• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

TPHD-Wii U Twilight Princess HD confirmed

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
EA make the games the fans want, they've done some bad things in the past with paid DLC that gives you the end of the game, but Nintendo are pulling this Amiibo scam, putting no effort into remaking beloved games, putting no effort into their new games, they are also releasing loads of paid DLC. Smash for instance costs well over £100 if you want all of it.

Speaking as one the idiots who spent money on both versions as well as several amiibo (3 to be precise) all of the paid DLC and the crap including amiibos would push you well over the £400 limit

DARK MASTER

The Emperor
Over saturation is not an issue, there is no evidence to suggest the release of remakes hinders the sales of new games or other remakes. People buy the remakes of the games they enjoy.
Whelp, my evidence for this is anecdotal, but I doubt there will be any serious investigation into this matter. Additionally, most of my friends who're also collectors aren't thrilled. This is all anecdotal, but I still feel strongly about it. Perhaps because I've bought every remake from Nintendo, as I've bought every other Zelda game?
Unfortunately alot of these remakes are poorly made as you said as in they are simple ports rather than remakes. Unless games are brought up to compete with modern standards then those who have never played them before are unlikely to want to buy them.
We basically have quasi-remakes, which Nintendo might argue preserves the original "spirit" but begs the question, why not simply put it to the VC?

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Whelp, my evidence for this is anecdotal, but I doubt there will be any serious investigation into this matter. Additionally, most of my friends who're also collectors aren't thrilled. This is all anecdotal, but I still feel strongly about it. Perhaps because I've bought every remake from Nintendo, as I've bought every other Zelda game?

We basically have quasi-remakes, which Nintendo might argue preserves the original "spirit" but begs the question, why not simply put it to the VC?

The answer to that is Nintendo's a business they listen with half an ear cocked to their audiences and occasionally give them something to be happy about and thus drive sales, they just want to make more cash

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
The thing is they could actually make more money if they did things differently. There is no logic to Nintendo's actions.
They are in their own little world it seems.

Anyway... yeah I'm not sure if the graphics will be improved but I hope they do. I also hope that there is some expansion to the feild in the areas it feels small. I'm hoping there is more side-content added in the feild so it will be fun to explore as well.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
The answer to that is Nintendo's a business they listen with half an ear cocked to their audiences and occasionally give them something to be happy about and thus drive sales, they just want to make more cash

That has always been the oddest thing about Nintendo...they act more like artists and less like a business. They'll happily throw money at a project that they (surely) know won't be very profitable or will be much less profitable than what their consumer actually wants, if they themselves have a personal preference to the less profitable project.

There's a basic rule for business when it comes to feedback...you listen to your consumer's wallets--particularly in sales. That's the best measure of your success in your endeavors and it's what keeps your business afloat. But Nintendo has an amazing knack for almost always ignoring their fans (for better or worse) and at this point, it's just really appalling to me.

In fact, I think that's been Nintendo's issue for awhile...they don't know how to act like a business. On one hand, I'd say that we've been treated to less scams and DLC ripoffs, but overall Nintendo has ignored the wants and needs of their fans and the gaming community, which has caused both parties to suffer.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
I have another complaint!
yipee...

This is for Zelda's 30th Anniversary according to Nintendo, so you'd think that if not just for the simple reason it's a beloved game and one of the most critically acclaimed, loved and best selling Zeldas, they'd at least put special effort in for a 30th anniversary project. This just tells us they don't give a **** about the fans, they just want to churn some quick and easy cash and milk us like cows, they are even putting amiibo compatibility in to make you spend more.

Microsoft put loads of effort into the halo 2 remake, even hiring a team to create movie standard CGI cutscenes, but Nintendo wont even make an effort with the graphics in TPHD. I realise now Nintendo are actually worse than EA
bro...
200px-Cover_SMA25A.jpg

don't even get me started on half-assed anniversaries

In fact, I think that's been Nintendo's issue for awhile...they don't know how to act like a business.
I would say making console games since before 1985 and not go bankrupt in 30+ years is a pretty good definition of business being done well. Nintendo do not know how to act like a traditional business. I think this fact is keeping them in business actually. Nintendo's quirkiness and willingness to take risks is what sets it apart from the competition and keeps the sales ticking over. Nintendo don't want record breaking profits. if they did, they'd act like Sony or EA and milk their IPs with garbage annual releases just for profits. Nintendo are ok with making just enough cash to stay profitable . . . well that's thair aim and anything else just goes into their risk taking ventures. Wii/WiiU as two examples of some of the risks Nintendo have taken recently.

DarkestLink

Except Nintendo isn't really doing that well in the gaming industry. Both MS and Sony (just the PS4) are doing way better, not just in profits, but in sales too. The Wii U is looking to be Nintendo's worst selling console ever.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Except Nintendo isn't really doing that well in the gaming industry. Both MS and Sony (just the PS4) are doing way better, not just in profits, but in sales too. The Wii U is looking to be Nintendo's worst selling console ever.

No because they make stupid decisions and continue to do so.

Nintendo tend to emphasis fun > sales though. Nintendo know they will not get PS4 like sales anytime for the WiiU games. I don't think Nintendo is even trying for that with the WiiU anymore. They are jsut staying afloat till the NX hits. Worst selling does not mean a flop if it keeps you in business.

DarkestLink

But they're in danger at this point. They have been doing poorly in consoles, and the handheld market might not last. If a game is fun, it will sell well. If it does poorly compared to other games in the series, less people will buy it. That simple.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Ummm... No they aren't....
Sony is on the brink of bankruptcy..
Sony never even made that much money on the sales of the PS4. For every console sold, they lost $60.
http://www.geek.com/games/sony-will...ily-recoup-it-in-games-ps-plus-sales-1571335/

Let me ask you this.
Would you rather have a console that sold 10 million units for $60 profit, or would you rather have a console that sold 20 million units for a net loss of $60?
Granted, PS4 used PS+ plus Game sales to help the cost of that, however, that isn't exactly the best business decision you can make.... Yet we are still looking at one more thing as well.

XBOne in reality, isn't doing that much better than the Wii U. The Xbox One has only sold around 13 million units, compared to Nintendo's 10(almost 11) million units.

We are also forgetting about 2 major things.
One of which, is software. Nintendo makes way more profit per game, due to the simple fact that Nintendo makes more first party games than either company. These titles also sell way more as well. For example, Bloodeborne, only sold about 2 million for the PS4. Mariokart 8 has almost sold 6 million copies. That is a huge difference that can make up for the gaps in profit between Sony and the Wii U.

The second, is you are forgetting a key aspect. How could nintendo "not really do well in the gaming industry", when they have sold a console that has moved over 50 million units, has a plethora of 3rd and 1st party software, and has sold more than the Wii U, XBOne, and PS4 combined. The 3DS is a major aspect of the game industry. And if you are looking for a complete flop, you need not look further than the PSVita. The PSVita has only sold 5 million units. Obviously, this is the PS brand's worst defeat, and the biggest failure this generation.

Nintendo is doing alright with console sales. It has made some profit. Enough for them to continue making consoles. PS4 did fantastic with console sales, theres no doubting that. However, Sony's handheld sales completely tanked. So much that there will be no Sony handheld anymore. While Nintendo's handheld sales, have done better than every single "next gen system" combined. If we are looking at the affects between Nintendo and the gaming industry, gentleman, we need to look at the complete picture.

DarkestLink

Except Sony makes it up in software sales...something else Nintendo is lacking due to a lack of third party support and a lack of console sales. I acknowledged that Sony itself is struggling, but you can't compare the companies themselves. Comparing Nintendo as a company, to Sony and MS is like comparing apples to oranges. Gaming is Nintendo's only real business at this time. Sony and MS do a lot more than gaming and, in Sony's case, it's costing them a lot of money.

Nintendo is doing well with the handheld market...granted they aren't really fighting competition, nevertheless, they are doing well...the problem is that the handheld market itself is in danger, with the iPad, cell phone, etc. It's dangerous to continue relying solely on their handhelds. They can't just ignore the fact that they are tanking in the console wars. And they're tanking because they won't listen to the gaming community. They will force their way no matter what, even if it appeals to nobody.

All Nintendo has to do is make a standard console that can compete, hardware wise, with Sony and MS. Then they could get the same third party games and hold an edge with their first party titles. They know they can do this, but they don't. They focus time and time on gimmicks. For the Wii, this worked because even though it didn't appeal to the gaming community, it did appeal to non-gamers and casuals. The Wii U doesn't do this, though. It sacrificed hardware and 3rd party titles for the touch screen, which made them lose out on the gaming community. And the touch screen doesn't appeal to non-gamers either, so they lost that.

We can't judge on the NX yet, but if we want to go by rumors, it sounds like they're trying to be "innovative" again, and it's not even going to be able to compete with the PS4 in terms of hardware. And that's Nintendo's problem. They don't want to be better, or efficient, or satisfactory, they want to be different....for better or worse. In this particular case, it's worse. You really can't make a significantly innovative console without sacrificing hardware for it...and third parties.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
All Nintendo has to do is make a standard console that can compete, hardware wise, with Sony and MS. Then they could get the same third party games and hold an edge with their first party titles. They know they can do this, but they don't. They focus time and time on gimmicks. For the Wii, this worked because even though it didn't appeal to the gaming community, it did appeal to non-gamers and casuals. The Wii U doesn't do this, though. It sacrificed hardware and 3rd party titles for the touch screen, which made them lose out on the gaming community. And the touch screen doesn't appeal to non-gamers either, so they lost that.

We can't judge on the NX yet, but if we want to go by rumors, it sounds like they're trying to be "innovative" again, and it's not even going to be able to compete with the PS4 in terms of hardware. And that's Nintendo's problem. They don't want to be better, or efficient, or satisfactory, they want to be different....for better or worse. In this particular case, it's worse. You really can't make a significantly innovative console without sacrificing hardware for it...and third parties.
"Gimmicks" are what has made Nintendo last as long as they have anyway though. It's just the fact that some of them are hit and miss.
The Famicon is the first videogame console that had a microphone in it. Like it or not, that has returned as an industry standard for years to come with "voice chat" and the like.
The Famicon was also the very first gaming system that used motion controls(Both with the Zapper, and the power glove). They were primitive, yes. But other companies decided to copy that with the Kinect, PSMove, ect.
The SNES was the very first home console to have 3D gaming with the revolutionary Super FX Chip. This became an industry standard for the years to come.
The N64, was the first system to have rumble control! That was such a foreign idea at the time that no one really got. Well, this revolutionary idea took off. Controller vibrations are an industry standard even today.
The N64 also used the worlds first analog stick. This was also an idea that was "completely out of left field". This later became industry standard.

Like it or not. Nintendo has always focused on "gimmicks", and that is how they lead the industry up until the Wii U era.
Also if we are going by rumors, the NX will be way more powerful than the PS4.
http://www.polygon.com/2015/10/16/9550113/wsj-nintendo-nx-console-handheld

Furthermore, patents also suggest new features such as having mouse scrollers in the R and L buttons, having mobile and console units for the same system, and an integrated system between both versions of NX, with PC, and Mobile support as well. I don't see how any of this is a bad thing.

DarkestLink

You're mistaking "add ons" and improvements for gimmicks. You can't compare the rumble pack to the Wii's motion controls or the Gamepad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom