• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Disappointing bosses

Ever played a game where the bosses looked awesome but were actually a major disappointment?

Did you look forward to meeting a boss only to be underwhelmed by the design and battle when it was finally revealed?

Pretty much all of the bosses in Skyward Sword, but I found tentalus to be especially disappointing because I really liked the sandship as a dungeon, and the starting sequence of the bossfight where the ship flooded was a really cool build-up and then... just... tentalus was beyond stupid. Stupid design, stupid boss mechanics, just everything about him (her?).

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Tentalus for me is one of the most dissapointing. I never liked the Sand Ship to begin with but then to top it all off you have to fight a monsters Inc character. Don't get me wrong I like Monsters Inc but Tentalus looks goofy as **** like a lot of enemy designs from that game when enemies are supposed to be intimidating.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Ya, gotta concur with the above. Tentalus is the definition of disappointing. It looks ridiculously goofy, the battle is extremely generic (in a game that had some otherwise fairly creative battles, mind you), and it's easy. It's especially disappointing when it has such a cool build up, with the tentacles smashing the ship and actually giving you a sense of danger, just to surface and see... whatever the hell it's supposed to be. I was expecting some sort of intimidating Kraken monster, and then that happened. Massive disappointment, especially considering the Sandship is a top tier dungeon in that game otherwise.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
May as well start by agreeing with everyone above (except on the point that the Sanship is a good dungeon. I found it really boring, personally). Tentalus starts off great, running through the ship as it gets smashed up, but then it's just a goofy children's cartoon character and quite pathetic. While we're all going over how bad Skyword Sword is again, Ghirahim is a hugely disappointing boss fight. I can give him a pass for the Skyview Temple (just barely, mechanically he's literally a bokoblin), but when he turned out to be the boss of the Fire Sanctuary I was so let down, especially as the fight wasn't significantly different. I knew I'dhave to fight him again, and his final fight is also just more of the same: Wait for him to raise an arm, attack from opposite direction, rinse, repeat. Demise is another glaring example. The pure manifestation of evil in the world and you can literally beat him by laconically waving your arm left and right, which I did on my second playthrough to prove the point. The only boss worth note in Skyward Sword is Koloktos, mainly for an interesting design (the fight is another 'look which direction to swing, execute' affair).

Christ, that game is so boring.

Outside SS, the first two bosses in Crash Bandicoot 2 are really disappointing. Ripper Roo is beaten by literally standing still in a secific spot six times. No challenge, no drama. The Komodo Bros are also pathetically easy. It's like they aren't making any effort to hurt you. The final battle with Cortex is also a major disappointment. You have a jetpack and chae him along a path. Hit him three times and he's toast. Hardly what I'd call thrilling or challenging.

Almost all of the bosses in Resident Evil 0 are disappointing, too, because many are just giant animals, like the giant scorpion on the train. Wow, so creative, Capcom. I'm really horrified by the implication of the T-Virus knowing it seems to just make things bigger. Bone chilling...

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Majority of SS bosses were disappointing, i thought what with this magic new tech (new for the time) the fights would be bloody good, instead we stabbed toes and poked eyes.....As usual. Only boss in that game who wasn't disappointing was koloktos.

Almost all of the bosses in the Wind Waker were terribly disappointing. They didn't stick out as the game as a whole is also disappointing.
One of the bosses is literally a clone of Andross from the Star Fox games. Seriously Aonuma, he could have though of something at least a little less of a complete rip off.

The Drum in Ocarina of Time was weird and terrible at the same time. Miyamoto and co should have thought of something a little less ****.
The Phantom Ganandorf fight was not good either. Well it was a nice fight, the downside is it's almost the same as the first part of the actual Ganondorf fight. We only need one lightball tennis fight in a game. Also this idea of a tennis style boss was ripped straight from ALTTP.

Looking past Zelda games, I think the Super Mario Bros 3 boss fights were a little weak. The same 3 hits for them all and Bowser was just an avoid him so Bowser suicides through the bricks. We all know that otherwise Super Mario Bros 3 was a masterpiece, but the boss fights are probably the weakest part.

Super Mario 64 has the same issue. The same Boweser fight 3x over just a little harder each time. This is the weakest part of the game.

Hero of Pizza Time

Pizza Parker
Dracula in Super Castlevania IV was a complete joke. He doesn't transform into a giant bat like the other games and all that happens is his head gets replaced

Starfox Adventures

The game had you thinking you'd fight that cool huge Raptor like boss that was harassing you all game. But noooooo. At the last second, the game gives the player the middle finger and make you instead fight Andross yet again as the last boss.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
A lot of the Zelda final bosses tbh. I liked Ganondorf from OoT and TP, but the rest feel very underwhelming. You get all of this buildup for the final battle and then the final boss--every single one of them that isn't OoT/TP Ganondorf--goes down in a minute. A literal minute. In the case of BOTW he has a second form after that, but the AI is so pathetically stupid I don't even count it.

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
BotW Ganon
Was the easiest thing ever. You'd have to try to get hit. The Blights were much harder

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom