• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Are there too many Ganons?

There are a few versions of Ganon in Zelda and we can add one more in Calamity Ganon thanks to BotW.

Do we have too many versions of Ganon in the series now?

If more are introduced will they start feeling too similar?

Do you like these multiple forms?

Ninja

Well well well
I wouldn't mind if Ganon had multiple forms, as long as you could fight them all in stages, each with increasing difficulty, that'd be pretty neat. Twilight Princess did it right, you had a Phantom Zelda/Ganon fight, then the beast version, and then a final sword duel.

With Ganon being an infinite reincarnation of evil, as long as it's done right, I'd welcome new forms.

Rubik

King of Lorule Lounge
They should replace Ganon, Zelda, and Link with unrelated characters in the next game.

Maybe also change the title to something other than "The Legend of Zelda"

Quin

Disaster Master
I want the blue pig back in 3D. Its by far my favorite version. I dont care much for ganondorf and the "epic" sword fights they force as the final fight. Wasnt he suposse to be an evil WIZARD? I want more spells than the tennisgame we have since ALTTP. Funnily enough the final ALTTP ganon fight was probably my favorite ganon fight.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
No Calamity Ganon and less Ganon.

Ganondorf is a great character, and is certainly and without a doubt the most badass villain of all time in anything, and is in my top 3 Zelda characters, possibly being number 1.

Ganon is overused and dull. Ganondorf has better personality, look, backstory, fights and everything else

Led

Ganondorf is a well-made character, I also love him.
Its complicated like our world without currency and when you play in Path of Exiole. In my opinion it is the on of last trully MMO in fantasy world.
Well, if you want buy currency so you can get it with PoE shop like Odealo :-)
Awesome and cheap Exalted orbs, the most important currency, alway you can exchange this for chaos orbs and other orbs :-)
(Exalted) PoE Orbs

Last edited:

PalaeoJoe

The Diplomatic Dinosaur
To be honest, there are some villains that stand out more to me than Ganon(dorf), such as Hilda and Ghirahim. I want to see more new villains than I want to see Ganon. As far as multiple forms go, he’s still all the same to me. I don’t differentiate.
When Nintendo uses a Villain other then Ganon(dorf) they always come up with something interesting. The overuse of Ganon will eventually catch up to Nintendo and he will become less compelling over time. They need to begin reusing other villains, there are very few reoccurring villains in Zelda, but they only reappear in a couple games each. Nintendo should either bring back an older villain like Vati or Ghirahim, or develop a new villain to act as a secondary Main villain. Its not that I don't like Ganon, he will always be the biggest threat in Zelda but we need another or several "Big Bads" so that Gannon can remain fresh. Some of these villains can still be in service of Gannon but not every game needs to have a return of Gannon.

That said the next time we see Big-G, he needs to be given a strong personality. Calamity Ganon is a cool idea, it is Ganon as a Force of Nature Villain (FoNV). The problem with a pure FoNV, is that they don't act like people, they cast aside the emotion a personal villain could cause the audience to feel.
This problem with Calamity Ganon is similar to the problem with early appearances of Ganon. In the 2D games in particular Ganon didn't have much if any personality he is just the Generic cool looking cartoon villain who we have no connection to. He is Bower as a Blue Pig.
This is the strength of Ganondorf. The Dorf has characterization, he acts like a real person with real motivation, we see a thinking being with a personality. There is no reason why Ganon as a Trident Wielding Pig could not also be treated as a person, but Nintendo has only personalized Ganon in his human form. One day I hope Pig Ganon gets a personality.
Regardless of the form Ganon takes in future games. The sames things can be done to make his return worth it. If we are going to give Ganon or any villain a personality, then they need to have the time to showcase and develop that personality. This is the perceived problem with Ganon in TP, BotW and Demise in SS. In these games we don't see the villain much if at all until the end of the game, so we don't get a lot time to see their personality. To many players it seemed like we were cheated out of getting time to build resentment for these characters. This is why Ganondorf worked so well in OoT and WW, we got to see them in person throughout the entire game, even getting to face off against them before seeing that we were too week to fight them and that we had played into Ganondorf's plan.
I suggest that the next time Ganon appears he should be the first villain or monster we lay eyes on. Then as the game progresses we see him carry out his plan to gain power and resist him along the way.

I don't think that Ganon has too many forms, but I'd welcome a new villain. It gets old to see the same story get rehashed all the time.

When Nintendo uses a Villain other then Ganon(dorf) they always come up with something interesting. The overuse of Ganon will eventually catch up to Nintendo and he will become less compelling over time. They need to begin reusing other villains, there are very few reoccurring villains in Zelda, but they only reappear in a couple games each. Nintendo should either bring back an older villain like Vati or Ghirahim, or develop a new villain to act as a secondary Main villain. Its not that I don't like Ganon, he will always be the biggest threat in Zelda but we need another or several "Big Bads" so that Gannon can remain fresh. Some of these villains can still be in service of Gannon but not every game needs to have a return of Gannon.
I agree with the bolded part. However, I don't see the logic in complaining about the overuse of Ganon and then saying that Nintendo should bring back Vaati, when he's pretty much a Ganon clone.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
There are two too many, yes. Calamity Jane Ganon was a BadIdeaTM. Lazy, as per Ninty's standard fare. Does a massive disservice to the character.

But the major offense is Demise (*blerk*). Demise totally ripped apart Ganon and crapped all over established Zelda lore. It's obvious that Ganon(dorf) no longer exists as a character. Ganon has been devolved into a vague concept that Ninty can lazily and sloppily rehash into whatever form they want, just like with everything else they do.

Of the three main characters in the series, Ganon(dorf) has been the only one holding them all together. Now that he's been ripped apart the series has lost even more of its cohesion.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
We've had in order of appearance of final boss.

Ganon
Shadow Link
Ganon
Dethl (Nightmare)
Ganon
Majora's Mask
Ganon
Ganondorf
Vaati
Ganondorf
Vaati
Ganon
Malladus
Demise
Yuganon
Calamity Ganon.

So outta 16 Final Bosses Ganon occupies 9 slots if we count all forms. Or in his pure piggy form 5. so not really all that many appearances of the true piggy Ganon. I'd love to see more Vaati or Malladus.

PalaeoJoe

The Diplomatic Dinosaur
I agree with the bolded part. However, I don't see the logic in complaining about the overuse of Ganon and then saying that Nintendo should bring back Vaati, when he's pretty much a Ganon clone.
Yuganon is "pretty much a Ganon clone". Visually Ganon and Vaati are completely different. I'm sure there are parallels between them but don't see those parallels making them clones. Please explain how they are so similar?

Regardless of your answer, a strong visual distinction alone, fits my criteria for a villain who is "not Ganon" however poor, and would certainly fit the criteria of "not a clone". The point is, any villain or villains becoming more frequent or being reused would do the job of keeping Ganon fresh and giving him more impact. I don't recommend that Nintendo simply uses a "Ganon clone" or creates poorly developed villains. These ideas are the bare minimum of what Nintendo could do with a new or reoccurring villain, but even the bare minimum would technically do the job.
I personally don't have a strong affection for Vaati. I bring him up because he is one of the few (and the most frequently) reoccurring villains (Twinrova though, might appear as often as Vaati). Though, one strong argument for the return of Vaati is that he has never been featured in a 3D game and this could both give him a brand new visual design and more personality.

P.S. My intention is not to Complain, but to point out that using many villains would help Ganon's image and make the series more interesting all around.

Yuganon is "pretty much a Ganon clone". Visually Ganon and Vaati are completely different. I'm sure there are parallels between them but don't see those parallels making them clones. Please explain how they are so similar?
Power-hungry baddie who belongs to a seldom-seen race betrays someone he pledged allegiance to in order to steal a great power, which he uses to attack Hyrule and kidnap Zelda in his quest to conquer it and get a hold of a triangle-shaped omnipotent power known as "(something) Force", but is thwarted by Link, who is wielding the legendary magical sword capable of defeating him.

Who did I just describe, Ganondorf or Vaati?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom