• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do these kids seem nicer to you?

Have kids been behaving better?

• Yes

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • No

Votes: 13 72.2%

• Total voters

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
There's something I noticed.

Kids of all ages seem different. They appear to be acting... nicer. More respectable. More eloquent, even! :eek:

I've encountered kids and teens in my line of work who act friendly and respectable without having to be prompted. They joke. They're witty. They go out of their way to say please and thank you! (it's adorable with the younger ones!)

I just don't remember it being this way for most of my life. In my experience kids are socially awkward and couldn't care less at best, deliberately rude, selfish and standoffish at worst. I remember most of my peers being like that when I was that age. I was too to some extent. Most were so socially crippled they could barely communicate. When the old farts would say "kids these days have no respect" I would agree with them.

Is it just me or are young people behaving better now? Maybe it's just a thing where I'm from. Or maybe I'm just not giving the children of yesteryear enough credit.

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
If theyre really young theyre like nice if with their parent prompting them...otherwise im not sure....

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Definitely not here. Young people here generally seem socially awkward and many don't seem to be able to look you in the eye. It seems rare to find younger people with confidence and good social skills. I don't know if they are just developing them later or just will never do so, time will tell. I imagine they will have to develop the skills to cope with working life.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Not really. More sheltered and naive, sure, but also much more entitled. You don't see them talking about drinking, smoking or sex anymore but I swear it's like every kid I've met has a God complex or something.

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
I feel like kids my age and up are generally either a lot more respectful or a lot less respectful. I think it all depends on who they are friends with as kids and how they were raised. kids younger than me however, all seem like spoiled brats. maybe its just me but when I was growing up, you ask politely for something you want, you don't act obnoxious and interrupt adults, and most importantly you talk to adults respectfully. I see these 12 year olds running around tugging on their mom's arm as she is trying to talk on the phone, 10 year olds ranting about Fortnite like its a religion, 8 year olds screaming at their parents when they don't get the toy they want. I don't think it's the kids fault, I think it's the parents fault. as we are having more and more young parents with "progressive" views on parenting, the kids are starting to get away with more than they should. so in essence, they don't know any better. those of us who are around 18-25 range, we were raised by parents who still had a slightly old fashioned mindset, but in most cases (I can't speak for everyone here), made us much more respectful and disciplined. so are kids behaving better? id say no

Yeah I'm noticing the upcoming generation is at least somewhat more mature across the board that the ones than some of the ones before it. I've never been a fan of my own generation overall and I tend to think this falls pretty in line with kids either just outright rejecting their parents (which isn't really good, but... does happen), or just trying to learn from their parents' mistakes.

I saw a 10-year-or-so-old kid within the past year who carried himself with more quiet confidence and maturity than many adult men. xD

Kids compared to my time?? Absolutely NOT. I'm from 1972 and grew up with showing respect to elderly people no matter what. But kids these days.....don't start me........
Yeah. I assume Castle's referring to kids from the last 10-20 years or so. But even today people still don't have the politeness rules and strictness of proper conduct that used to exist. There's pros and cons to that I think. I like things becoming more casual but I also don't like not showing people respect. =P

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
If we're talking purely on maturity and confidence, then yeah kids are more mature...but I wouldn't inherently say that's a good thing. They're quicker to adapt to the phase of ostracizing peers for social status and trying to undermine authority when they realize that their parents/guardians have no real power over them. Any punishment can they can dish out can be rejected. Any punishment that can't be rejected, such as spanking, is illegal. They're more quick to realize that when an adult says "You're grounded." they can simply laugh and say "No I'm not." and go on with their business.

NintendoCN

Team Captain
As an Assistant Scout Master for my dad's scout troop I deal with kids everyday, it seems like they are behaving better lately, maybe it's just me, or the group but I think so.

NintendoCN

Team Captain
As an Assistant Scout Master for my dad's scout troop I deal with kids everyday, it seems like they are behaving better lately, maybe it's just me, or the group but I think so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom