• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What would cause the Zelda convergence?

I was gonna put this in the theory section but i dont have a theory of my own so this is more just a question thread.

Okay, so I subscribe to the Zelda convergence theory. I did back in the day before the official timeline was revealed and was pro Oracle convergence.

The official timeline didnt converge anything and instead gave us another sodding split.

Though i'm once again pro convergence with BotW.

I believe BotW tales place after the other games after a convergence event (it's the only way guys!)

But the question is this; what would cause a Zelda convergence at this point?

Adventure of Link, Four Swords Adventures and Spirit Tracks each end their timelines (which is depressing) so what event after these games could have brought about BotW 10,000 years later as the result of a convergence?

The Oracles would have been easy (with each game happening on the then two opposing timelines and linking with the third secret end game content) but things arent so clean with BotW...

So what are your theories?

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Some time traecl/interdemensional universe **** that makes no sense about Ganon going back in time to OoT or something

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I will never accept a convergence of the timelines in the way you suggest. Yes Hyrule Warriors style universe hopping could be possible allowing characters to be aware of events that happened in parallel universes but there is no way that WW and TP and ALTTP can take place on one timeline.

I favor the idea of a convergence in BotW, although it struggles to make sense, as time is linear and timeline splits shouldn't meet back up. I'm open to both ideas--convergence or no--but pinpointing its placement outside of a convergence truly boggles the mind. There appears to be vague knowledge of histories on multiple timelines, that ordinarily wouldn't work because time travel is linear and you can't cross between timelines once they become separate. The only thing that would seem capable of doing such a thing is the Triforce. And why that wish would be made would be a very good question to ask.

Hyrule Warriors was deemed canon in the sense that it takes place in an alternate universe/history apart from the rest of the games and their timelines. The Triforce was used in that game to bridge multiple timelines into one present. While not directly canon due to the "Avengers type of multiverse" they used as an analogy, the nature of the Triforce's power in that game probably still holds up in context of the actual canon. There is also the instance of ALBW where the Triforce wish was used to restore a parallel version of the Triforce. The reaches of the Triforce's power across dimensions (time as well?) would presumably play a role in a timeline convergence, if it did or is to occur in any way, shape, or form. The amount of time paradoxes that would be introduced to the Triforce itself (can multiple Triforces exist at once?) on a timeline convergence could be enough to wipe certain aspects of history.

It is my belief that if a convergence did occur at some point prior to the events of BotW, then this would break the cycle of the Hero and Hylia's bloodline--and Demise's "curse". The paradox would be enough to break it.

A timeline convergence cannot happen.

This is the correct answer.

You would have a timeline where Hyrule is destroyed and not destroyed at the same time, Where the MS is lost beneath the sea and still in the forest, etc.

Just because we see elements that have only made living, breathing appearances in other timelines doesn't mean that other timelines will never have them, especially when ALBW proves that Koroks exist on the DT, or TPHD proves that BotW Rito exist in the CT, or that Zelda's speech is worded very similarly to the US Postman's Creed, making it more likely that in universe, she's not talking about literal events, but saying that the Hero's Spirit and the MS are bound together no matter what they face.

The biggest hint toward a timeline placement is the Zora Monument that talks about Ruto; since it proves that the OoT sages awoke in BotW's timeline, we can rule out the CT. Hyrule also still exists so we can rule out the AT. That only leaves the DT, where the sages from OoT are remembered as late as AoL in a non obliterated Hyrule. Add to that the fact that Calamity Ganon is the most inhuman we've ever seen Ganon, which is a theme of the DT, and the fact that Hyrule is in another era of decline, with the Goddess Statue in AoL being the only evidence we've possibly seen as a re-emergence of Hylia worship, and so on.

Last edited:

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
Like I've said many times with this theory, it just doesn't work. How can a timeline go from three to one? They each have very different histories which wouldn't work altogether. The hero of time couldn't be defeated but also win at the same time, and the Hyrule can't be flooded and also not flooded.

A timeline convergence cannot happen.
It's about hypotheticals. This is Zelda we're talking about. Zelda does crazy stuff with space-time all the time. If a convergence were to happen, what would cause it? We're aware it's a literally impossible phenomenon, that's why the thread is asking how it could potentially happen, whether you agree with the idea of a convergence or not. Because, while the sense can be made of placing BotW on a convergence line, the circumstances leading up to the existence of the convergence does not. The question of this thread isn't why the convergence can't happen (because we know it's an illogical concept; separate lines of history can't intersect because time is linear), it's how the impossible would theoretically happen. What would even cause multiple timelines to intersect like that? Whether it did or not isn't really relevant to the the question at hand.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Well the Triforce is an all powerful relic, it can fufill any wish. So it could make a timeline convergence possible. But one would need knowledge that there is a split timeline, and gaining such knowledge somehow is impossible unless there are records from OoT Zelda which detail her sending Link back in time. And someone looked at those records, was bright enough to realize that would mean there are potentially other histories, and then the Triforce was used to converge the timelines? It's all far-fetched when trying to form such theories.

Well the Triforce is an all powerful relic, it can fufill any wish. So it could make a timeline convergence possible. But one would need knowledge that there is a split timeline, and gaining such knowledge somehow is impossible unless there are records from OoT Zelda which detail her sending Link back in time. And someone looked at those records, was bright enough to realize that would mean there are potentially other histories, and then the Triforce was used to converge the timelines? It's all far-fetched when trying to form such theories.

Japanese dub of Zelda's speech in BotW has knowledge of all timelines.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I have come up with an idea. The ONLY way the timelines can converge is if the rules for time were able to be rewritten. And the only way that can happen is inside a computer. Therefore if it did happen the entire Zelda series would have to take place inside a virtual reality simulation and events were mashed together because whoever controlled the simulation got bored or the simulation is broken.

If it's broken then it could lead to all sorts of terrible things for the residents of Hyrule.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Japanese dub of Zelda's speech in BotW has knowledge of all timelines.
But that's after the fact in this case, the timelines are converged. Prior to the convergence how was the insight that there are other timelines, or histories, discovered? It almost feels like there would need to be divine intervention for a convergence to work. In Zelda we have confirmed dieties, and that may play a part in how a timeline convergence could happen as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom