• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Is Splatoon 2 too Westernised?

A simple question but I really believed Splatoon 2 too Westernised. I think the first game really stuck a lot closer to japanese lore and that's what made it a great game.

What do you all think?

Musicfan

the shadow mage
Splatoons not really a game that I would play for the lore. The gameplay from what ive seen is and been able to play is still fun.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Too westernized? No

I think if a game is too Japanese I'd not enjoy it.

I don't care about sticking to roots. Even IRL I believe that people should stop being like "Oh I'm Italian so I have that mob mentality" or whatever. Don't go around waving your banner all over the place like that, because it's annoying is what I like to think.

It's a game made in Japan for all people.

Are you referring to the scrolls found in the single player or the overall feel of the game?
Overall feel of the game. Like for example the Squid sisters a much more japanese influences with the sushi on their head, the white gloves and their mannerisms, whereas the new two in Splatoon 2 feel very westernised, many of the more japanese manerisms of their predecessors are gone.
This is just one example of many.

It's a game made in Japan for all people.
I believe you just described Splatoon 2 but Splatoon 1 is not like that in my opinion. Splatoon 1 feels unapologetally Japanese in feel and origins. The world loved Splatoon 1 for this still. A game can be rooted in it's own culture and origins and still be loved the world over.

Okami is a very Japanese game. However the whole world loves it for that exact reason. It's a slice of Japenese culture and history and experiencing that as a gaijin is really amazing. It opens up our eyes to their culture and helps us to appreciate it more. Of cause this is just one game of many that have done this.

Also the Bower's kingdom level of Super Mario Odyssey is totally Japanese themed. The whole world loved that stage of the game too. Another little example.

Quin

Disaster Master
I'm not feeling you in this. Sure they changed the J-pop duo for a DJ and a rapper and thats more western themed for sure, but literally nothing else makes this game feel more western to me. If anything it builds a bit more on the same world without losing much.

Cowboys and Whiskey
Now now, you forgot to mention this bloke.

4vDWaqq.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom