• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo I just don't get it.

I wouldnt blame the big N entirely for their current direction. Though making the best quality products should be a priority for them Fans have encouraged them to become the way they are, spreading their butt cheeks for Nintendo's ****ing. It is them supporting all the rehashes and one minute wonder titles with little longevity. Until people speak up and start complaining, nothing will change.
I wholeheartedly agree. I do see a lot of complaints about it, the problem is people are still dumb enough to keep throwing their money away for it. And since it mostly appeals to a younger audience, you have dumb parents who think it's all brand new.

You guys are making me cry. I bought a Switch, and WW&TPHD on WiiU and i'd still rather play something from Nintendo than anyone else.

I am that terrible Nintendork who buys their stuff that you hate. :(

Why you hate me? :(

Please dont hate me. :(

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
The 3DS w
ill never be "done". And if it ever actually is done because of the Switch, then I am done with Nintendo, because that just proves to me they choose money over their fans. (As well as lack of quality.)

As for your other arguments, I agree that the games are not bad. They look very fun. The only problem with them is that most of them lack longevity. I couldn't see myself or anyone else spending an extraordinary amount of time on games like Splatoon 2 or Arms.

When comparing the Switch to other systems, it's a matter of portability vs. quality. The Switch does not offer quality hardware but it does offer portability, and some gamers prefer that, and that's fine...but...I just feel as if the quality of the console itself and it's games are lacking in a day and age where it shouldn't.
Why is this? I mean, should we be mad that the Nintendo currently isn't supporting the Nintendo DS? Consoles age, and the 3DS has had a fantastic life, and the 3DS no longer being supported in 2019 means that it had an 8 year lifespan. That is incredibly long for the console. That is actually longest a Nintendo console has ever been supported. Every console has a life cycle, and the 3DS's has had a great life cycle.

Splatoon 2 is a sequel of a new I.P. that has almost sold more than Smash Wii U and Super Mario 3D World. It was the first new I.P.(and first home console game) in Japan to sell over 1 million within the past 5-7 years, and it has been quite successful in the West. The original Splatoon had longetivity ever since it released, and an extremely healthy and passionate fanbase. That is because Splatoon was constantly supported with new content almost every 2 weeks, with new maps, clothing, and weapons. Splatoon 2 will absolutely not be different. Also, Splatoon has developed it's own competitive community, with even ZD's own @Krazy4Krash participating in a tournament against the best Splatoon players in the world this E3. It absolutely has longevity, perhaps even more so than any other game releasing this year.

As for ARMS: It is hard to say about how it is going to perform in the longrun. However, it is being supported in the same way that Splatoon is. However, just today have Media Create sales have come out from Japan.
ARMS has sold over 122,000 copies in Japan, which is a massive success, especially for a fighting game. To put this in context: Street Fighter V sold 41,000 and the very recently released Tekken 7 sold 58,000 in its first week. So. ARMS has sold over what Street Fighter V and Tekken sold in their first weeks combined. The game is a hit in Japan, more to say, especially as a new IP. Now, it is yet to be determined how ARMS is doing in the US(however, it is one of the best selling games on Amazon currently), but in Japan alone it is a huge success.

I am not even a fan of ARMS, I would rather get Splatoon over it, and I am likely never going to pick up the actual game. But the success of it, and how much fans are enjoying it do to its deep strategy cannot be ignored.

I wouldnt blame the big N entirely for their current direction. Though making the best quality products should be a priority for them Fans have encouraged them to become the way they are, spreading their butt cheeks for Nintendo's ****ing. It is them supporting all the rehashes and one minute wonder titles with little longevity. Until people speak up and start complaining, nothing will change.
Mariokart 8. A complete rehash. I agree. Splatoon 2? Absolutely not. The only rehashes this year are Mariokart 8, and Pokken DX. One minute wonder titles? I would hardly call competitive multiplayer games "one minute wonder" titles, especially since they have way more longetivity than single player games.
I wholeheartedly agree. I do see a lot of complaints about it, the problem is people are still dumb enough to keep throwing their money away for it. And since it mostly appeals to a younger audience, you have dumb parents who think it's all brand new.
The Switch doesn't appeal to a younger audience. It appeals to my demographic, and this has been a focal point for Nintendo's advertising. Notice, there isn't a single kid in really any of these advertisements:

And it has been working: The College demographic actually really loves this console, as we have seen. Not only this, but it appeals to competitive gamers as well, with ARMS, and Splatoon 2 taking a focal point for Switch's summer lineup.

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
You guys are making me cry. I bought a Switch, and WW&TPHD on WiiU and i'd still rather play something from Nintendo than anyone else.

Omg don't cry I still love you :kawaii:

As for ARMS: It is hard to say about how it is going to perform in the longrun. However, it is being supported in the same way that Splatoon is. However, just today have Media Create sales have come out from Japan.
ARMS has sold over 122,000 copies in Japan, which is a massive success, especially for a fighting game. To put this in context: Street Fighter V sold 41,000 and the very recently released Tekken 7 sold 58,000 in its first week. So. ARMS has sold over what Street Fighter V and Tekken sold in their first weeks combined. The game is a hit in Japan, more to say, especially as a new IP. Now, it is yet to be determined how ARMS is doing in the US(however, it is one of the best selling games on Amazon currently), but in Japan alone it is a huge success.

I am not even a fan of ARMS, I would rather get Splatoon over it, and I am likely never going to pick up the actual game. But the success of it, and how much fans are enjoying it do to its deep strategy cannot be ignored.

The entire world does not consist of only the US and Japan, so that argument is invalid.

The Switch doesn't appeal to a younger audience. It appeals to my demographic, and this has been a focal point for Nintendo's advertising. Notice, there isn't a single kid in really any of these advertisements:
And it has been working: The College demographic actually really loves this console, as we have seen. Not only this, but it appeals to competitive gamers as well, with ARMS, and Splatoon 2 taking a focal point for Switch's summer lineup.

The Switch should appeal to people of all ages, not just college students and younger kids. That's also an argument your making that goes against what you're defending. If it appeals to you, that's great. But a system that only appeals to a small demographic? That's not a good thing.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Omg don't cry I still love you :kawaii:

The entire world does not consist of only the US and Japan, so that argument is invalid.
Sales-wise. Money talks. Now, a game not doing well in a region doesn't mean it's a failure. We simply cannot say how ARMS is doing in Europe quite yet, nor can we say in America either, just since the sales data has not come in. But let's say that ARMS bombed in Europe for a second. That still won't make ARMS any more of a failure since it sells well in the US and Japan(who by the way, by far has the biggest Nintendo demographic compared to the rest of the world). If ARMS sold 2 million copies between the US and Japan, and in Europe ARMS only sold 200,000, ARMS would still be success. Because it sold more than 2 million units worldwide.
The Switch should appeal to people of all ages, not just college students and younger kids. That's also an argument your making that goes against what you're defending. If it appeals to you, that's great. But a system that only appeals to a small demographic? That's not a good thing.
The demographic they are approaching, is college students and up, and that is hardly a small demographic, as it makes up the majority of gamers. Furthermore, the Switch completely appeals to nearly every consumer in Japan, as portable systems are the only systems that many play over there any more.

If Switch was only appealing to a small demographic, it would not be selling well. Period. Just like the Wii U. Like I said, so far, the Switch is on pace with the Wii's lifecycle 3 months in. Within the first 3 months(ish) of the Wii releasing, the Wii had sold about 5 million units worldwide. As of March 31st, 3 months ago, the Switch had sold 2.7 million units. We unfortunately do not have accurate sales data for now, we will get our official statement in about 5 days. But the Switch has consistently been sold out, both in the US and Japan since early April.

Listen, you are trying to argue that Switch appeals to a small demographic, but really: the numbers we have don't concur with that statement. If it was appealing to a small demographic, we would not be seeing sales like this. It would have sold like the Wii U(which appealed to a small demographic).

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~

I dont hate you. I can accept that nobody is perfect. Your other qualities are loveable and so I can ignore the fact you are an amiibo buyer.

Mariokart 8. A complete rehash. I agree. Splatoon 2? Absolutely not. The only rehashes this year are Mariokart 8, and Pokken DX. One minute wonder titles? I would hardly call competitive multiplayer games "one minute wonder" titles, especially since they have way more longetivity than single player games.

It is a young console at this stage. There is no telling exactly how far they will take the rehashes. I just don't want to see them go down that road too often. Mario Kart 8 is definitely one and probably Super Reh4sh Bros will come too.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
I dont hate you. I can accept that nobody is perfect. Your other qualities are loveable and so I can ignore the fact you are an amiibo buyer.

It is a young console at this stage. There is no telling exactly how far they will take the rehashes. I just don't want to see them go down that road too often. Mario Kart 8 is definitely one and probably Super Reh4sh Bros will come too.
As long as Rehashes comes alongside new games. Such as Metroid Prime 4, or Kirby or Yoshi. They really do no harm, as they really are there to appeal to people who didn't own the Wii U. They take minimal development time, so they don't take away from development on new games(as seen with ARMS and MK8 releasing 2 months within each other, yet made by the exact same studio in Nintendo). They are harmless. However, if they only rely on rehashes without new games along side them, then that is a huge problem. I agree.

I don't understand this thread at all. The Switch has the best first year line-up of any Nintendo console ever. We already have Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart, and a new IP in the form of Arms out. Splatoon 2, Mario x Rabbids Kingdom Battle, Pokken Tournament DX, Super Mario Odyssey, Fire Emblem Warriors, and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 will be out before the end of the year. That is an impressive variety of game genres right out of the gate.

I don't understand this thread at all. The Switch has the best first year line-up of any Nintendo console ever. We already have Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart, and a new IP in the form of Arms out. Splatoon 2, Mario x Rabbids Kingdom Battle, Pokken Tournament DX, Super Mario Odyssey, Fire Emblem Warriors, and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 will be out before the end of the year. That is an impressive variety of game genres right out of the gate.

Just missing F-Zero...

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ

What is it exactly that you don't understand?

What is it exactly that you don't understand?

Your complaint seems to be that you think Nintendo is dropping the ball on first party titles that don't appeal to fans. I believe this is what he's interpreting your purpose as.

I have to say though, I don't understand the complaints either. Sure, if your interests are limited to 2 or 3 series, you're probably not going to be content right off the bat because.... your interests are limited to 2 or 3 series. If Animal Crossing and Pokemon is all you care about, sure, the Switch probably isn't for you right now. But it's an unrealistic expectation to think that Nintendo is going to cater specifically to your very limited interests during the first four months of a new console launch.

For others, the first party content has been impressive. Arms and Splatoon 2 for online gaming enthusiasts, Xenoblade Chroncles 2 for JRPG fans, Mario Odyssey for platforming interests, and Fire Emblem Warriors for an action title with a fresh take on a long-standing franchise. These are all incredibly varied first party titles that span multiple genres, and all planned for release before the console is even a single year old. Beyond that, we've got Yoshi, Kirby, Pokemon, and Metroid planned for the system as well. This is a first party lineup that even the Wii would be envious of in the first one to two years.

This is independent of the Wii U re-releases, which make sense in the context of many Switch owners never owning a Wii U. Tons of people are getting to play Mario Kart 8 for the first time, with a vastly improved battle mode experience. Zelda is an obvious game that appeals to non-Wii U owners. Pokken is on the way too, for a fresh new fighting take on an incredibly popular franchise.

I have to agree, I don't understand complaints about Nintendo's first party lineup. Complaints about immediate third party support and minor things like lackluster UI are understandable, but I really can't comprehend why someone would complain about the Nintendo game lineup unless their interests are very, very limited, in which case you should probably never, ever pick up a new console shortly after launch anyway because this is the case with every single new console launch ever except perhaps the Playstation 2.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
My interests are limited to 2 or 3 series pretty much, yet I'm still vastly enjoying my Switch. This is because the games that will eventually release for it have me excited, and the ones that release in between are interesting enough for me to try them, and I've enjoyed all four of the ones I've gotten besides BotW (gonna be 5 tomorrow, actually). It's also because of what the Switch is; part handheld. I was sold on it the minute I learned that.

The point is, this kind of system should be enjoyable even for those like me who are extremely picky with their games. So I don't understand the complaints, either.

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
I have the boyzone song love you anyway in my head....
I don’t get it, I really don’t get it,
I try to walk away but my feet won’t let me.
I don’t get it, I just don’t get it,
I try to walk away but my feet won’t let me.

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
Your complaint seems to be that you think Nintendo is dropping the ball on first party titles that don't appeal to fans. I believe this is what he's interpreting your purpose as.

I have to say though, I don't understand the complaints either. Sure, if your interests are limited to 2 or 3 series, you're probably not going to be content right off the bat because.... your interests are limited to 2 or 3 series. If Animal Crossing and Pokemon is all you care about, sure, the Switch probably isn't for you right now. But it's an unrealistic expectation to think that Nintendo is going to cater specifically to your very limited interests during the first four months of a new console launch.

For others, the first party content has been impressive. Arms and Splatoon 2 for online gaming enthusiasts, Xenoblade Chroncles 2 for JRPG fans, Mario Odyssey for platforming interests, and Fire Emblem Warriors for an action title with a fresh take on a long-standing franchise. These are all incredibly varied first party titles that span multiple genres, and all planned for release before the console is even a single year old. Beyond that, we've got Yoshi, Kirby, Pokemon, and Metroid planned for the system as well. This is a first party lineup that even the Wii would be envious of in the first one to two years.

This is independent of the Wii U re-releases, which make sense in the context of many Switch owners never owning a Wii U. Tons of people are getting to play Mario Kart 8 for the first time, with a vastly improved battle mode experience. Zelda is an obvious game that appeals to non-Wii U owners. Pokken is on the way too, for a fresh new fighting take on an incredibly popular franchise.

I have to agree, I don't understand complaints about Nintendo's first party lineup. Complaints about immediate third party support and minor things like lackluster UI are understandable, but I really can't comprehend why someone would complain about the Nintendo game lineup unless their interests are very, very limited, in which case you should probably never, ever pick up a new console shortly after launch anyway because this is the case with every single new console launch ever except perhaps the Playstation 2.

I'm not saying the game lineup is bad. I expect more though, especially from a company like Nintendo. I don't see that as an unreasonable complaint.

The Switch is also waaaaay too overpriced for what it is. $300 for this thing. I can get an Xbox One for almost $50 less, and I'll have a much larger selection of games to play. And that leads me once again, to my demographic issue.

The Switch should appeal to everyone, but it doesn't. The only thing that has saved the Switch from complete failure has been Breath of the Wild. It's the only game that appeals to non-Nintendo fans in my eyes, and it's the very reason people bought the Switch in the first place. An unwise decision, but who am I to say?

What you and the others are saying does make sense, and I can agree with you to an extent: The lineup is impressive. But only if you compare it to the abomination that is the Wii U. But compare it to any other console...and no contest. The Switch will come in last every time.

All I can say is that when it comes to the Switch and the future of Nintendo: I'm hoping for the best, but I expect the worst.

I expect the worst because: 1. Nintendo only caters to their tiny demographic. 2. They make decisions soley based on money. (And yes, it is working, but not in favor of the consumer) and 3. They don't always have the best quality. And that goes for games, systems, and accessories.

Once again, the actual Nintendo games themselves are very good quality (when they're not obvious remakes in order to get a dollar). I'm refering to third party content when I say game quality is lacking.

I can only hope that the Switch improves, but I know I'm very unlikely to see that, until we've moved on to the next lackluster system.

Reactions: Dio

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
I'm not saying the game lineup is bad. I expect more though, especially from a company like Nintendo. I don't see that as an unreasonable complaint.

The Switch is also waaaaay too overpriced for what it is. $300 for this thing. I can get an Xbox One for almost $50 less, and I'll have a much larger selection of games to play. And that leads me once again, to my demographic issue.

The Switch should appeal to everyone, but it doesn't. The only thing that has saved the Switch from complete failure has been Breath of the Wild. It's the only game that appeals to non-Nintendo fans in my eyes, and it's the very reason people bought the Switch in the first place. An unwise decision, but who am I to say?

What you and the others are saying does make sense, and I can agree with you to an extent: The lineup is impressive. But only if you compare it to the abomination that is the Wii U. But compare it to any other console...and no contest. The Switch will come in last every time.

All I can say is that when it comes to the Switch and the future of Nintendo: I'm hoping for the best, but I expect the worst.

I expect the worst because: 1. Nintendo only caters to their tiny demographic. 2. They make decisions soley based on money. (And yes, it is working, but not in favor of the consumer) and 3. They don't always have the best quality. And that goes for games, systems, and accessories.

Once again, the actual Nintendo games themselves are very good quality (when they're not obvious remakes in order to get a dollar). I'm refering to third party content when I say game quality is lacking.

I can only hope that the Switch improves, but I know I'm very unlikely to see that, until we've moved on to the next lackluster system.
I would like you to find a year where a Nintendo console had more titles than the first year of Switch. Not even the Wii had a year with this sort of lineup. In regards to other consoles: still. Absolutely not. Compare PS4's and Xbox's first year. You gotta remember, the Switch is only 3 months old.

Plus. I mean, you keep saying that this caters to a "tiny demographic" while the Switch has proven this isn't the case. The thing is sold out worldwide, so much so that many people cannot even buy a Switch. So why are you saying it reaches a small demographic? Nintendo is absolutely killing it with this system, and it is not even holiday season yet.

In regards to a supposed "quality" of a console. I would say the exact opposite, as the Switch is quite simply, the best portable console ever released. And it has the best controls, screen, power, and online capability of any portable console released.

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
It's been a success so far, but they haven't announced any 3rd party games that are worth noticing. Sure, ****ing Mario Rabbids is a 3rd party game, but clearly no one cares. They need to get games that people care about. Games that'll bring positive attention. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt so far, that maybe they haven't gotten games because devs didn't have the Switch tech at the time they made said game (Tekken 7, Prey, Injustice).

Reactions: Dio

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom