• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Octopath Traveller

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
Definitely just used Bewildering Gaze and turned a goat into a cait AND got x5 xp in the same dance! I think my main gained 5 levels in a single battle!
pnmuLNIsj

Last edited:
Definitely just used Bewildering Gaze and turned a goat into a cait AND got x5 xp in the same dance! I think my main gained 5 levels in a single battle!
pnmuLNIsj
There are 3 different caits in the game, well that's how many I've discovered. The mid level cait gives about 1.5x-2x the amount of XP shown there. The high level cait I couldn't kill as I can't do enough damage before it runs away.

I cannot do this game. Im 6 levels above recommended and i cannot kill this boss.
Actually a little cheese helps a lot. There are ways to buff your damage and get some really powerful attacks out. That's how I fight the bosses. As well as removing their shields as often as possible. For all the many reasons that removing all of an enemy's shields is good for in game.

I'm sure you'll eventually get it done. Good luck.

If you are thinking of trying to get the 4x special jobs / classes in the game you have to beat a special boss to earn it. Each of these boses, 4x in total, are very hard. I have tried them with a team of all level 55 characters with decent gear and they kick my ass. These bosses are seriously hard and require the right set up to beat them. Even though their shrines say recommended Lv50, that I think is just for the regular enemies in the shrine. The boss will wrek you at Lv50. I am thinking a level 60-70 team would fare much better.

I just hope there is an even harder boss in the game than these 4 because I don't waant to earn these 4x special class and have nothing to properly use these classes on.

@Hyrulian Hero @Spirit @YIGAhim

***Spoiler alert ***
Only read this spoiler if you want to read how I beat a few specific bosses in the game.

How I beat the 4 special job/class bosses in their shrine dungeons

A few things to know first that apply to all 4 battles

• Get all 4 characters to level 55-ish
  • Learn when to use Leghold trap. You need to have it active all of the time except when you are about to break the boss because that prevents his turn anyway.
  • Plan your turns ahead. You can see the order your characters attack in the next turn. This is very important because most of the time you want the buffing characters to have their turn before your attacking characters, for the obvious reason you want to buff them before you attack with them.
  • Save your burst combo attack for when the boss is broken. Obvious I know but well worth mentioning.
  • Visit all of the 3 towns in each zone as well as everyone in each town so you can buy/steal the best gear that you’ll need for this.
  • Have healing items. The mid strength berries and the bunch of berries.
  • Have BP restoring items that your 4th character can use when required on everyone else.

Steorra the Starseer

It’s best to do her first as she is beatable with the standard classes/jobs in the game.

She attacks mostly with spells. AOE ones that hit really hard but there is a way to beat this.
Divine Skill - Sealticge’s Seduction + Reflective Veil (at max BP)
What this does is when the boss does her triple hit AOE attack, all of the shots are reflected back at the boss. That’s 3 shots per character by 4 characters for a total of 12 reflected shots. At roughly 1k per shot, that’s 12k damage. Nothing to be sneezed at. This is your main source of damage.

Note well all buffs like this can stack to 9 turns or 9 uses max, so yes it does stack. In this case it’s 9 hits, and the 3 hit AOE obviously takes off 3 stacks of your Reflective Veil each time.
Also having someone with the Scholar job is very nice so you can burn through the boss armour quickly to break her. This gives you more turns to set up the Reflective Veil combo.
When she cases the remove debuff ability of your characters one by one, just keep the Reflective Veil combo up as much as you can on everyone else and heal/revive the 4th character when it dies.

This fight is tough and can take a while but it’s not too hard.

Dreisang the Archmagus

His fight is very similar to Steorra the Starseer and how you win is very similar. Sealticge’s Seduction + Reflective Veil combo as mentioned above. However for this battle you do want a quite a few heal confusion items. As the boss can confuse you a lot.
Also the boss can AOE prevent you from buffing your team for a few turns. That’s ok. If you have stacks of Reflective Veil you should survive through so you can use the combo again.
Also using the multi hit skills that the various classes have to break the boss quickly over and over really help a lot.
Even though this boss feels like it should be harder than the previous one, it’s not. Very doable after a few tries.

Bolgar the Runeblade

Very hard boss, that has a nasty AOE attack, can put your characters to sleep and has a enrage mode.
Firstly bring along a few cure sleep items. Secondly you’ll need an Apothecary class as well as a Merchant class here. Purely for the BP boosting and sharing.

I tried many different ways to beat this boss but all failed. Well almost all, I did work out one way to win. Using brute magical force. The key here is the following combo:
Aelfric’s Auspices + Alephan’s Enlightment + a Sorcerer 3 hit spell (with Maxed BP).
Also you need the Sorcerer to have the BP Eater Support Skill equipped.

For Support Skills you can only have 4 equipped at once. But you can have them from many different jobs. Once you unlock a support skill with a character you can always use it with them, even if you’re not using the class it came from.
Note Well - you have to unlock each support skill separately, meaning if you want the same support skill on two different characters, you have to unlock it 2x separately, once for each character.

The BP Eater Support Skill buffs by quite a large amount any skill you use boosted with BP.

For reference my Scholar had the following 4 support skills for this battle.

Elemental Augmentation
BE Eater
Augmented Elements
Second Wind

The Merchant and Apothecary are important because you’ll need to feed the characters buffing the Sorcerer and the Sorcerer itself with lots of BP. Donate BP of cause and also the concoct recipe of purifying dust + essence of pomegranate. That gives the entire team 2BP.

So when set up properly and geared well you need to finally know when to act in a turn and when to defend. Defending puts that character at the start of the next turn. This matters because you want to buff your big sorcerer before he hits.

When you get your combo off.
Aelfric’s Auspices + Alephan’s Enlightment + a Sorcerer 3 hit spell (with Maxed BP).
On the broken boss, that’s 6 hits each for 9999 damage. Would Surpassing power get each hit past 9999? I don’t know, I didn’t use it, but it’s worth a try.
3-4 turns of 6x 9999 damage is enough to beat the boss.

If you wait too long his runes have an opening and the next turn you get hit for 2x nasty AOE attack, which will most likely kill your party. This doesn’t happen though until you’ve broken the boss a few times though.
This boss is much harder than the other two, but it’s not impossible.

Winnehild the Warbringer

This boss only attacks with physical attacks and lots of them, so much that trying to heal and attack gets quite difficult. But we’re going to ignore all of that and use some delicious cheese.
One of the characters in the party has to be merchant/runelord
This does mean you need Tressa at a decent level, 50+ for this battle
You also need an apothecary. Doesn’t matter if it’s primary or secondary.

The cheese here is transfer rune + sidestep.
This basically allows everyone to sidestep the bosses attacks. If played well, once you have the set up going, either on turn 2 or turn 3, depending on your RNG luck with the player attack order, that’s it you’ll never be physically attacked again by this boss.

You just have to keep both buffs up on Tressa so she buffs everyone with sidestep. The goal is to have at least 6 stacks of side step on everyone at all times. To get enough BP for this, you get the Apothecary to concoct the 2 BP per turn for the party almost every single turn. Only stopping when the party is near or at max BP.

But how to actually do damage? Doesn’t matter really, you can take as long as you want. I just used Aelfric’s Auspices on my Sorcerer to get 6 weak point hits every turn.
Note Well, this boss is only weak to the staff and magic. No other weapon will break it.

My 4th character did little apart from be the item giver. The only item he needed to give a few times over was the mana restore items to Tressa could keep buffing herself and casting sidestep on everyone.

Without the cheese this boss is pretty hard, however with the cheese, this boss is the easiest of the 4. However it does require the runelord class so you have to beat that tough fight first.

@Hyrulian Hero @Spirit @YIGAhim

***Spoiler alert ***
Only reas this spoiler if you want to read how I beat a few specific bosses in the game.

How I beat the 4 special job/class bosses in their shrine dungeons

A few things to know first that apply to all 4 battles

• Get all 4 characters to level 55-ish
  • Learn when to use Leghold trap. You need to have it active all of the time except when you are about to break the boss because that prevents his turn anyway.
  • Plan your turns ahead. You can see the order your characters attack in the next turn. This is very important because most of the time you want the buffing characters to have their turn before your attacking characters, for the obvious reason you want to buff them before you attack with them.
  • Save your burst combo attack for when the boss is broken. Obvious I know but well worth mentioning.
  • Visit all of the 3 towns in each zone as well as everyone in each town so you can buy/steal the best gear that you’ll need for this.
  • Have healing items. The mid strength berries and the bunch of berries.
  • Have BP restoring items that your 4th character can use when required on everyone else.

Steorra the Starseer

It’s best to do her first as she is beatable with the standard classes/jobs in the game.

She attacks mostly with spells. AOE ones that hit really hard but there is a way to beat this.
Divine Skill - Sealticge’s Seduction + Reflective Veil (at max BP)
What this does is when the boss does her triple hit AOE attack, all of the shots are reflected back at the boss. That’s 3 shots per character by 4 characters for a total of 12 reflected shots. At roughly 1k per shot, that’s 12k damage. Nothing to be sneezed at. This is your main source of damage.

Note well all buffs like this can stack to 9 turns or 9 uses max, so yes it does stack. In this case it’s 9 hits, and the 3 hit AOE obviously takes off 3 stacks of your Reflective Veil each time.
Also having someone with the Scholar job is very nice so you can burn through the boss armour quickly to break her. This gives you more turns to set up the Reflective Veil combo.
When she cases the remove debuff ability of your characters one by one, just keep the Reflective Veil combo up as much as you can on everyone else and heal/revive the 4th character when it dies.

This fight is tough and can take a while but it’s not too hard.

Dreisang the Archmagus

His fight is very similar to Steorra the Starseer and how you win is very similar. Sealticge’s Seduction + Reflective Veil combo as mentioned above. However for this battle you do want a quite a few heal confusion items. As the boss can confuse you a lot.
Also the boss can AOE prevent you from buffing your team for a few turns. That’s ok. If you have stacks of Reflective Veil you should survive through so you can use the combo again.
Also using the multi hit skills that the various classes have to break the boss quickly over and over really help a lot.
Even though this boss feels like it should be harder than the previous one, it’s not. Very doable after a few tries.

Bolgar the Runeblade

Very hard boss, that has a nasty AOE attack, can put your characters to sleep and has a enrage mode.
Firstly bring along a few cure sleep items. Secondly you’ll need an Apothecary class as well as a Merchant class here. Purely for the BP boosting and sharing.

I tried many different ways to beat this boss but all failed. Well almost all, I did work out one way to win. Using brute magical force. The key here is the following combo:
Also you need the Sorcerer to have the BP Eater Support Skill equipped.

For Support Skills you can only have 4 equipped at once. But you can have them from many different jobs. Once you unlock a support skill with a character you can always use it with them, even if you’re not using the class it came from.
Note Well - you have to unlock each support skill separately, meaning if you want the same support skill on two different characters, you have to unlock it 2x separately, once for each character.

The BP Eater Support Skill buffs by quite a large amount any skill you use boosted with BP.

For reference my Scholar had the following 4 support skills for this battle.

Elemental Augmentation
BE Eater
Augmented Elements
Second Wind

The Merchant and Apothecary are important because you’ll need to feed the characters buffing the Sorcerer and the Sorcerer itself with lots of BP. Donate BP of cause and also the concoct recipe of purifying dust + essence of pomegranate. That gives the entire team 2BP.

So when set up properly and geared well you need to finally know when to act in a turn and when to defend. Defending puts that character at the start of the next turn. This matters because you want to buff your big sorcerer before he hits.

When you get your combo off.
On the broken boss, that’s 6 hits each for 9999 damage. Would Surpassing power get each hit past 9999? I don’t know, I didn’t use it, but it’s worth a try.
3-4 turns of 6x 9999 damage is enough to beat the boss.

If you wake too long his runes have an opening and the next turn you get hit for 2x nasty AOE attack, which will most likely kill your party. This doesn’t happen though until you’ve broken the boss a few times though.
This boss is much harder than the other two, but it’s not impossible.

Winnehild the Warbringer

This boss only attacks with physical attacks and lots of them, so much that trying to heal and attack gets quite difficult. But we’re going to ignore all of that and use some delicious cheese.
One of the characters in the party has to be merchant/runelord
This does mean you need Tressa at a decent level, 50+ for this battle
You also need an apothecary. Doesn’t matter if it’s primary or secondary.

The cheese here is transfer rune + sidestep.
This basically allows everyone to sidestep the bosses attacks. If played well, once you have the set up going, either on turn 2 or turn 3, depending on your RNG luck with the player attack order, that’s it you’ll never be physically attacked again by this boss.

You just have to keep both buffs up on Tressa so she buffs everyone with sidestep. The goal is to have at least 6 stacks of side step on everyone at all times. To get enough BP for this, you get the Apothecary to concoct the 2 BP per turn for the party almost every single turn. Only stopping when the party is near or at max BP.

But how to actually do damage? Doesn’t matter really, you can take as long as you want. I just used Aelfric’s Auspices on my Sorcerer to get 6 weak point hits every turn.
Note Well, this boss is only weak to the staff and magic. No other weapon will break it.

My 4th character did little apart from be the item giver. The only item he needed to give a few times over was the mana restore items to Tressa could keep buffing herself and casting sidestep on everyone.

Without the cheese this boss is pretty hard, however with the cheese, this boss is the easiest of the 4. However it does require the runelord class so you have to beat that tough fight first.

Yes but i'm stuck on the first boss.

Helgenish in Primrose's chapter. She's the 4th character i'm recruiting
That boss was a tough one. I did her second and all I had was Tressa and Primrose. Which makes it easier as the game scales up the Ch1 difficulties for the first 4 you do, but the next 4 are all the same difficulty as you can't have more than 4 party members.

I actually found that one pretty hard. But I got through it by using lots of healing (items) and killing the adds first. Then I just focused on breaking the boss and then hitting it hard while broken. Also if you haven't, you'll need to go and buy the best gear in town for your party. It helps a lot. I would say she's was the 2nd hardest boss of the 8 for the Ch1 stories in my opinion. Also remember to think about any ability combos you might be able to use with your characters.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
Helgenish in Primrose's chapter. She's the 4th character i'm recruiting

I found that I needed to do a bit of grinding on a couple of occasions so I went out to an area that was about my level and started stabbing, fireballing, and kitty cat clawing everything that moved. After a couple hours of this, I had gained a few levels and was able to proceed in the story but I soon found the need to grind again.

This time, I tried hitting up an area that was way out of my league, something like seven levels above my party average. The fights were difficult but I sucked it up and used items and costly specials and found that it was entirely worth it. Every battle won in this way would level up at least one character and the loot in each area increases adequately with its difficulty leaving you able to buy any items you need to use during a battle and still have leaves left over.

I'm usually really conservative about using items and advancing the storyline in RPGs but it seems that Octopath Traveler rewards you adequately for pushing the limits.

I'm usually really conservative about using items and advancing the storyline in RPGs but it seems that Octopath Traveler rewards you adequately for pushing the limits.
Kind of. I needed Olberic at certain levels to duel certain people. Not story related, just to enter their rooms in the towns. I found a nice level 15-ish forest which I grinded my party up to level 40-ish. This didn't take all that long either. Olberic is not normally in my party but I had to sub him in and level him up.

Now however I'm grinding in a level 58 (I think) forest. Most of the enemies die there pretty quickly. The trick I use is to abuse the Scholar or
Sorcerer
As the scholar I used the plus mana per turn accessory, along with a +80 mana accessory and the secondary skill second wind. It seems second wind is based on a percentage of your max mana.
For the
Sorcerer
I do the same but also add in the SP saver secondary. Makes farming a breze because you get most of your mana back each turn with him. Of cause this only works if you have a turn end - as in if you spell them all to death and win, you don't get the mana recovery.

It feels a little broken for farming and it works really well.

Another thing you might want to know about farming. **Spoilers though**

There is 3 secondary skills that are good for faming. Tressa's one for more cash per fight. The Warlord's one for more XP per fight. The Starseer's one for more JP per fight. I amaware the 4x special classes are more designed for post game, but you can beat them (though not easy) long before that and use all these 3 skills to kep you level faster.

I have found another boss though I will talk about in spoilers.

He's in a forest directly off one of the towns and you summon the boss by talking to a girl there. I think it's meant to be post game content as I can't beat it, I think I can come close though. The hardest part about the boss is every so often the boss will tell one of your party members to piss off for a while so for quite a few turns you're one member down. This party member comes back eventually but this basically makes the boss almost total RNG. If your nuke is told to go away for a while, it's fight over. That is what happened to me when I was close to winning.

I think do the story first and come back to it later, as in a level 55 team that beat the 4x secret job bosses, can't take this one down, it's best to wait till I'm levelled up more.

Last edited:

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
I cannot do this game. Im 6 levels above recommended and i cannot kill this boss.
Strategy helps, along with buying tons and tons of healing stuff.

If you are thinking of trying to get the 4x special jobs / classes in the game you have to beat a special boss to earn it. Each of these boses, 4x in total, are very hard. I have tried them with a team of all level 55 characters with decent gear and they kick my ass. These bosses are seriously hard and require the right set up to beat them. Even though their shrines say recommended Lv50, that I think is just for the regular enemies in the shrine. The boss will wrek you at Lv50. I am thinking a level 60-70 team would fare much better.

I just hope there is an even harder boss in the game than these 4 because I don't waant to earn these 4x special class and have nothing to properly use these classes on.
I was level 40ish when I tried one of them and lasted about 6 entire turns of combat. Felt proud but sad

I was level 40ish when I tried one of them and lasted about 6 entire turns of combat. Felt proud but sad
I did all 4 of them with my party at level 55. So they are not really super hard. They are still pretty hard though but with a little practice you'll be able to do them. It's all about strategy. Really, that's how this entire game is. Just choosing one party set up and hoping to beat everything in the game, won't happen. Be prepared to swap character jobs and get just the right secondary passive skills required for each boss fight. Most of the harder bosses do have a trick to make it easier to beat them. Working out what that trick is, that's most of the fun.

You'll be able to do them soon enough. And good luck.

Strategy helps, along with buying tons and tons of healing stuff.
Very true. Remember to have quite a few handy. Mid single heals, grape bunches for party heals, mana restore items and for some battles the concoct ingredients so you can give the party +2 BP. Also some fights will benefit from a few status heal items. But that depends of the boss will use a status ailment on you or not.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
I did all 4 of them with my party at level 55. So they are not really super hard. They are still pretty hard though but with a little practice you'll be able to do them. It's all about strategy. Really, that's how this entire game is. Just choosing one party set up and hoping to beat everything in the game, won't happen. Be prepared to swap character jobs and get just the right secondary passive skills required for each boss fight. Most of the harder bosses do have a trick to make it easier to beat them. Working out what that trick is, that's most of the fun.

You'll be able to do them soon enough. And good luck.

Very true. Remember to have quite a few handy. Mid single heals, grape bunches for party heals, mana restore items and for some battles the concoct ingredients so you can give the party +2 BP. Also some fights will benefit from a few status heal items. But that depends of the boss will use a status ailment on you or not.
Yeah I try to plan ahead a lot.

Currently I use a front-and-back kinnd of approach where tressa and the other character with the merchant subclass just give olberic bp every turn while he uses Brand's Thunder and Ophilia is just there to heal and Tressa (a cleric too) does that on occasion. I only tried one of those fights that one time, but this is still mostly my strategy with high level bosses and mobs

Yeah I try to plan ahead a lot.

Currently I use a front-and-back kinnd of approach where tressa and the other character with the merchant subclass just give olberic bp every turn while he uses Brand's Thunder and Ophilia is just there to heal and Tressa (a cleric too) does that on occasion. I only tried one of those fights that one time, but this is still mostly my strategy with high level bosses and mobs
That's a good strategy. Well done!

That's the great thing about this game, so many different strategies can work, so lots of different ways to play the game.

My strategy - just so you know how I do things is as follows (without any of the advanced clases).

1. Cyrus is my damage dealer. He's secondary class is Dancer, for the plus mana per turn and the ability to hit dark weaknesses. I also use the other ability (I think it's cleric?) on him that turns AOE abilities into single target abilities and thus buff their damage. Helps me to get 2x hits off of over 5k damage each.
  2. Alfyn is Apothecary / Cleric. Though he doesn't use the cleric side much at all. I actually only rarely use the cleric's secondary heal. I find the Grape bunch to be better because any character can sue them. His solo heal, solo revive, affliction heal and BP concoction is what I mainly use him for. He's mostly my healer. Also if he has a spare turn I do use his axe to help break shields. I only use the cleric side for light damage when that's a weakness.
  3. My third is either Olberic or Therion. But they are Warrior / Thief (or the reverse) so basically the same thing in combat. I only chose him to have the sword as an option, I didn't have anyone else I wanted as a 4th. Also his Brand's Thunder used on an enemy with the armour corrosive debuff on it hits like a truck. Often over 10K, making use of the Warrior secondary passive there.
  4. My last character is the one I stared with. It's Tressa with her secondary class as Hunter. I use the Merchant for BP transfer and the occassional wind weakness but that's it. The Hunter side is useful also. Rain of Arrows is a great skill and really decimates anything weak to arrows and leghold trap is a must I think for tough bosses so they always attack at the end of each turn. I use that so I get to break them before they have the chance to attack me.
The only major change I made for the advanced classes is I swapped out Dacer and put in Sorcerer as the secondary class for Cyrus second class, simply because the Sorcerer hits like a truck. I still use the Dancer secondary passive though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom