• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Official Suggestions Thread

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I dont know if this exists or not but there should be a game query subforum. I suppose it could apply to any media such as anime or film also.

How it would work is if one member is thinking of purchasing a new game but is unsure, they make the thread and those who have played it can say if they enjoyed it or not and wether they recommend it, helping that member make their decision.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I actually like the idea of having important sections such as Game Help returned, i found the answer to many of my zelda issues for it. I also like that idea of G-kings, the query subforum, though i'd state it as review section for games

Salem

SICK
I know it's wishful thinking, but I think actually we should have one subsection, per game. Why the hell not? Can you give me one good reason why? Other than "activity isn't high enough."
One subsection per game is inconvient, I have to click through how many pages to read all of the forum? As the matter if fact, when will they merge the current Zelda subsections?

DARK MASTER

The Emperor
I think improving the current themes should be our immediate goal. We at least need a main theme; the "Lost Woulds" is the closest thing, but even that is pretty dull and troll. Something to match the main site would be nice. Would are some theme improvements you guys would like to see?

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Given the actual volume of posts there are waaaaaaaay too many subforums and categories and subforums within subforums within subforums. It'd be smart to condense a lot of it into single forums for things - instead of having a whole bunch of dedicated individual game forums, have a single one. It'll cut down on threads like "Is the two-hundred and seventy-sixth frame of the new trailer for Zelda Wii U cool?" because people won't feel the need to populate an entire subforum with threads about a single, unreleased game, and it'll consolidate a lot of discussion into one place which will make it feel more active which will in turn lead to it being actually more active.

When you have so many subforums where the most recent post might have actually been a week ago, it makes the entire site look turgid and slothful. Cut down. Condense. Streamline.

I actually think we should do the exact opposite. I think we need to divide the sections up back like they were in the old days. Maybe not the same categories. But certainly not what they were now. Game Help needs to be its own section again. It just has no place being merged in the general master section. I know it's wishful thinking, but I think actually we should have one subsection, per game. Why the hell not? Can you give me one good reason why? Other than "activity isn't high enough." Who cares about that? And it's not even true. I am certain we'll actually see an overall increase in activity. We can still use the master forum to have general series conversations or about games outside the main series. And instead of each game being a main forum, have them be subforums
Matt, I think there is a certain point were things can go too far in one direction. I personally think the forum is ok as is, it's not heavily condensed, yet not heavily divided and sub-divided either. Going with your idea of dedicating sub-sections for particular games is too exterme for a forum, the whole point of condensing things is to keep organization—while dividing games up seems organized I imagine it turning into a giant mess. Too many sub-forums will only futher confuse people (especially new members) and make things too complex. Moderation will be more difficult because rather than accessing one main Forum section like World of Zelda, Mods would have to individually access each sub-forum. You'd either have to get more Mods, or eventually just go back to condensing things for convenience.

Garo, condensing is ok, but only if it's productive condensing. Would I suggest merging World of Zelda with Zelda Theory for the sake of condensing things? No, because both deserve their rightful sections, they're fine as is. I think it's a little too late to try merging the Zelda Wii U section with anything, if anything the condensing we need there is to create threads that have a wide encompassing point rather than small, individual topics. So if there is any condensing I'd just advise that it has good reasoning behind it and isn't done solely for the sake of condensing to make activity seem higher.

My thoughts are find the balance, don't go too far in either direction.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
I like the sections as they are for the most part. Having one section for each Zelda game would be way over the top and a pain to navigate for no benefit. It is a bit weird to have a Pokemon section with all the Zelda ones, especially since Pokemon Dungeon basically isn't a thing any more. I don't think it's worth adding Game Help section, seems like it'd be better as a thread prefix (which we should be taking more advantage of). One thing I noticed recently was that the General Zelda section still has MM-64 and MM-3D prefixes from when we merged the MM3D section. I honestly wouldn't mind if all the Zelda threads were in one place if we had a reworked prefix/flair system.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
One sticky isn't enough. We need a whole subforum with a thread dedicated to each game a person queries.

The subforum itself could be called game and media queries. If I wanted to buy a game, for instance: Fallout 4. I'd make a thread in this subforum called fallout 4. I'd ask the questions I want to know and users who have played can answer them and recommend or not recommend the game.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
One sticky isn't enough. We need a whole subforum with a thread dedicated to each game a person queries.

The subforum itself could be called game and media queries. If I wanted to buy a game, for instance: Fallout 4. I'd make a thread in this subforum called fallout 4. I'd ask the questions I want to know and users who have played can answer them and recommend or not recommend the game.
Oh, ok. Well than I'd say make it a Sub-forum in the General Gaming section. I wouldn't really say make a seperate one for Zelda in World of Zelda, people could just use the sub-forum in general gaming for Zelda games as well.

Djinn

and Tonic
Every so often people get the idea that nearly every subject can use its own subforum. Things were a bit worse about it a few years back before some condensing was done. I actually think things are okay as they are now tbh. Maybe the fanworks section is a bit too broken down but I never saw the point in breaking that up into 3 things in the first place.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
If I may:

I personally disagree wholeheartedly with the idea of having subforums for every Zelda game. That would make things way too complex and most of those subforums would get hardly any use and would probably lay barren for quite a long time. I like the current system that we have going on of having dedicated forum sections for discussion of current/unreleased games and having general Zelda discussion kept within the section named for such. The prefix system that is already in place seems sufficient enough to me for organization when it comes to threads pertaining to specific games in the series. Adding a whole bunch of subforums would turn the section, and the forum in general, into a cluttered mess and it would, overall, be way more of a nuisance than the current system, which I think is actually really efficient and works.

I agree with what Krash said about the World of Pokemon section though. It seems random and out of place within the Zelda discussion boards, especially since… well tbh, wtf is a Pokemon Dungeon? If anything, move the Pokemon forum to the General Gaming section and use it as a subforum. Pokemon is a big enough thing to have its own sub-section but it doesn’t belong with all the Zelda boards. Or just get rid of the section altogether and merge it with General Gaming, either options are completely viable imo.

Regarding Fan Works section, since @Djinn brought it up, I actually like having it broken up into categories. That way, if I want to go in to find drawings, I can go only to the art section and don’t have to go searching through a bunch of threads trying to find one about art. This is the type of division that is OK because it makes sense and is completely logical, and actually helpful. If anything, I say we can break it up even more. I’ve pushed for this before, and I’m going to do it again and keep doing it because it’s something I really want to see, I think there should be a dedicated music section in Fan Works. Zelda Dungeon is full of talented musicians just as it’s full of talented writers and artists, but we get little recognition for this due to the lack of any dedicated place to expose ourselves and present our work. I know several people on this forum who would likely use this hypothetical section fairly regularly, including myself. If writers, artists, and graphic artists can receive so much recognition, why can’t musicians?
Also, on that note, the graphic design section could be merged with Fan Works and operate as a subforum within that parent forum tbh, idk if it really needs a whole section to itself. It does work the way it is, but I don't think it's totally necessary.

Dan

Not a suggestion but a question, what ever happened to the galaxy theme? I was going to start using it as a January theme but was quite shocked to see it had vanished, I'm sure a few people used to use it too.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Not a suggestion but a question, what ever happened to the galaxy theme? I was going to start using it as a January theme but was quite shocked to see it had vanished, I'm sure a few people used to use it too.

It seems that the theme had been removed from the forum as it was not in the Admin Control Panel since I became an Admin. I did look through the database and found that some of the images from the forum still existed there so I've tried to put it back together for you based on what I can remember. Please let me know what you think, any feedback would be handy.

Reactions: Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom