• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Generation with the most unique/bravest first party Nintendo titles

Ever hear anyone say "they won't do that again" or "they don't make them like that anymore"?

Well i'm gonna apply this to Nintendo and ask which; console generation had the bravest/most surprising games on it in terms of first party?

I'd say the Gamecube may take it for me just because of Eternal Darkness, an IP Nintendo haven't touched since its release despite how different it was for them to do. Luigi's Mansion was also something we never saw coming, nor did we expect StarFox to rip off Zelda...

But which Nintendo generation strikes you as the bravest and most unique titles to appear on the same console?

Nintendo Switch.
It has Breath of the Wild, ARMS, Mario Odyssey Overcooked, Pokemon Lets Go etc etc. All gutsy efforts that are nothing like the previous games in ths series. Very brave to make all of these games.

Nintendo Entertainment System
Lets see here
  • Fat Italian plumber who is addicted to magic mushrooms
  • Pink fluffy amobea who eats anything that moves
  • Space ship pilot who like to hide her gender from the world
  • Child explioted by fate to wear a green tunic and murder in the name of the Triforce
  • Boy cupid why collects hearts, without mending them.
  • Illegal boxing torurnament. Rule broken - both boxers not in the same weight class.
  • Portraying the sport of hunting to children much to young to own to use a gun. Hunting wild ducks
So yeah I think the NES has the most unique titles.

nor did we expect StarFox to rip off Zelda...
Zelda also ripped off Star Fox on the Gamecube too. Remember the boss Gohdan in the Wind Waker. That's a total Andross clone.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
I was going to suggest N64 for its sheer pioneering spirit, but @the8thark makes an irrefutable point. Ninty was really rolling out the "eclectic" IPs back in the NES days.

Zelda also ripped off Star Fox on the Gamecube too. Remember the boss Gohdan in the Wind Waker. That's a total Andross clone.
But then there was that one time Starfox literally turned into a Zelda game :err:

The Gamecube brought some new IPs into nintendo's lineup. First console for Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing outside of Japan. Mario Sunshine was a refreshing break from Mario 64. While I don't appreciate it, Wind Waker was a notable departure from the Zelda series and Twilight Princess carried on with the edgy tone set by Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask which ninty refuses to acknowledge anymore. The aforementioned Eternal Darkness which ninty refuses to admit exists. And the new Pikmen IP. And the return of Metroid since the SNES days. We also got a ballsy Smash and the only Smash that matters, IMO.

Last edited:

Zonda

Meme Connoisseur
Retrospectively it's as standard as buttered bread, but in its time, the N64 was a pretty trailblazing console. The introduction to 3D platforming was a bit of a shot in the dark and could just as easily have gone the way of the 3DO if circumstances were different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom