• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Has a death in a book or film or game got to you alot??

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
I was reading the subtle knife and i had to stop for a little while to have a cry at Lee Scoresby death, trying to defend an acquaintances escape by shooting the bad guys so the friend could get to the main characters and it was a full on sob! Wondered if you guys ever cried at a fictional characters death...

Ninja

Well well well
Tidus leaving at the end of FFX gets me at times, especially when To Zanarkand is playing.

John Coffey in The Green Mile gets me sad as well.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Granny Weatherwax in The Shepherd's Crown by Terry Pratchett.

This was the last book Sir Terry ever wrote before he died, the only one that says he "was" the author of Discworld instead of saying he "is" the author of Discworld. I didn't read it for a year after it came out because I didn't think I'd be able to get through it. When I eventually did, it hit hard in a way I never really expected.

Granny Weatherwax is a witch, the most well-known witch in all of Discworld. She's one of Pratchett's most beloved characters because of her iron will, rock solid sense of justice, and her belief that someone has to be there for the normal, everday people that the world seems to care so little for. She dies in Shepherd's Crown, passing away in her sleep. The bulk of the story is what the Witches do to adjust to a world without Granny Weatherwax in it.

Pratchett had other books he wanted to write after this one, so I know that he didn't know he was going to die, that this would be his last, but it's not possible for me to read this book as anything other than Pratchett preparing his readers for his own death. For the last fifteen years or so, many of the Discworld novels have featured characters in prominent positions in the world subtlely grooming other characters to take over for them. Watch Commander Sam Vimes seems set to be replaced by Captains Carrot (a six foot dwarf) and Angua (his werewolf girlfriend). Mustrum Ridcully, archchancellor of the wizard's university, seems to be grooming a young wizard unfamiliar with the hindering traditions of the faculty called Ponder Stibbons to succeed him. Lord Vetinari, the ruler of Ankh-Morpork, seems to be grooming con-man turned reluctant civil servant Moist Von Lipwig into a capable ruler. Running beneath everything else going on in Discworld is this recurring theme of continuation, that although some things inevitably end, there will always be someone to follow in the footsteps of heroes, their works will carry on, the things they taught us will endure beyond them. The Shepherd's Crown is explicitly about this, about how the Witches can continue to follow Granny Weatherwax's example even though she herself is gone, how her legacy will outlive her. The book is about dealing with the loss of a beloved mentor and friend and offers reassurance that the world won't stop turning, that life can and will go on, and that we are stronger people for having known these friends.

I can't read this book as anything other than Pratchett talking about himself and his own impending death. Of all his characters, Granny Weatherwax was the one most like Sir Terry himself, so the parallels draw themselves. None of his recurring characters have ever died before, so when Granny Weatherwax passed away it was a shock, almost more so since it happened so peacefully, not unlike Sir Terry's own death. This book is like a reassuring hug from the man himself, a final message telling us that it's not as bad as it feels, and reminding us one last time that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken.

In books, multiple deaths in Diane Duane's Young Wizards series. It gets worse when you go to reread them, and fully comprehend certain early Time Heart dreams.

Also, in fanfiction, Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality, Hermione, I stopped reading and developed some kind of complex over it or something (pretty sure I don't need a psychologist to tell me it wasn't full-blown PTSD but it might've been a severely watered-down distant cousin). I first read that scene while the fic was still in progress, and since I've learned certain things about the ending that stopped the occasional remembering and agonizing over it and I hope to be able to go back and reread and finish the fic someday.

Masked Bastard

formerly Captain B
Not a death, perse, but the sudden disappearance of Schala in Chrono Trigger bothered me a lot, especially since the game never bothers to address whether or not she is still alive, and only mentions her brother going to look for her at the end.

Turned out, later games reveal she *did* survive, but whether or not her brother has as well is unclear.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Yer off the edge of the map, Sonny! Here there be SPOILERS!

The last one's pretty safe for anyone who hasn't seen Fury.

The death of [blank] in Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. Anyone who's seen it knows who I'm talking about. TTSS is lauded for being the gritty "realistic" take on spycraft, so abandon all hope ye who enter here. There are no heroes to swoop in and save the day in the last moment. Character's death is sudden, merciless, cruel, and pointless. Not to mention graphic.

The ultimate fate of the High Entia in Xenoblade: Chronicles. Man that story does a *great* job getting me to want to kick the bejesuz out of the bad guys.

The death of [blank] in Fury. Ya know? The one about the tank? Anyway the character has a red crosshair painted on em the instant they show up. I mean it's a war movie called Fury, there's just no way this sweet wholesome little German lass the American newbie tank gunner is crushing on is going to survive her scene. Okay I guess I just gave it away. Now, normally I'd write this one off for being the next token fridge girl. But somehow it's put to effective use in Fury. See, as the title suggests, this movie really really wants to piss you off - like the cast of characters are. I don't think I've ever had a movie get me to emphasize with the characters like Fury has. By the time the epic climax comes along I was freaking livid and all I wanted was to see scores of dead nazis. The movie delivers plenty in that regard, but after I left the theater... I was a bit shell shocked. If that's the effect the film makers were going for, they nailed it.

LegendOfMeesh

You Are The Light
One word- Dumbledore. I was inconsolable after reading about his death.. His death in the film is awful as well, but reading about his death in the book really hit me hard.

Also, I’m currently rewatching my favorite TV series House MD for the millionth time. There are two episodes, House’s Head and Wilson’s Heart. I won’t go into detail but someone dies and it makes me sob every time I watch the episodes. We’re talking some serious ugly crying here. Coincidentally, those are the next episodes I have on the DVR... :kawaii:

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
One word in harry potter is Dobby. Only caught his death scene and was in tears....

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
Laverne's death in Scrubs. It's so well done and the song choice as she finally passes away, like every song choice in Scrubs, is excellent. Carla's goodbye is probably the strongest acting of Judy Reyes career. The whole thing is emotional and a scene I can't watch with a dry eye no matter how often I see it.

This is probably not a well-known book series, but the finale of The Bartimaus Trilogy and the death of Nathaniel at the end. I can't remember how old I was when I read this, but I remember tears. It's a death that I think really captures sacrifice well.

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
Laverne's death in Scrubs. It's so well done and the song choice as she finally passes away, like every song choice in Scrubs, is excellent. Carla's goodbye is probably the strongest acting of Judy Reyes career. The whole thing is emotional and a scene I can't watch with a dry eye no matter how often I see it.

This is probably not a well-known book series, but the finale of The Bartimaus Trilogy and the death of Nathaniel at the end. I can't remember how old I was when I read this, but I remember tears. It's a death that I think really captures sacrifice well.

Regarding your first spoiler.
That one was good. But Ben's death always gets me. That whole episode is amazingly done. Like how he says something about having a camera in his hands til the day he dies or something similar. Then the parts where he's not really there he no longer has his camera with him. And then the ending when Cox thinks he's at his son's birthday party and JD asks him "Where do you think we are?" and they're actually at Ben's funeral. Just so well done.

Reactions: Doc
Bruh my n**** Portgas D. Ace, favorite character in the entire OP verse, god that **** got me crying for real yo
317df37f700568aa01410d7922bc78b5e5c4193c_hq.gif

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
And the bits after were good too...

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
In a serial series i frequently read (robin hobb, go read her, damn good books) one of the titular characters die and my god does it hurt when it does i've read the series quite a lot of times and still i feel the pain, not gonna say who incase it ruins it though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom