• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Sony E3 2018

Sony's press conference started off awfully slow with The Last of Us Part 2 being shown for half an hour. Then we got Ghost of Tsushima, Control, Resident Evil 2 Remake, Nioh 2, Kingdom Hearts 3, Death Stranding, and Spider-Man in the sound more energetic half.

Overall, I'd give this conference a B. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't amazing either. The pacing killed the hype at the start, though. Too much time spent on music performances and TLOU 2.

Thoughts?

D

Deleted member 14134

Last of Us 2 looks fantastic and was the ebst part of the conference for me. The pacing sucked though and moving people into a different theater killed all the momentum gained with the last of us. Spiderman looks really good as always. There was no big reveal that really hit it out of the park for me though. Ghost of whatever looked underwhelming and I still have no idea what kind of game death stranding is. Overall not a bad conference when they were showing games but the overall pacing, particularly at the beginning wasn't too great.

A very poor showing from Sony this year. Why do I think this?

I believe anyone really interested in the games shown there would be getting them regardless if they saw the E3 event or not. Sony preaching to the choir mostly. Sony gave those not already interested in the games a reason to get interested. Kingdom Hearts 3 was the exception as that trailer was quite good. All the rest were just overly long with very slow buildups. That first 20 seconds of a an initial reaction were wasted.
Also the music and chatting didn't do much to help. Most of the Sony fans I know were stratching their heads as to what the music was and it only clicked once the gameplay footage appeared. That kind of pre trailer music needs to be totally iconic so every fan instantly gets it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNIGZsfNw7Q
Look at this video around the one minute mark. Totally iconic music. Everyone in the room totally got it. The piece of music told everyone what IP was being announced. And because it was "big news" everyone knew it was Diablo 3. Sony could learn how to use music in keynotes from Blizzard.

Sony would have been better to just do a fully digital event with only the trailers and kept all the drawn out gameplay footage till after the event.

So what games do I think would interest someone who is on the fence and not already wanting to purchase the game?
Kingdom Hearts 3 - The 1+2+3 box really helps sell that idea
Spiderman - Possibly. The trailer + gameplay was still overly long and poorly paced but was not too bad.
That Kojima game - Death Stranding?. It asks more questions than it answers which is quite appealing.

Every other game just felt like a stealthy killing spree. The only differences between them all is where and how you use stealth to kill everything.

I give this keynote/event a C.
The fans will like it but anyone not already a fan will be hard pressed to find much of that interesting.

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
I am a fan and I found it mostly boring, the only hype for me was Kingdom Hearts and maybe Spiderman. I am a PlayStation fan but I will always favor Nintendo first.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Sony was very underwhelming... Just like last year, you think they have more to show, but it abruptly ends with Spider-Man again. They spent too much time with boring demonstrations rather than gameplay trailers that could have gotten the same point across in less time. The only real surprise was Resident Evil 2 and I'm very torn on it. Though, after seeing the gameplay trailer (which wasn't shown at the conference for some reason...) I think I'm feeling a little better about it.

While it's not exactly the direction I wanted with this specific game, it looks leagues better than 7. I swear, this is what 7 should have looked like because this looks so much more ideal for a modern Resident Evil experience. Hopefully the series continues in this kind of direction going forward and forgets 7 ever happened. I still think REmake 2 should have been done more like the first REmake, but given where the series is right now, I'll take it. I just hope Capcom nails the survival horror this time as they've never really been any good with that in the over the shoulder games or even 7 for that matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom