witcher 3 did most things better having come out a couple of years before I don't think that is too much to ask for a big developer to be able to produce a comparable product particularly considering the excessive time they give themselves to make and release games.

In particular what I want Zelda to do better than BoTW next time is:

Storytelling- This has actually regressed in the series a lot since TP when it should be improving. BoTW has one of the most thoughtless stories of all. As TP was an 06 game the next Zelda needs to do even better than TP.

Side characters - BoTW's side characters were one dimensional. Many open world games now have side characters with their own backstories and connections to the world. This needs to be the case in future.

Enemy variety - BoTW had a sad lack of enemy types. I complained alot about SS's lack of variety in comparison to TP but BoTW is just as bad.

Useful content in the world - All there is in BoTW is a lot of useless seeds which upgrade your inventory size but there are so many that the majority of them are pointless unless you want a golden turd. There are also loads of weapons which should be rare finds in order to give progress to the game rather than breakable items. Instead the world should be filled with lore stuff and when you find treasure it should be actually useful.

Combat- This includes making fighting fun again like in TP with stylish moves. BoTW's combat is based around just getting a more powerful weapon and one hit killing everything. Some combat which actually requires some strategy would be great. There is also improvement required in terms of weapon durability. Swords shouldnt break like they do in BoTW, they may get dull after heavy use but there is no reason for them to shatter after a few hits. It forces you to pause the action to change weapons, breaking immersion and spoiling the game. It also means that most of the time you are collecting more breakable weapons in order to break them and collect more weapons. After a while I realised it is better not to fight anything as it removes the need to get more weapons.

Voice Acting- Yes it was actually present for once but I don't think a great job was done for certain characters, particularly Zelda though. Aounuma himself said before he would consider using full voice a Hollywood calibre cast would be needed. This is not what we got and I don't think I recognise any of the VA's from BoTW.

DarkestLink

Have we gotten any good VA from a Nintendo first party? Ever? I don't trust them with VA, honestly, and would rather steer clear of that.

Usurper King Zant

King of Twilight
I'd love different voice acting for Zelda (just can't get over the annoying Botw Zelda voice) and to remove durability, or at least not to break 5-6 swords in a single fight

Would you like a better story? Yes.
Faster climbing? No.
More interesting world? Yes.

I hope that the emptiness and one dimensional storytelling of BotW is fixed. Don't get me wrong, actually I liked that BotW did not have much content in it's world and had a simple story, as this in fact highlighted the beautiful theme of the game: empty wilderness where things are left as they are and they survive by their own (you see the connection between theme and Link, Zelda and silent princess flower). I really enjoyed the tundra in BotW because its emptiness. I wouldn't change much of BotW. I like it as it is. In case that Nintendo is going use same engine and world as in BotW, Zelda Switch could be like missing element that completes the story of BotW. Now that the Land of Hyrule has recovered from grasp of Canon, Hyrule should be more vivid.

So I hope for next Zelda:

-complex main story. In wind waker I liked that you got to meet Ganondorf several times. When I went to Forsaken Fortress second time, I thought game was ending but I was gladly surprised that it continued. In BotW you got the final objective from the king in the beginning of the game so you knew the big picture of the game almost right from the start. This should be different in next zelda.

-side quests also could be more complex with more interconnections with the world or with the main story. Tarrey town side quest was fun.

-more challenging puzzles and enemies. This is the most important request to me. Although, I haven't played master mode of BotW yet so perhaps this wish is already granted. In BotW I liked lynels. More enemies of that level of challenge please.

-more challenging boss fights.

-Getting resources (rupees, minerals, food) should be harder. Now it was too easy and made the game too easy.

-Some location related performance issues fixed. In kakariko village and in Korok forests there were bad issues in frame rate. Otherwise performance was good.

I want them to keep in:
-Voice acting as it is now. Especially I liked Zelda's voice
-weapon breaking. It was good thing as it forced player to plan and save weapons and to use them carefully.
-Raining.

Anyway, what ever they decide to do, I'm pretty sure that I won't be disappointed.

Edit. forgot to mention that I'd like to hear more memorable soundtrack. Hateno village had nice music. I loved those string instruments.

Last edited:

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I like the ability to finally explore everything in BotW so I hope they keep this up in the next game. What I want is:
- Better story.
- More sidequests.
- More stuff to explore. In TP you could actually find some caves and holes you could explore. In BotW there ae some caves and holes but all you find is just some valuable breakable stones or some treasure chests. So I hope they add something to it.
- No 999 Korok seeds please! And if they do, make the prize more valuable. Like for instance if you find 100 korok seeds you're weapon durability goes up and stuff like that.
- Better or no voice acting. Some voices were okay but some I could easily do without.
- More dungeons and different bosses. Not one and the same in different shapes.

- Better or no voice acting. Some voices were okay but some I could easily do without.
What voices did you not like? I tried to think of what voices could be better but I cannot think any. Many have disliked Zelda's voice so I guess that you didn't like. But what else should be improved?

- More dungeons and different bosses. Not one and the same in different shapes.
Yes. This should be changed. Now that I think the bosses they all looked too much same.

Be even more politically incorrect. If some of the fans are butthurt because the game is going in a totally new direction, so be it. Let them be offended. The new direction needs to be followed. This is justified by the sales the game had.

What would I want changed for the next game?

Remove armour upgrades
Paying a giant fairy to upgrade your armour just doesn't feel right and it doesn't really help in the game. Also not every armour piece was upgradable. Also being forced to farm those shooting star things that only randomly drop somewhere on the world every so often is so pointless. Just have Link get different armour pieces wiehin his travels.

No RNG loot drops
This was a thing in Skyward Sword and was needed for crafting a few items. Farming these materials was so annoying because it was RNG to get them. This is also the case in BotW. The shooting stars are the worst example in the game. Having hard to get materials are fine. Just make them a one time collectable or respawnable.
For enemy loot, I think having every different enemy dropping the same base types of loot is fine. Of cause they'd each drop the same materials per type of enemy. The weapons could be different though.

Make all collectathon rewards be functionally useful in the game
The golden **** and letter were functionally pointless as they did nothing. The rewards need to be at least a little useful also. A case like in Ocarina of Time where the 100 Skulltula reward was infinite money, pointless because at that point in the game there is nothing left to buy.

A better way to display weapon durability
As it stands in BotW we only know if a weapon is new or a few shots of destroyed. Anything else we don't know. I think we need to know this, that way we can better choose which weapon we want to use in each situation. Maybe a weapon damage meter or percentage would help.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
What voices did you not like? I tried to think of what voices could be better but I cannot think any. Many have disliked Zelda's voice so I guess that you didn't like. But what else should be improved?

Yes. This should be changed. Now that I think the bosses they all looked too much same.

I have to admit that I'm not a voice acting person but that's just me ;) I didn't like Zelda her voice and Mipha. And I wasn't a big fan of Revali's voice but I disliked Revali in general (nasty attitude). However Urbosa and Daruk were perfect.

A better way to display weapon durability
As it stands in BotW we only know if a weapon is new or a few shots of destroyed. Anything else we don't know. I think we need to know this, that way we can better choose which weapon we want to use in each situation. Maybe a weapon damage meter or percentage would help.
You are right that weapon durability should be more visible. But no any meters. Sound of weapon when hitting object could change as the the weapon wears out. Or something similar

I have to admit that I'm not a voice acting person but that's just me ;) I didn't like Zelda her voice and Mipha. And I wasn't a big fan of Revali's voice but I disliked Revali in general (nasty attitude). However Urbosa and Daruk were perfect.
Very interesting how different perception we have from the same subject. I like zelda's and mipha's voices the most. Mipha's voice was so calm and given that Mipha had a role of a healer I think her voice was perfect. Revali's attitude was nasty but I found that cool. Maybe it's that Im not a native english speaker so I perhaps I cant see minor flaws in their voice acting.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Y

Very interesting how different perception we have from the same subject. I like zelda's and mipha's voices the most. Mipha's voice was so calm and given that Mipha had a role of a healer I think her voice was perfect. Revali's attitude was nasty but I found that cool. Maybe it's that Im not a native english speaker so I perhaps I cant see minor flaws in their voice acting.
Hahahaaha I'm not a native english speaker either. I'm dutch ;) And it's okay to not have the same opinions. Otherwise it would be boring. I disliked Revali's bullying and so full of himself behavior. But that fits the story a bit. Not all champions are the same.

Hailing from the UK myself I was initially disappointed that BotW took the stereotypical route of making Zelda sound British, like every other ye olde princess in fantasy...

In the trailers I thought it was okay but in full cutscenes her accent really suffered. Patricia Sommerset is not native to the UK so the accent was fake and it felt to me as of she was putting way too much effort into the accent which then made her delivery and inflections sound off in a lot of places.

I turned the game's voice to Japanese half way through the game, after I had found the cutscene where she says "storrrp forrloring me!"

Ach, nails on a chalkboard.

Reactions: Aku

DarkestLink

Yeah, I have no idea what the hell was up with the voice direction. Did nobody tell her she didn't need to do a fake accent since nobody else, including her Father had one? And if they really wanted an accent why not....hire someone who's actually British?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom