• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Bad character introductions

Sometimes media really screws up the introduction of characters, even if these characters are interesting and well written/portrayed, their introductions may not have been so great.

For me, I'll start with Silva in Skyfall (yes, I watched that film recently) his character is fine and he is played by an actor well worth his salt but oh dear his first scene is a bit of a wreck.

We first see him enter a room from a door at the far end of it. He awkwardly walks towards a captive Bond and constantly runs his mouth.

What he is saying is fine, but having a character we dont know and have not seen before enter from such a bad vantage point with such a solid wall of dialogue completely ruins his mystique.

He is too far away, we cant get a good look so he doesnt seem imposing, we arent listening to what he is saying because we're too busy trying to figure out if we've seen him before, the one continuous shot until he reaches Bond from the far end of the room adds to an increasing frustration until it ends and we get a better look and he shuts up.

This scene really bugs me because i know what they were attempting but for me it achieves the opposite of what was intended.

(Im sorry again @Cfrock)

So, which characters can you think of that had bad introductions/first impressions?

Last edited:

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
Loads in my medical shows like i really hate them and they never really grow on me....

Ninja

Well well well
Tidus from FFX comes to mind. Starts off as the spoiled star of the city, and initially is bratty to his guardian Auron, however really grows later on.

Hero of Pizza Time

Pizza Parker
Peter Parker/Spider-Man in Captain America: Civil War. It was pretty late into the movie when we first see him and they were just talking about how much they miss the Hulk right before.

So we first get a view of his butt moving through some hallways with some truly funky 70s music playing. And we find out that he is in fact Peter Parker when he says "Hey May." When Tony and Peter talk in private, how come there isn't even one nod to the previous movies? I know it's supposed to be a new Spidey but one nod to the Raimi trilogy would not really mess up the continuity.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Sometimes media really screws up the introduction of characters, even if these characters are interesting and well written/portrayed, their introductions may not have been so great.

For me, I'll start with Silva in Skyfall (yes, I watched that film recently) his character is fine and he is played by an actor well worth his salt but oh dear his first scene is a bit of a wreck.

We first see him enter a room from a door at the far end of it. He awkwardly walks towards a captive Bond and constantly runs his mouth.

What he is saying is fine, but having a character we dont know and have not seen before enter from such a bad vantage point with such a solid wall of dialogue completely ruins his mystique.

He is too far away, we cant get a good look so he doesnt seem imposing, we arent listening to what he is saying because we're too busy trying to figure out if we've seen him before, the one continuous shot until he reaches Bond from the far end of the room adds to an increasing frustration until it ends and we get a better look and he shuts up.

This scene really bugs me because i know what they were attempting but for me it achieves the opposite of what was intended.

(Im sorry again @Cfrock)

So, which characters can you think of that had bad introductions/first impressions?
Come to think of it, Silva does have a pretty bad intro...

Dr. Strange had a very unneeded appearance in Thor Ragnarok, and it seemed forced, and childish. While I love Dr. Strange, I just did not like his intro in that movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom