• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo I just don't get it.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
It's been a success so far, but they haven't announced any 3rd party games that are worth noticing. Sure, ****ing Mario Rabbids is a 3rd party game, but clearly no one cares. They need to get games that people care about. Games that'll bring positive attention. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt so far, that maybe they haven't gotten games because devs didn't have the Switch tech at the time they made said game (Tekken 7, Prey, Injustice).

They are coming out with Skyrim but not FF15. There is no excuse for that, especially if Square are supposed to be supporting Nintendo.

I'm not saying the game lineup is bad. I expect more though, especially from a company like Nintendo. I don't see that as an unreasonable complaint.

I'm really, really confused how 1.) You would expect more from the first year of a console launch when every new system launch in recent memory has lacked a massive variety of core titles, and 2.) How you don't think the lineup is bad, and yet you're complaining about it. What other launch can you point towards that has met your expectations? I've already pointed out that the variety from Nintendo itself during the first year is staggering, and yet you still seem to think that it doesn't appeal to a much wider range of people than almost every other console launch despite the games and genres I've pointed out.

The Switch is also waaaaay too overpriced for what it is. $300 for this thing. I can get an Xbox One for almost $50 less, and I'll have a much larger selection of games to play. And that leads me once again, to my demographic issue.

It's very unreasonable to expect a brand new system, with new technology to boot that acts as a core attraction, to be the same price as a system that's been out for a number of years now. I'm also very confused as to why this is a complaint for you now of all times - are you claiming that the Wii U had a wider selection of games than the Xbox One? Or is it that the Switch itself lacks third party support? If that's your claim, I'm afraid it's completely non-unique; Nintendo has been lacking in the 3rd party department since the Nintendo 64. But I thought your complaint was about first party titles? Again, kind of confused as to what you're trying to say here.

The Switch should appeal to everyone, but it doesn't. The only thing that has saved the Switch from complete failure has been Breath of the Wild. It's the only game that appeals to non-Nintendo fans in my eyes, and it's the very reason people bought the Switch in the first place. An unwise decision, but who am I to say?

I understand that you personally seem to have very limited interests that seem to consist of 2 or 3 series, but you simply cannot make the claim that this holds true for the vast majority of the gaming market, because it isn't true. 1.) The numbers are against this claim, as people are clearly interested in the system and buying it, and 2.) I've already pointed out how incredibly varied in genres this first year is going to be. You seem to be ignoring all the examples of games I've been pointing out, and broadly addressing them as something you don't personally find appealing. Again, you can like what you like, but it's difficult to claim that the vast majority of gamers share your exact reasoning for the two reasons above.

What you and the others are saying does make sense, and I can agree with you to an extent: The lineup is impressive. But only if you compare it to the abomination that is the Wii U. But compare it to any other console...and no contest. The Switch will come in last every time.

Again, this is completely non-unique to the Switch, and if this is your core argument, I'm thinking you should have jumped ship to Sony after the launch of the Playstation 2, which completely embarrassed the competition when it came to game selection and variety. I'm confused as to why you think this is a new problem for the Switch - it's literally been this way for two decades, and I think the argument itself is flawed when, again, I thought your complaint was with the first party lineup and not the third party one (I'm still confused what I'm actually arguing against since this discussion is going every which way and seems to be a really broad complaint topic).

I'm refering to third party content when I say game quality is lacking.

Okay, so it really is just the third party content you're complaining about? And not the first party content? If so, then yeah, I agree. But I thought that was a given that we all understood since Nintendo has had this problem for the past 25 years. I'm also starting to think that maybe Nintendo as a whole might not be for you anymore if a vast majority of its IPs (Kirby, Yoshi, Metroid, Splatoon, Metroid) aren't worth owning for you - you would certainly be off better with a PS4, which I own and very much enjoy.

Edit: I should also say that this is completely indepedent of the Switch's new draw, playing console games on the go. I've been ignoring it since you don't seem to be interested, but again, you cannot claim that it isn't a selling point to a vast majority of people just because your own interests are very limited.

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
I'm really, really confused how 1.) You would expect more from the first year of a console launch when every new system launch in recent memory has lacked a massive variety of core titles, and 2.) How you don't think the lineup is bad, and yet you're complaining about it. What other launch can you point towards that has met your expectations? I've already pointed out that the variety from Nintendo itself during the first year is staggering, and yet you still seem to think that it doesn't appeal to a much wider range of people than almost every other console launch despite the games and genres I've pointed out.

It's very unreasonable to expect a brand new system, with new technology to boot that acts as a core attraction, to be the same price as a system that's been out for a number of years now. I'm also very confused as to why this is a complaint for you now of all times - are you claiming that the Wii U had a wider selection of games than the Xbox One? Or is it that the Switch itself lacks third party support? If that's your claim, I'm afraid it's completely non-unique; Nintendo has been lacking in the 3rd party department since the Nintendo 64. But I thought your complaint was about first party titles? Again, kind of confused as to what you're trying to say here.

I understand that you personally seem to have very limited interests that seem to consist of 2 or 3 series, but you simply cannot make the claim that this holds true for the vast majority of the gaming market, because it isn't true. 1.) The numbers are against this claim, as people are clearly interested in the system and buying it, and 2.) I've already pointed out how incredibly varied in genres this first year is going to be. You seem to be ignoring all the examples of games I've been pointing out, and broadly addressing them as something you don't personally find appealing. Again, you can like what you like, but it's difficult to claim that the vast majority of gamers share your exact reasoning for the two reasons above.

Again, this is completely non-unique to the Switch, and if this is your core argument, I'm thinking you should have jumped ship to Sony after the launch of the Playstation 2, which completely embarrassed the competition when it came to game selection and variety. I'm confused as to why you think this is a new problem for the Switch - it's literally been this way for two decades, and I think the argument itself is flawed when, again, I thought your complaint was with the first party lineup and not the third party one (I'm still confused what I'm actually arguing against since this discussion is going every which way and seems to be a really broad complaint topic).

Okay, so it really is just the third party content you're complaining about? And not the first party content? If so, then yeah, I agree. But I thought that was a given that we all understood since Nintendo has had this problem for the past 25 years. I'm also starting to think that maybe Nintendo as a whole might not be for you anymore if a vast majority of its IPs (Kirby, Yoshi, Metroid, Splatoon, Metroid) aren't worth owning for you - you would certainly be off better with a PS4, which I own and very much enjoy.

Edit: I should also say that this is completely indepedent of the Switch's new draw, playing console games on the go. I've been ignoring it since you don't seem to be interested, but again, you cannot claim that it isn't a selling point to a vast majority of people just because your own interests are very limited.

Feels like this debate is going nowhere, since it's clearly just different opinions. That's cool, but...I just feel like Nintendo is screwing some of us over.

And just because my tastes are "limited" (which they're not) doesn't mean the Switch is a failue to me. It's not unreasonable to think it should appeal to everyone when it doesn't. I like a good platformer, or adventure game. But Nintendo just pushes the same thing on us over and over, and I'm done blindly following. The only game changer (no pun intended) that they have for the Switch is Breath of the Wild.

Nintendo relies too heavily on it's past successes, and each new console or game borrows the idea from the last with very little that has changed, and they call it "innovation".

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Feels like this debate is going nowhere, since it's clearly just different opinions. That's cool, but...I just feel like Nintendo is screwing some of us over.

And just because my tastes are "limited" (which they're not) doesn't mean the Switch is a failue to me. It's not unreasonable to think it should appeal to everyone when it doesn't. I like a good platformer, or adventure game. But Nintendo just pushes the same thing on us over and over, and I'm done blindly following. The only game changer (no pun intended) that they have for the Switch is Breath of the Wild.

Nintendo relies too heavily on it's past successes, and each new console or game borrows the idea from the last with very little that has changed, and they call it "innovation".
The console is only 3 months old, and we have had a new I.P. That makes something completely new out of the genre, and Breath of the Wild. How can you be calling things rehashes when something 100%, completely new and unique released just last Friday?

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
It's not unreasonable to think it should appeal to everyone
No specific thing has ever appealed to everyone. It's impossible. The switch is doing well, from what I can tell, is because it's bringing some ideas out there. A hybrid system that you can take on the go or play on your TV, anew take on fighting games, and BotW stepping away from it's typical formula. There's also Splatoon which is a kind of new ip that's making a name for itself with it's switch squeal. The switch has a lot of new things that are getting people excited and wanting to try them out.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
On the subject of how the Switch runs, I don't get the complaints about that, either. Like, it runs just fine. The only issue I've ever truly had with how it runs is connecting to the eShop only works about 50% of the time. But having said that, when I was playing online in FAST RMX I had no connection issues. So it seems to just be an eShop thing, which I imagine could be fixed easily with an update or something. The recent firmware update has made some of the features like friend requests even better, and it was already better than how it worked on the 3DS in the first place. The Switch is a really, really, really good system thus far.

Comparing it to the likes of PS4 and Xbox seems pointless to me because, for one thing... it's a handheld lol. And also, if the games on it are good and run good (which they are and they do), then why should it matter that much? Seems like a kind of petty argument, imo. 3DS has one of the best gaming libraries ever, and it's a handheld, so its not as powerful as the likes of the PS4 and Xbox yet I'll take my 3DS over either of them any day. Console power isn't everything.

Feels like this debate is going nowhere, since it's clearly just different opinions.

I disagree this is due to different opinions. I believe you are objectively incorrect when you claim the Switch has no variety and doesn't appeal to enough people, as there are sales numbers and games that prove you wrong.

I do agree that the debate is going nowhere. Your failure to address my points on 2017 game variety, future 1st party support for beyond 2017, and empirical problems with 3rd party support non-unique to the Switch leads me to believe there is no point in continuing this conversation.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
No specific thing has ever appealed to everyone. It's impossible. The switch is doing well, from what I can tell, is because it's bringing some ideas out there. A hybrid system that you can take on the go or play on your TV, anew take on fighting games, and BotW stepping away from it's typical formula. There's also Splatoon which is a kind of new ip that's making a name for itself with it's switch squeal. The switch has a lot of new things that are getting people excited and wanting to try them out.

I don't know what is meant by appeal to everyone, I cant speak for her. What I will say is there hasn't been a console yet that does. The Wii appealed to the fickle casual market but not the hardcore or mainstream gamer. A console that appeals to everyone would in my view simultaneously appeal to the fickle casual market and the hardcore gaming crowd. Which means games like Wii sports and Just dance along with all the major 3rd party releases. And this is where the switch is let down. It isn't even getting FF15, its not getting Deus Ex, there is no Witcher. If you want those things you can either go X1 or if you aren't into halo and want some great 1st party games as well, then you go for the PS4.

Most people don't buy two consoles. The Switch is not as cheap as the Wii was where many people had a 360 as well, the switch is competing even more directly with PS now and personally I find the PS4 more appealing. Better graphics, better games, a blu ray and DVD player.

The only reason I bought a switch is because (against my better judgement now I might add) I am really into Zelda. Apart from that it has little appeal to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom