• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

2017 Game Of The Year Awards

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
As we all know, Breath of The Wild won Game Of THe Year, and a few other awards a few days ago. I'd like to see people's thoughts on the awards here

Cfrock

Keep it strong
As we all know
This is legit the first I've heard. Downvoted for inaccuracy.

I basically don't care. Awards are just opinions. Giving out a trophy and a big pat on the back with your opinion doesn't make it more or less valid or meaningful than anyone else's. Awards don't tell us what we will like — I hate BotW — so they're funtionally no different to a review by some guy you met at a bus stop or even me saying I hate the game just now.

That said, I suppose it's nice for Nintendo to see years of hard work be recognised and appreciated that way, so good for them. They did a good job (making something that isn't the kind of game I like, but hey, I'm not the entire market).

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
They are a load of bollocks. Just like professional reviews. Often the games that get those awards don't deserve them when far more deserving entries are ignored.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
I don't put much stake in them. Just like the Oscars, the Grammys, and all the others, they'll always be biased and not up to the times and overall meaningless. They are interesting enough to show trends though.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Wait I know whoever wins it shouldn't be taken as law, but what makes it so illegitimate? I think they've been pretty damn accurate each year.

2017: Breath of the Wild
2016: Overwatch
2015: Witcher 3
2014: Dragon Age IV Inquisition
2013: Grand Theft Auto V
2012: The Walking Dead
2011: Skyrim
2010: Red Dead Redemption
2009: Uncharted 2
2008: Grand Theft Auto IV
2007: Bioshock
2006: Oblivion
2005: Resident Evil 4
2004: Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
2003: Madden 04

I mean of course you're free to disagree, but generally, public view and critic reviews support these choices. Some pretty unanimously.

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
They're a thing alright. It's cool for games that people like to get praise. I see people getting salty over them sometimes, which doesn't seem worthwhile even if I were to disagree with whatever game gets them. Besides, I can't play everything that comes out each year. This year for example I've yet to get to NierA, Nioh (which is the one that looks more up my alley) and Odyssey.

That said, even as someone who likes BotW, it seems a little soon for awards to start when we still have a little over a month of 2017 left and at least one more Nintendo game that will probably be somebody's favorite. It's hard for awards not to seem like a popularity contest when they happen this hastily.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
Wait I know whoever wins it shouldn't be taken as law, but what makes it so illegitimate? I think they've been pretty damn accurate each year.

2017: Breath of the Wild
2016: Overwatch
2015: Witcher 3
2014: Dragon Age IV Inquisition
2013: Grand Theft Auto V
2012: The Walking Dead
2011: Skyrim
2010: Red Dead Redemption
2009: Uncharted 2
2008: Grand Theft Auto IV
2007: Bioshock
2006: Oblivion
2005: Resident Evil 4
2004: Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
2003: Madden 04

I mean of course you're free to disagree, but generally, public view and critic reviews support these choices. Some pretty unanimously.
Especially for the Game of the Year awards, it's the fact that literally everyone gives Game of the Year Awards. At least in Hollywood the Oscars are chosen by the people in the industry. Most of them are voted on by the people, making it pretty much a popularity contest. Not only that, we haven't even decided which awards are the big ones yet. Is it the Golden Joysticks? The Game Awards? As far as I can tell, they're being given equal focus, despite their outcomes and categories being different.
There's so much that makes the video game awards season worse than that of the films/music/etc. Those are my two major issues with it.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
It's really not that big of a deal though and the 'problem' you mention is kind of unavoidable.

It's like how music, tv show and film mediums have hundreds of different award shows. We just tend to recognise the most prestigious. It's no different with games. Whether you agree or not, the VGAs are the most popular award show and probably the most recognised.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
We're not even discussing the VGAs in this thread, that's my point. BotW won the golden joystick, not the VGA. Those won't be announced for a few more weeks.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I don't know what your point is though. Film, music and TV mediums are the same. They have tons of awards from different organisations and critics. Which one is the true one? That's not a question because there is no true one. They're just as subjective as you or I. We just tend to recognise and respect, even use as a standard, the more prestigious ones. The Grammys, the Oscars, the Emmys, the VGAs etc.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
The fact that there is no true one means that they shouldn't be given any weight. Prestige is only given to them becayse people give it to them. Which one we look at is just as subjective as the winners themselves.
(Sorry if my arguments seem not super well organized. I dont tend to think ahead when I post so I don't prep for later points)

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
You've just said it. We give them prestige. The most recognised organisations are the ones we recognise. Maybe it's due to tradition, respect, influence, whatever. This is no different to the other mediums. You pick which one to recognise. Pick none. It doesn't change the status or prestige of them.

Me personally? I couldn't give a flying **** about awards or the VGAs. Though it's definitely one of, if not the, most recognised and respected. Looking through their winners, I find it hard to disagree with them.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
Any organization who puts Madden as the top game of a stacked year like 2003 I disagree with :P
EDIT: I know its public voting but it's only a halfway serious point anyways

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom