• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Xenoblade Chronicles X

selicyc

i never knew daylight could be so violent.
a mystery inside of an enigma wrapped in a soft fuzzy blanket of I don't even know what
From what I'm understanding, the only universal complaint thus far is about collecting materials from the field. I'm not surprised, as its predecessor suffered a similar problem. (I'm still salty about that one quest in the Nopon Village and the reconstruction of Colony Six. Ugh, Juju, why do you need so many rare items)?

As for me, I agree with @Call me Kenshin. You have to play the game yourself to see if you'll enjoy it.

D

Deleted member 14134

I was really on the fence for this game. I never played the first one but this one showed promise. These reviews have enlightened me, and showed me what a tedious game this is and for the complaints listed in the reviews I'm going to have to pass on it. Oh well, maybe when zelda u comes out in 2 years I'll finally have something to play on my wuu.

I obviously haven't played the game yet, so I can't do anything but speculate and theorize when it comes to how the game was received by some reviewers, but I can definitely see where a lot of people are coming from as it pertains to the issues that XCX apparently has.

I'm not really surprised that it isn't for everyone because, like others have said, it isn't made for everyone. JRPG's have been gradually declining in popularity for a while now, and this is mostly due to the advent of the "pick up and play" nature of many open world western RPGs that value accessibility and simplicity over everything else. The greatest example of this is none other than the king of WRPGs, The Elder Scrolls, specifically the changes that were made in Skyrim. This isn't a good or bad thing, but it reflects how the industry has been trending to an easier and less difficult to understand type of game that doesn't need to be played for hours to understand and grasp the basic mechanics of a given game. These types of games have been getting unreal success for that very reason - people want to keep playing a game that constantly rewards them and that they feel like they comprehend right from the start.

XCX doesn't really fit that modern mold too well from what I can tell. It seems to embrace more recent traits of RPGs in general, with cool-down skill times instead of "magic" points, fast-travel markers, character customization, and most of all a heavy focus on a deep and thought-provoking plot. I honestly wouldn't have it any other way, as, unfortunately, it seems like Nintendo has been two steps behind the competition in recent years when it comes to keeping up and trying to match what western developers have been doing for certain genres. The other half of that is that XCX, as it seems to be obvious by now, has a very steep learning curve and presentation that can be very, very intimidating to a lot of people. The game most likely demands a great deal of time and effort to be put into it before the player starts reaping the satisfying rewards of a massive and deep game.

I'm not a fan of video game "journalism", so my opinion might be biased, but that's the exact opposite of what your average video game reviewer wants to see. Reviewers more often than not seem to reflect the qualities of their audience, and since the majority of gamers today find enjoyment in your more accessible and mainstream games, it doesn't really surprise me much at all.

All that being said, it's still some very positive reception. Eagerly awaiting Friday so I can finally dive into this thing.

I was really on the fence for this game. I never played the first one but this one showed promise. These reviews have enlightened me, and showed me what a tedious game this is and for the complaints listed in the reviews I'm going to have to pass on it. Oh well, maybe when zelda u comes out in 2 years I'll finally have something to play on my wuu.

Two years is a little optimistic for Zelda bro, it's probably coming Winter 2018 or Spring 2019. I'd recommend selling your Wii U while it's still worth something, otherwise it's just an expensive dust collector.

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
and showed me what a tedious game this is and for the complaints listed in the reviews I'm going to have to pass on it.

Literally every RPG I can think of is tedious(grinding), how did you see this game being not tedious? That's fine, though, I don't blame you, RPG's can get very boring sometimes, it's more of a labor of love for RPG fans than anything, just last night I spend two hours in Fire Emblem Awakening doing the same mission over and over just to get gold (lunatic classic mode, it's tough as balls). In that file, out of 7 hours, I spent around 41/2 grinding, and I'm not done grinding yet. That's just the nature of RPG's, they're tedious.

D

Deleted member 14134

Literally every RPG I can think of is tedious(grinding), how did you see this game being not tedious? That's fine, though, I don't blame you, RPG's can get very boring sometimes, it's more of a labor of love for RPG fans than anything, just last night I spend two hours in Fire Emblem Awakening doing the same mission over and over just to get gold (lunatic classic mode, it's tough as balls). In that file, out of 7 hours, I spent around 41/2 grinding, and I'm not done grinding yet. That's just the nature of RPG's, they're tedious.

Most of what I play now are RPGs. Fire emblem, Fallout 4, Bloodborne, The Witcher 3, Divinity Original Sin, Dragon Age Inquisition and Madden NFL 16 are most of the titles I've played in the last year, all which happen to be RPG's or have strong RPG elements. I'm not a fan of mindless shooters or games without some sort of character growth/progression. But from these reviews it seems like XCX takes it to the next level.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Most of what I play now are RPGs. Fire emblem, Fallout 4, Bloodborne, The Witcher 3, Divinity Original Sin, Dragon Age Inquisition and Madden NFL 16 are most of the titles I've played in the last year, all which happen to be RPG's or have strong RPG elements. I'm not a fan of mindless shooters or games without some sort of character growth/progression. But from these reviews it seems like XCX takes it to the next level.
Whoa whoa whoa there buddy. First off, I think you are confusing grinding, with putting a lot of time into something. You actually really don't too much level grinding, since it really isn't grinding. Unless you want to call exploring unexplored areas, completing new quests, talking to new NPC's, battling new enemies "grinding". The most you get out of actual grinding, is collection quests. Where you explore and collect orbs to get random materials. However, most of those types of quests can be completely ignored. You are confusing depth and many things to do, with grinding. That's like saying Witcher 3 is a grinding fest because there's a lot to do.

Furthermore, regarding reviews. You must be reading terrible reviews, as most reviews have been glowing about it. Currently, on metacritic, there are a total of 18 reviews with a score of 9.0 and higher. I don't think such a tedious game would have gotten so many good reviews. Also, I implore you, please watch GameXplain's review of the game before you make your decision. Derrick quite literally goes through everything the game has to offer, including the flaws that game has. It is there, that you can see if this game is truly right for you. Furthermore, Derrick is unbiased, as he had never played Xenoblade, like you.

Might I add that Polygon was so stupid..... There are options... In the options menu, that allows you to turn off practically all of the User Interface.... Polygon was complete idiots....
I agree, they are just idiots.

I'm not a fan of video game "journalism", so my opinion might be biased, but that's the exact opposite of what your average video game reviewer wants to see. Reviewers more often than not seem to reflect the qualities of their audience, and since the majority of gamers today find enjoyment in your more accessible and mainstream games, it doesn't really surprise me much at all.
The average gamer today wants the gaming equivelant of crack cocaine. A quick hit of fun that requires little to no work to achieve.
I understand your points and you are correct. I blame the average videogamer here to whom the average reviwers try to emulate. They basically want their gaming for nothing (time wise) and their fun for free. You can't fault XCX and Monolithsoft for people actually feel the enjoyment of actually learning something and using that knowledge to good effect. That's too much like real life where you have to earm anything good the hard way for these average lazy gamers.

The average gamer is very lazy and wants everything handed to them on a silver platter. The reviewers blame XCX for not doing this, instead of praising XCX for rewarding dedication to playing the game (which XCX does well). This is a very sad but true fact of the average gamer these days.

Whoa whoa whoa there buddy. First off, I think you are confusing grinding, with putting a lot of time into something. You actually really don't too much level grinding, since it really isn't grinding. Unless yoFurthermore, regarding reviews. You must be reading terrible reviews, as most reviews have been glowing about it. Currently, on metacritic, there are a total of 18 reviews with a score of 9.0 and higher. I don't think such a tedious game would have gotten so many good reviews. Also, I implore you, please watch GameXplain's review of the game before you make your decision. Derrick quite literally goes through everything the game has to offer, including the flaws that game has. It is there, that you can see if this game is truly right for you. Furthermore, Derrick is unbiased, as he had never played Xenoblade, like you.
That gamexplain video review is pretty good actually. Unbiased, not because he has not played XC. Unbiased because he came to XCX with an open mind and was willing to work for his fun, not expect ti handed to him on a silver platter. Also he is one of the gamexplain folk that do not speak so fast. A great review and I would recommend it too.

I will agree and say 18+ scores of 9+ on metacritic do not say a bad game. This does not automatically say an amazing game either as many reivewers do let hype influence their scores. But for XCX's reviews, most of the good reviews seem rather unbiased. They discuss the game well. So the godo reviews are scoring the game well. The bad reviews like from Polygon are just idiots who do not understand what a JPRG is.

Also some informaton for everyone.

The disc people who download the better playing experience packs, are only downloading roughly 6.5GB. That's all I downloaded for all the 4 packs in total. The 4 packs unpack/install for a total of 10GB though. So you need 10GB for them to install (which you can do once you start the game for the first time), but you only downlaod 6.5GB. The more you know I guess . . . :)

Night Owl

~Momentai
I tried downloading the 4 packs the other day and it wouldn't let me because i had less than 15GB available.

I opted for just the basic pack and the monster pack

I figure it'll take me a while before i need the skell pack and I don't see the NPC pack as being that critical

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Which reviews are you referring to? You mean Polygon and Gamesradar, who didn't give XCX a higher rating than they did Fallout 4 or Witcher 3? Unfortunately, most of those reviews entirely missed the point of how XCX even plays; they thought that they could just breeze through the game and get the Skells within 5 hours with minimal effort. Apparently that's how the Big Name Games™ function these days, but that's not how XCX works. It sets you loose to move at your own pace and learn the systems through actual experience without utilizing washed-up hand-holding techniques present within the majority of the (PS4 and XB1) gaming market. In short, it takes time to learn XCX through-and-through, and it isn't "overly complicated" like those reviews suggest. They were just short on time due to deadlines and felt like bellyaching about it; as a player, you aren't bound to such constraints. Reconsider this.

And I'm sorry, but how does Fallout 4 present character growth? All of the trailers kept on advertising it as one of those "mindless shooters" you mentioned.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fig
D

Deleted member 14134

Which reviews are you referring to? You mean Polygon and Gamesradar, who didn't give XCX a higher rating than they did Fallout 4 or Witcher 3? Unfortunately, most of those reviews entirely missed the point of how XCX even plays; they thought that they could just breeze through the game and get the Skells within 5 hours with minimal effort. Apparently that's how the Big Name Games™ function these days, but that's not how XCX works. It sets you loose to move at your own pace and learn the systems through actual experience without utilizing washed-up hand-holding techniques present within the majority of the (PS4 and XB1) gaming market. In short, it takes time to learn XCX through-and-through, and it isn't "overly complicated" like those reviews suggest. They were just short on time due to deadlines and felt like bellyaching about it; as a player, you aren't bound to such constraints. Reconsider this.

And I'm sorry, but how does Fallout 4 present character growth? All of the trailers kept on advertising it as one of those "mindless shooters" you mentioned.

In my humble opinion, trailers are not enough to judge what a game is. You don't review a game by it's trailers, just like you don't judge a book by its cover. Though, I'm sure you've played both Fallout 4 and XCX enough that you can make comparisons between the two, right? I'm sorry, but hype isn't enough to make me disregard all the flaws pointed out in several reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom