• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Where Do You Keep Your Butter?

Where do you keep your butter

• In the fridge

Votes: 15 71.4%
  • In a butter dish

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Other (please elaborate)

Votes: 5 23.8%

• Total voters

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
So, I have recently become aware that certain people do not store butter in their fridge. They keep it out in butter dishes. I did not realize that this was a thing, and has caused many heated debates among me and my friends.

I was just curious, because of this, how the good ol' chaps here in ZD keep their butter.

Wouldn't it melt if it wasn't kept in the fridge? I mean, I could imagine people would want the butter to be softer so they can more easily smear it on their bread, but if that's the case, they're just buying the wrong kind. The type I get is always soft.

Night Owl

~Momentai
Usually we keep unopened boxes of butter in the freezer until needed.

We keep the stick we are currently using on a plate on the counter. And we keep the rest of the sticks from the box in fridge.

Night Owl

~Momentai
Wouldn't it melt if it wasn't kept in the fridge? I mean, I could imagine people would want the butter to be softer so they can more easily smear it on their bread, but if that's the case, they're just buying the wrong kind. The type I get is always soft.

The type you get might not really be butter. Or you might keep your fridge too warm.

I've found that butter flavored spreads stay soft in the fridge, they are usually a mixture of artificial fats and oils and aren't really butter. (e.g. I can't believe it's not butter)

I've found that spreadable butter can stay softer in the fridge because of other oils mixed in with the butter, but they can get too firm to spread nicely kept below 45 degrees fahrenheit.

Unsalted butter gets very firm in the fridge, to the point it can get near impossible to shave off flakes to put on food. It keeps its shape well though even as it gets softer and doesn't start melting until close to 85-90 degrees Fahrenheit.
(Salted butter might be softer, but I don't have experience with it.)

If it spreads well at low temperatures there is a good chance it isn't really butter.

Umm it would go bad if it weren't in the fridge. Fridge is where I keep it.
Butter doesn't go bad that quickly, I think we've had a stick out on the counter for close to a month without any change in taste or appearance. That's part of the reason they would turn milk into butter, so that it would keep longer without refrigeration.

Last edited:

Linkmaster30000

Aim for the knee
This is a complicated question for me.

If it were up to me, it'd stay in the fridge, but come out an hour before dinner so that it can soften a bit.

My wife likes to keep it out of the fridge and on a butter dish. I don't really mind that either, but she has this really bad habit of keeping it on top of the microwave. Any time the microwave is used, the butter melts just a little bit, so that by the time we use it, it's a mess.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
We use margarine rather than butter at my house and just keep it in the fridge within the container that is it purchased in. Leaving it out seems like an odd thing to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom