• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

"I told you not to play that one!"

Ever had a friend who expresses interest in a franchise you follow?

I'm sure we've all had a friend ask where the best place is to start on a long running series.

Recently a friend asked me where they should start with the Tales series. There were a few games available to him on sale. Of the ones he mentioned I gave him my opinion on the ones he should play and in which order...

But he 'liked the look of one' better than the others so he played it despite what I said. What I said was 'don't play that one because it sucks...'

He didn't like the game he chose (not surprising) but now he doesn't really want to try another game in the series because the one he played burned him so badly.

Has this happened to you?

Have you ever given a friend video game advice and they've not listened to you?

Which games and franchises/series were they?

Last edited:

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
just curious,what tales game was it

one i can think of is the friend who wanted to play mgsv but asked me for guidance on the series, i was just like at the VERY LEAST look into peace walker since phantom pain builds off of that
they played phantom pain anyway [not even grounds zeros] and im just like 'what was the point of even asking me'

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Not happened as far as I recall but it might happen in the near future.

I recently played Shadowrun Returns, Dragonfall, and Hong Kong and really enjoyed all three. On my recommendation a friend bought all three on sale and is going to start them soon, with Returns, the first one, even thoguh I told him Dragonfall would be best for him. Returns is generally regarded as the worst (which I agree with but would perhaps say 'least good' instead) and while I'm confident he'll like Dragonfall and Hong Kong, I'm sitting here hoping Returns doesn't put him off entirely.

Not video games, but another example that comes up for me a lot is Discworld. Never tell people to start with The Colour of Magic, the first one. If you ever hear someone say "If you're looking to read Discworld start with The Colour of Magic" you have my permission to hurt them. The Colour of Magic is a great book, don't get me wrong, but it is so different in style, tone, and even intention to the rest of the series that it is not representetive of it at all.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Myst III and IV are poor entry points into the Myst series. Which would stand to reason since they're more than halfway through an ongoing narrative. Understanding just what the frak is going on is pretty dependent on having played the original Myst at least. For that matter, anyone who jumps in with the Uru spinoff series will be hopelessly lost.

There is no worse game to start the Final Fantasy series with than XIII except VIII perhaps. There really is a pre and post VI Final Fantasy series. Full appreciation for the Final Fantasy series really begins with either IV or VI with VI being the go-to entry point for the series (III is acceptable as a last resort). VII and X are good examples of the post VI Final Fantasy series era and that is not meant to be a compliment.

Myst III and IV are poor entry points into the Myst series. Which would stand to reason since they're more than halfway through an ongoing narrative. Understanding just what the frak is going on is pretty dependent on having played the original Myst at least. For that matter, anyone who jumps in with the Uru spinoff series will be hopelessly lost.

There is no worse game to start the Final Fantasy series with than XIII except VIII perhaps. There really is a pre and post VI Final Fantasy series. Full appreciation for the Final Fantasy series really begins with either IV or VI with VI being the go-to entry point for the series (III is acceptable as a last resort). VII and X are good examples of the post VI Final Fantasy series era and that is not meant to be a compliment.
What's wrong with starting with FF1?

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
I've had a couple friends who haven't played Zelda beyond OoT back in the day, and now they're both wanting to get back into it. One I had play the original with me and she thought it was neat, so then I had her try ALttP and she's definitely getting into it. My other friend just got a switch for his birthday and he wants to try BotW after he finishes some other games he's already on. If they ever do get more into Zelda, I'd probably tell them that SS, PH, and ST are probably not the finest of the series so they're prepared.

Dynasty Warriors.
Many people I know have totally different ideas about what's the best game to start with. There is only one correct answer. DW8XL. That's it. Really, that's the only Dynasty Warriors game you need, unless you really want to play 8 Empires. DW8XL even trumps DW9. DW8XL really only has one minor issue with it. That there's no dodge. But in the overall scheme of things, that's a minor issue, how it does make it a totally different experience when compared to something like Hyrule Warriors that requires the player to be constantly dodging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom