• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Would the Master Sword work as a different type of sword?

I love the design of the Master Sword, iconic is definitely the word, even people who don't play Zelda know what the Master Sword looks like.

The Master Sword itself is a double-edged longsword... but would it work as a different sword?

Perhaps a rapier or katana maybe?

Would you like to see a different kind of Master Sword?

Do you think any game would dare to create different Master Swords for Link or different characters in a narrative?

Last edited:
A Link to the Past had two sword upgrades beyond the Master Sword, and the first of those two was a reforge of the Master Sword, suggesting that its sacred power remains if the blade is to be reshaped. I could possibly see the blade being reforged throughout history, and maybe in turn, changing its overall look and blade shape. But I kind of like it as it is as far as the type of sword goes. Minor redesigns over time doesn't bother me so much, because we all know the red and silver hilt from A Link to the Past was its best look.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
buff-link-zelda-ocarina-of-time-conan-artwork-is-bad-ass.jpg

It would work as a thick two handed sword as well. He could fight like Nightmare or Seigfried.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
I like the idea of you being able to change what it is like. Maybe they can add that into the game as a better way of doing weapons

Ninja

Well well well
Master Spear - optimized for long range combat.
Master Broadsword - optimized for heavy armored foes.
Master Sword - regular use applies as usual.

Link carries the Master Orb, which gives him the ability to change the swords appearance and function.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Spears are remarkably under utilized in fiction. Even mythology. But a spear is a pole arm not a sword so that's kinda beside the point isn't it?

The title screen for the original LoZ featured a sword that resembles a rapier. TLoZ predates the master sword's introduction to the series, but I always found it odd anyway that the title screen would imply that at least one of the swords in the game is a rapier since a rapier doesn't seem like it would be a good fit for the sort of fighting Link does and the enemies he faces.

I don't think it would be implausible for the Master Sword to be reforged into a new type of sword. There's already a precedent for this in ALttP but the upgraded swords are still all the same type of broadsword/english longsword. Or the Master Sword could simply acquire morphic capabilities that could change its shape from a balanced long sword to a slow and heavy great sword or quick and light rapier or short sword. A katana would be sweet, but not in line with Zelda's western medieval style (even though the series has done away with that). I don't really know what the point of that would be. Just give Link alternate weapons to use on a limited basis like in Wind Waker. BotW's durrability was a dumb way to do it (and yes, that's durr with two r's).

Reactions: Dio

Cfrock

Keep it strong
a rapier doesn't seem like it would be a good fit for the sort of fighting Link does and the enemies he faces.
Rapiers are dueling swords, predominantly for civilian use. It's not the kind of thing a dude like Link would be using to fight monsters and the like. They're also mainly thrusting weapons, so the characteristic HYAAAH! and HAYYAAA! when he swings and jumps would make him seem like a real dope who should go back to Killing School.

When thinking of whether the Master Sword would work as another type of sword I realised that I'd actually be more comfortable with Link being a girl than with the Master Sword being different. The character is different all the time but the Sword is the Sword. It's a static object and has been for thousands of years. Seems like if you reforged it would cease to be the Sword and be a new sword. I dunno. I don't think it would bother me much, it'd just be a nit-pick.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I feel like the lore means it can't really be changed without it ceasing to be the Master Sword. We've seen what happens when it runs low on power in Wind Waker and Breath of the Wild, and we've seen that it can be strengthened in A Link Between Worlds and other games. Overall, aside from artistic choices, it hasn't changed much over the millennia. If it were to become a different type of sword, the sacred power would have to be transferred. So maybe they could get around that by having Link go on a quest to remake the sword after it breaks. Or, they could introduce a second type of evil-destroying weapon. Either way, I feel like the lore makes it hard to change the look of the sword too much. I wouldn't be opposed to it if they put thought into it, though.

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
The master sword is an icon of Hylian mythology and the zelda lore. Changing the design would mess up the entire idea of “legend” the story is passed down from generation to generation with a few recurring themes: the master sword (or some incarnation thereof e.g. phantom sword, goddess blade) must be found, zelda must be rescued, a hero clad in green.

I feel like the ablity to change the design of the master sword would be nifty, and possibly entertaining, but I think it would compromise the lore of the game.

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
An interesting idea would be the master sword getting destroyed entirely, and Link having to reforge a new one

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom