• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Preferred Book Format

Which book format do you prefer?

• Hardback

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Paperback

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • eBook/Kindle

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Other (.pdf/ancient scroll/stone tablet/etc.)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Books!

But how do you read them?

Books come in a few different formats and different people like different ones. But which one do you like the most? And which do you hate, if any? And why?

Typically books are available in three main formats: hardback, paperback, and eBook.

Do you like the solid sophistication of a hardback book?

Or do you like the rough-and-ready ease of a paperback?

Or are you a digital future person who stores all their books as bytes and bits and electric pips?

Maybe you read your books in some other format that I'm not aware of. If so, tell us all about it.

Never got into the ebook format. Guess it's kind of like how I still prefer physical copies of games. Prefer actual books. But it's a toss-up between hardback and paperback for me. Both have their advantages, and they balance out, in my opinion. I like the durability of hardbacks, but I have to take the sleeves off while I'm reading or they'll drive me crazy. Paperbacks, I have to hold really weird so I don't risk creasing the spine, but they are less bulky, and aren't as tall--which is great when it comes to shelving. Though I will say, if it is a series, I prefer them either to be all hardback or all paperback. Most of my series are in hardback as I get them before they print them in paperback, and they look quite nice on my shelf.

Hate eBooks.

I read plenty of stuff online like reviews and articles but reading novels etc in any eFormat feels wrong to me. I need an actual book.

I prefer hardback over paperback. It's not as easy to damage the spine of a hardback and they arent as tightly bound as paperbacks.

I never travel and read so the space a hardback takes up is no issue for me.

Ninja

Well well well
Currently using an iPad for my books and with the dark gray background it’s easy to read in bed.

The wife on the other hand, it’s physical copies or bust.

Mido

Version 1
I would by lying if I said that I was not beyond tempted to vote other solely for the ancient scroll option.

Paperback's my go-to regarding book formats. Easy to use, and mostly cheaper than their hardcover counterparts. This is not to say I don't like hardcover. I suppose the matter is mostly one of utility for me. While I do use online formats such as .pdf documents from time to time, I don't like when one has to tilt the screen in order to adjust to the way the .pdf document was scanned. It can be frustrating sometimes.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Paperbacks, I have to hold really weird so I don't risk creasing the spine

I prefer hardback over paperback. It's not as easy to damage the spine of a hardback
:eek: Creasing the spines of paperbacks is one of my favourite things in the whole world. I love that feeling of give when you've read enough to first fold it back on itself and how they open like a flower afterwards. I love the look of a creased spine, too. It's like the rings of a tree showing its age, the wear on the spine shows just how much you love a certain book. I also like when a book is almost fluid in my hands. Delightful :)

A friend of mine who reads a lot of non-ficiton and always brings me books to borrow doesn't like creases in his paperbacks, so I always have to handle them with an alien care when I read his books. It always feels weird. I usually only open the books a little bit to not break the spine and it always feels like I'm reading in secret, opening it just enough for me to peek inside. It always feels so good to grab one of my own books afterwards and open it to about 317 degrees.

As I'm sure you can tell by now, I prefer paperbacks as far as physical formats go. Like @Satan, I also don't like the dust jackets on hardbacks and have to take them off, which usually means I have this oddly shaped piece of glossy paper hanging around for a while as I read. I also don't like how many hardback editions are just physically bigger than paperbacks. It's unecessary in my view. Hardbacks do look nice when on a shelf, but as I said, I much prefer seeing a row of weathered and worn paperbacks to pristine hardbacks because I can see which I liked best from how much the book had to endure me reading it.

I do, however, also quite like reading eBooks on my Kindle. I was unsure of the Kindle at first but I really took to it after giving it a chance. It's incredibly handy in numerous ways (backlight for reading at night, storage for a large number of books literally in my pocket, dictionary and search functions so I can quickly check on words I'm seeing for the first time, a handy highlighting function for memorable lines or information I want to reference, and the ability to change the font and character size is also a really nice touch) and I really enjoy using it. I still prefer paperbacks, but the Kindle is up there for me in a close second.

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
I prefer paperbacks with their weight and flexibility in bed and bath,I also like the height bein pretty much the same but then i have the Kindle which , like @Cfrock i was unsure about at first but now its always in my bag for on the go reading...

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Nothing can ever replace good old fashioned parchment. If anything ever does the human race is screwed.

You know what I love about paper?
- It doesn't have batteries
- It doesn't require an internet connection
- It doesn't need time to load
- And when you turn the page, it never gives you an error message

Paperbacks are simply handy, easier to carry, lighter, easier to store, easier to manipulate. Hardcovers often come in jackets which are cumbersome and usually end up getting torn up. The hardcover itself will hold up well over time, so if you want your book to last forever hardcover has ya covered.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Hardback for sure.

I hate online reading unless I have to. Real books are better and honestly more convenient.

Paperback is nice but it doesn't feel the same or look the same. However, I really don't care much in the end

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom