• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Guilt/sadness/anxiety over something you can't change.

Hero of Pizza Time

Pizza Parker
Hey ZD,

I was thinking this would be better in something like "life advice" but I'm not just asking for help (although that would be nice too), but I also want to hear about other people's experiences and maybe help them if I can.

One of the worst feelings ever (in my opinion) is feeling like something bad is happening/going to happen and not being able to fix it. This could be because you simply don't have the power to change it, but it could also be because it would require an even greater sacrifice, or it may not even be real. It could just be all in your head.

I wanted to talk about this because whenever I'm on my medication, I always feel bad about letting my family down or failing to fulfill my commitments. I always worry that my different people in my family (especially my parents and dog) will die without having done something they really wanted to do.

A strong, unrelenting fear that something bad is going to happen is something most commonly attributed to anxiety attacks. Feelings of hopelessness and powerlessness can be associated with depression. As someone who suffers from both, I can say first-hand that the two interacting with each other is absolutely awful. Fortunately, coping mechanisms for the two are relatively similar. Having a good friend who you can vent to about your concerns/worries, just to get them out in the open can help alleviate a lot of the anxiety. I always regret venting to people because I then fixate on what they think of me being such a mess of a person, so I personally have begun just writing down my thoughts for myself and getting them out that way.

Fall nights used to trigger anxiety attacks for me. Like the stillness backed with just the steady sound of crickets would just fill me with dread, and to this day I am still not completely sure why that happened. This feeling was amplified if I had been rearranging my room. Doesn't make sense, but yeah, that was a thing for me. I don't experience that anymore, but my anxiety comes through in other ways. What stands out to me about the fall night/cricket thing, though is just how nonspecific it was, and I couldn't pinpoint what my dread was directed at, which made it very difficult to cope with.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Hey ZD,

I was thinking this would be better in something like "life advice" but I'm not just asking for help (although that would be nice too), but I also want to hear about other people's experiences and maybe help them if I can.

One of the worst feelings ever (in my opinion) is feeling like something bad is happening/going to happen and not being able to fix it. This could be because you simply don't have the power to change it, but it could also be because it would require an even greater sacrifice, or it may not even be real. It could just be all in your head.

I wanted to talk about this because whenever I'm on my medication, I always feel bad about letting my family down or failing to fulfill my commitments. I always worry that my different people in my family (especially my parents and dog) will die without having done something they really wanted to do.
Believe it or not I have anxiety, but I get over it as best as I can.

Most of the time it is me violently shivering all the sudden for a few seconds, and comes whenever a grade is on the line, or whenever I compete or something. It's not bad though. I haven't connected the dots until about a week ago.

I worry really hard about things I acn't change. If I am not in control, then I have failed is what my brain is trying to say. That is why I just work alone on group projects most of the time.
on another note:

Time may change me.... But I can't change time

Stormageden747

Zofian General
Back in January my best friend came out as transgender. I didn't take it to well and we had a major falling out. It really hurt since we were so close, I started getting more and more depressed, but suddenly we became friends again. So that ended well.

In June a friend and I got in an argument and she blocked me. I'm still having trouble moving on since she wants nothing to do with me. We were insanely close. I know i can't change it but I wish i could.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
Back in January my best friend came out as transgender. I didn't take it to well and we had a major falling out. It really hurt since we were so close, I started getting more and more depressed, but suddenly we became friends again. So that ended well.

In June a friend and I got in an argument and she blocked me. I'm still having trouble moving on since she wants nothing to do with me. We were insanely close. I know i can't change it but I wish i could.
Bro, this is the thing of my nightmares. I am not trying to make you feel bad or anything, because I really don't blame you for reacting the way you did, but **** like this is why I don't want to come out.

Stormageden747

Zofian General
Bro, this is the thing of my nightmares. I am not trying to make you feel bad or anything, because I really don't blame you for reacting the way you did, but **** like this is why I don't want to come out.

Don't worry you didn't make me feel bad. I know what I did was wrong so I apologized and I won't make the mistake again. Though, at the time I was kinds transphobic. Just be careful who you come out to. Plus if they really care about you they would support you no matter what they think of being trans.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
I feel a lot of anxiety about my younger sibling. She's been struggling with life since high school, and has made a lot of questionable decisions. After months of joblessness and getting behind on rent, she up and moved to Utah to be with a girlfriend that I was the only one in our family even knew existed - and that was the extent of my knowledge. She doesn't really think long-term at all, and hasn't even tried to do much beyond call center jobs. She's planning on moving back here with the girl in tow in a few months, but with neither of them up here, they can't really look for apartments or anything. Our grandparents (who she was staying with previously to moving down there) don't really want to house anyones girlfriends, and don't really have the room now that one of our cousins moved into the guest rooms. There's no way my sister would move back in with our parents, even for a limited time. She hates even showing up for holidays if I'm not there. I have no idea what she's going to do in life, and every time I try to bring up the subject she gets angry at me for some reason and avoids the topic. I really don't know what's going on, and with how close we were growing up, I feel like it's partially on me as the older brother to help her figure stuff out, but I can't if she won't let me.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
The worst time in my life due to anxiety and related feelings was during the final two years of high school. I was going through a huge anxiety/sexuality crisis at the time that pretty much consumed me along with the worry about what would happen after leaving high school. Four years on neither of those things really worry me anymore, so I’m glad that things worked out on those fronts.

As for now, I’m pretty concerned about my family back home. My parents are both unemployed due to a disability of one of them and the other caring for the rest of the family. They’ve never had it particularly easy but they’re still struggling. The biggest problem is that the healthcare system seems to be failing to fix or help with the disability (as a result of a car accident) and the welfare system is failing to recognize the disability and thus isn’t paying a disability pension to help them.

Usurper King Zant

King of Twilight
5 years ago I moved to another country because of work, leaving all my family behind.
I do not visit as much as I would love to nor do I speak to them as often I would like and it's quite hard for me.
I lost my mom 3 years ago (by chance, I was at home when that happened).

However, my dad is quite unwell ever since and every time I come home I see a man I love just slowly fading away.

I am afraid of a phone call saying he is gone. I don't want to receive that call.

I am planning to return back home for good in next couple of years but dread of the possibility it might be too late.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom