• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Most depressing video game you've played

There aren't that many depressing video games out there but there are some and some of those you don't know are depressing until you play them (like The Wind Waker).

Which games have you played that ended up being depressing as hell?

Last edited:

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Wind Waker is only Depressing when Ganon dies and that It marked the end of great games existing on that timeline.

Four Swords Adventures and RAGE were Depressing when I realised I needed to take them back because they were so awful.

Halo Reach is depressing. You are doomed in that game and it becomes more apparent as you get towards the end.

Majoras Mask is also depressing. There is the sense of impending doom throughout and you feel trapped in an endless cycle.

The Walking Dead Game. Especially towards the end. Won't spoil it for those who haven't played.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
I dunno, some Final Fantasy game, maybe? FFX is patently ridiculous but it's supposed to be depressing throughout. It doesn't achieve that because the story is utter nonsense and the characters are all knobs. But that's obviously what they're really trying hard for.

The opening of Final Fantasy XII is awfully depressing. Basically everyone you ever loved dies and/or is betrayed and conquered and enslaved or imprisoned forever or made orphan. The melodrama doesn't last long though. The plot gets a lot more uplifting the further it goes.

Other JRPGs certainly qualify. I'm trying to remember that series inspired by Cuthulu mythos. I wanna say it was Lonely -something. Lonely Hearts? I dunno. Eternal Sonata is about some dude who spends the whole game dying. I seem to remember Tales of Symphonia being pretty dark and depressing.

I'm surprised Spirit didn't mention Neir: Automata

I dunno if Xenoblade: Chronicles gets depressing, per se but it sure does get dark in its final chapters.

The Binding of Issac is apparently pretty sick. Then you've got all these fartsy melodrama walking sim psuedo-games like The Last of Us and The Walking Dead and Detroit: Become Hooman and Life is Strange and etc. etc. all laying the edginess on thick.

NintendoCN

Team Captain
I played Corpse party, depressing is what describes the experience best. To avoid being depressed during a game like that I have a hard drink on standby.

Dark Souls. It’s filled with depressing characters losing their humanity or, like you, striving towards the pointless decision between giving life support to a dying world or plunging it into darkness.

Mido

Version 1
Halo Reach is depressing. You are doomed in that game and it becomes more apparent as you get towards the end.

I definitely agree. Although it does lead to a very memorable final mission, as grim as it is reflecting on the game's events up to that point.

I seem to remember Tales of Symphonia being pretty dark and depressing.

I dunno if Xenoblade: Chronicles gets depressing, per se but it sure does get dark in its final chapters.

Agreed on both counts here as well, especially with the former. Strangely, with the latter, I actually found myself more hopeless in the game's early stages than later on for whatever reason. I think the conflict at that point in the narrative resonated with me more when I played it (not taking away from the later narrative in the big picture, however).

If I were to add anything else, L.A. Noire would be an easy pick for depressing, especially throughout the entirety of the Arson desk. Another I'll include is Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney, mostly due to the dark and bleak atmposhere surrounding the primary narrative. Its final case in particular harbors a few depressing moments that amplify the game's overall vibe.

Too The Moon

One of the saddest and emotional video games I've ever played. It's not that much of a video game though and more of an emotional journey. I totally recommend the game.

Too The Moon

One of the saddest and emotional video games I've ever played. It's not that much of a video game though and more of an emotional journey. I totally recommend the game.
Finding Paradise, the sequel is just as emotional. Great story, relatively good soundtrack. Well worth playing, almost as good as the first game in many ways and in one specific way it's better.

Hero of Pizza Time

Pizza Parker
There is an MMO I have been playing for over 9 years now called Wizard101. I play on the American server but one day I decided to check out the British server, and it was like a ghost town. I went to the commons (the main social area of the game) and noticed that it was lacking several updates as well as any players. Each day I went on there I found an average of about half a dozen players (most of whom either didn't speak English or complained about the game being dead). Honestly I almost cried and felt like I needed to spend some time socializing on the American server.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom