• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do you feel like you got enough entertainment out of your Wii U?

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I bought a Wii U in 2013 to get Wind Waker HD. Since then I only bought a 5 other games, Twilight Princess HD, Hyrule Warriors, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Mario Kart 8, and Super Smash Bros. 4. I just didn't get interested in many Wii U games. I didn't buy Splatoon, or Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, which maybe I'll buy, but I think Tropical Freeze got ported over to the Switch, right?

Even if I would have bought BoTW for Wii U I don't think I'd feel like the Wii U was redeemed by it alone. Yeah it would have caused me to put more time into using my Wii U, but I'd still be underwhelmed by how small my library of Wii U games is. To be honest, my PS4 gave me the most entertainment over the last few years.

Were you satisfied with your Wii U?

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
Absolutely, 100%. I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I love the Wii U. Maybe it's because I can't afford a lot of games in general, so it not having a huge library doesn't both me much. Especially since it still had a lot of games I was interested in and loved.

It introduced me to Splatoon, which is one of my favorite games ever now and I probably got enough enjoyment out of that alone to make it worth it. I also had quite a bit of play time in Hyrule Warriors. I liked playing through the story mode, but had even more fun spending a lot of time playing co-op with my sister. I finally got to play Wind Waker and Minish Cap (on VC). BotW, Mario Maker, Mario 3D World, MK 8, Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker - all of them were great and lots of fun. I even still have Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze to play (got it for free from Club Nintendo) that I'm waiting to be able to play through with my brother since we played through Donkey Kong Country Returns together.

I also still constantly use it for youtube. It's so convenient to have the gamepad to browse through videos while I already have a video playing on the tv.

Lily

Mischievous Minx
The Wii U is currently the best option for playing Zelda games as 75% are on the system. I certainly consider that entertainment. :3

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
The Wii U is currently the best option for playing Zelda games as 75% are on the system. I certainly consider that entertainment. :3

I like this, though there still some you can't play on the WII U T.T, bonus is however is Wii U can be softmodded to play Gamecube games so you get even more games available

NintendoCN

Team Captain
Uhh, not really, my brother sure did, I prefer to stick to my PS4 anyway since my favorite series are mostly exclusive to it.

HeroOfTime

Challenger Approaching!
Definitely! One of the biggest problems that the Wii U had was the lack of third party games it had, but I've only ever been interested in the first party ones anyway. The Virtual Console was amazing (Switch, you can take a lesson here), and Splatoon, MK8, Pikmin 3, Nintendo Land, along with many other games (especially my favorites, Smash 4 and the Zelda HDs) made it well worth the purchases. And it was super convenient to be able to use the gamepad for the majority of the games. I do enjoy my 3DS a bit more, but I still frequently use both systems to this day, and my Wii U has in no way been replaced by my Switch.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Looking back on it, I'd say that yeah actually, I did get enough entertainment from my Wii U.

I never had a lot of games for it overall but the ones I did have I greatly enjoyed and played a hell of a lot. I played a lot of Call of Duty: Ghosts which had a surprisingly robust multiplayer considering the game was on every other system, too. CoD are all the same blah blah, but it's a franchise built on a solid base so the worst you're getting is a good game. I played a frankly stupid amount of Mario Kart 8, so much so that I will never hesitate to say it was the best game on the Wii U and probably the best Nintendo has released since... Smash Bros Brawl? I still think they should make a Mario game using Mario Kart 8's locations as stages. Places like Shy Guy Falls, Water Park, Toad Harbour, Thwomp Ruins, and Neo Bowser City would be fantastic places to explore on foot. Beyond Mario Kart, I got the Metroid Prime Trilogy on the Virtual Console. Metroid Prime will always be a huge point in a console's favour, but this was the first time I had ever played Metroid Prime 2, and I loved it. It lived up to the first for me and was an experience I won't soon forget. Then there's Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, perhaps the best 2D platformer I've ever played. It's such a well crafted game with an almost perfect difficulty curve and some truly memorable levels, like the popsicle factory, the mine cart through the active lumber mill, and the savannah with Lion King-esque animal puppets. Speaking of which:

I think Tropical Freeze got ported over to the Switch, right?
Yes it is. I would highly recommend it. It's a fantastic game.

Honestly, the only games I didn't really play much of for my Wii U were Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. I beat WW 100% and haven't gone through it again, and I never even finished TP. I think Link is still somewhere near the Goron Mines. I don't even remember if I finished the dungeon or not. Overall, I didn't have a lot on my Wii U, but what I did have I spent a great deal of time with, time I enjoyed almost every second of. So yeah, on reflection, I'd say I did get enough entertainment from my Wii U.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
I loved the Wii U. By any other name it would have beena a success, but they set the bar too high associating it with the Wii.

I have played the death out of it: Smash, TP, WW, ALTTP, Splatoon, SMM, Cube Life: Island Survival, DKTF, BoTW

There was and is no shortage of entertainment

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff

I like this, though there still some you can't play on the WII U T.T, bonus is however is Wii U can be softmodded to play Gamecube games so you get even more games available
I meant out of new releases as they came out for the Wii U, not Virttual Console downloads and what not.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
why limit it to that though? if digital software and such gives people use out of their wii u, its all the more better for them to answer the thread
Because I'm just talking about Wii U releases alone, not ports from old software. The only reason I added TPHD and WWHD as Wii U releases is because although they are ports, they are atleast updated and have some new content, so they aren't just a regular straightfoward port.

Quin

Disaster Master
No doubt, more than I got out of the switch atm, and probably for a while. (until they magically port MH4U to switch)
I put both 1000+ hours in Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and Smash 4, which already justified the price for me, And I enjoyed Tropical freeze and Mario 3D world a lot.
Then there is also my favorite mario kart game, MK8, which I also dumped a lot of time in, and while not as good as the first one, Xenoblade X also had me hooked until the end.
And ofcourse I can't forget about BOTW, which I view as more of a wii U game. Easily one of my favorite Zelda games.
There are a lot of things about the console that annoyed me and weren't perfect, but it was my money worth for sure.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
DKUR9Tk.png

I was.

I bought WWHD before i had a WiiU, it being the game to convince me to get one.
I managed to buy moat first party games that came out for it; NSMbU, Mario 3D World, Smash, Woolly World, Kirby, TPHD and others like Pokken, TMS#FE, Hyrule Warriors, DKCTF, Mario kart 8, Xenoblade X and Project Zero 5.

All of these games were pretty good i thought, i enjoyed some way more than others but none of them were dumpster fires. The WiiU was also the first time i used the VC. I bought quite a few games from the GBA, Snes and 64 eras and it was great to go through a lot of them again. As such i'll always keep my wiiU around because it is my only way to play some of those games.

Thw only disappointment was that the WiiU never felt active. I may have mentioned a lot of games but that was over a 5 year period and the Switch released during the U's 5th year. This was a shame, the U's library was decent (despite the console flopping) if it wasn't why would so many people be begging for U ports on Switch?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom