• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

TPHD-Wii U Twilight Princess HD confirmed

I think maybe our initial disappointment might be short lived.

They showed us a working version of the game, gameplay with buttons mapped and functional etc.

Wwhd was turned around in 6months. With 4 months still to play with and the game seemingly being functional to play, I think that tphd will look miles better closer to its release.

It might be wishful thinking. I've not heard of the company actually doing the remake but 4months is surely enough time to spend on making it look gorgeous.

Hyrule warriors looked crap for quite some time until closer to its release. This might be the same thing.

Tphd's reveal might have been rushed too, or forced, after the data mining etc. Nintendo may have wanted to keep this for a January direct but were pushed to use unfinished footage... Maybe.

Either way. My opinion right now is that Nintendo have 4months just to concentrate on graphics, I think when we see tphd closer to release its going to look better than what we see right now.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
i REALLY hate to use this phrase but..
am i the only one who's actually ok with this? yeah compared to ww hd,this version seems pretty lazy (once i realized i was watching tp hd and not an hq gamecube tp,i started laughing), but at least the definitive version of the game will be made more accessible
and at least it's actually coming to the wii u in the form of an upgrade...even if it is barley noticeable

It is already accessible. Fans of Zelda can already play TP, but this was a chance for them to entice new buyers. TP was the Zelda that appealed to the mainstream because at the time it had good graphics and an art style that the majority like.
If they had given this game a proper overhaul it could have actually sold Wii U's. Despite not personally liking the toon style for Zelda, there is no denying WWHD looks pleasing to the eye and its release increased Wii U sales by 200%.
Why is TPHD going to do this? It doesn't actually look that enticing and people who are going to buy wii U's for the Zelda brand already have.
This why I am not even 'Ok' with this shoddy remake and no Zelda fan should be either.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I can't tell if this is madness or genius.

It's madness that they put so little effort into this even though it's the best selling Zelda title, whereas they completely overhauled Wind Waker, which was a base breaker.

It's genius in that--somehow--they seem to be succeeding. People are already seeming to throw themselves at the opportunity to spend $60 on a port.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
I can't tell if this is madness or genius.

It's madness that they put so little effort into this even though it's the best selling Zelda title, whereas they completely overhauled Wind Waker, which was a base breaker.

It's genius in that--somehow--they seem to be succeeding. People are already seeming to throw themselves at the opportunity to spend $60 on a port.
It's mainly the amiibo. People love throwing themselves at them, even though they're the Beanie Babies of the video game world.

Zorth

#Scoundrel
So disappointed in hearing these news, remaking a game that is from 2006 into HD version? Are they insane?
Even WWHD was really pointless, the games graphics are good as they are and making them HD added a tiny bit of replay value for people with a nostalgia level of over 9000. It's not even on the same level as a graphics mod for a game like Skyrim.

But none of the above is even an issue when you consider that developing these pointless graphical updates just stalls the next ORIGINAL game, which just like SS will never live up to the hype.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
So disappointed in hearing these news, remaking a game that is from 2006 into HD version? Are they insane?
Even WWHD was really pointless, the games graphics are good as they are and making them HD added a tiny bit of replay value for people with a nostalgia level of over 9000. It's not even on the same level as a graphics mod for a game like Skyrim.

But none of the above is even an issue when you consider that developing these pointless graphical updates just stalls the next ORIGINAL game, which just like SS will never live up to the hype.

Remakes dont stall the next game. This TPHD is being handled by an Australian company.
Aounuma is the only one responsible for any stalls in development of original titles, it is his lack of solid direction that means partway through development he decides to go and change a bunch of things.

Zorth

#Scoundrel
Remakes dont stall the next game. This TPHD is being handled by an Australian company.
Aounuma is the only one responsible for any stalls in development of original titles, it is his lack of solid direction that means partway through development he decides to go and change a bunch of things.

I apologize, I am not mad at Nintendo then, am mad at Aounuma. Hope he bangs his little toe against furniture

Reactions: Dio

DarkestLink

Making an HD version now isn't a bad idea...though I would have personally waited for the NX, the tech demo shows that they really COULD improve on this game's graphics. What's insane is showing us the Wii U's amazing capabilities...and then not using any of it. When Wind Waker HD came out, I thought it was kinda silly...I mean they put all this effort into overhauling the game's graphics and it didn't make much of a difference. They couldn't make a difference. Then I heard of TPHD and I thought "Oh, now they can do a graphical overhaul that actually makes a difference." And...they don't.

And maybe I'm in a minority, but even if I didn't hear Zelda U was going to be non-linear, I still wouldn't be excited over it. There's no information. There's nothing that leaves me asking for more. In fact, I find myself just not caring about the game, and I think that's because, as a consumer, I am subconsciously taking the lack of information to mean that there's not a product worth showing.

I had to let this one sit for a while before I gave off my opinion of it. I had mixed feelings from the start, but now that I've thought about it enough to make sure my thoughts aren't a knee-jerk reaction driven by emotion, I think I'm ready to lay out what I think about it.

I'm sure all of you know that there's a distinct difference between a "remaster" and a "remake". A true "remake" is when a vast majority of the game's graphical components are rebuilt from the ground up for brand new and often times superior hardware. Something like Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes is a full-blown remake, as you couldn't really take the original PS1 version of Metal Gear Solid and use that as the basis for a re-release. A "remaster", however, is when the native game is still used heavily, and is just fine-tuned to make it look a little bit better on superior hardware, or just make it to where that game can actually be played on said hardware. Something like Final Fantasy X HD is a remaster, because it uses the same models with higher resolution and things like that.

With this in mind, I can't truthfully say that Nintendo was ever deceptive or failed to deliver on some promise with this game, which is truthfully "Twilight Princess HD Remaster". They're doing exactly what Square Enix, Konami, and many others have done when they've moved their games to HD consoles, which is turn up the resolution, make it widescreen, and add a few other effects here and there. In a way that's fine, I guess. It's cool that they've decided to at least give us a sharper looking TP, and I truly am kind of excited for the amiibo since I've collected quite a few already. At face value it's hard to be mad about this, since, again, Nintendo never came out and said "Hey guys, be excited for the Twilight Princess HD remake!" before they showed us what we got yesterday.

With that being said, I'm still allowed to be disappointed, which I am. I fully admit that myself and the fanbase did themselves no favors by convincing ourselves that this was a full-blown remake before Nintendo ever said a word about it. Normally I'd put the blame on myself and say that I just set myself up for disappointment by expecting too much with zero information. But the fact of the matter is that every single other re-release we've gotten of 3D Zelda games have looked infinitely better than their original iterations except this one. It's really a shame too, because TP has the art style and potential to absolutely look like the best Zelda has ever put out to this point, putting SS, WWHD, and even Zelda U to shame if the proper work was put into it. This didn't happen, and Nintendo has opted for the "remaster" route that won't do that awesome art style justice with current gen, or even just HD, technology.

I will buy the bundle with the amiibo, and it'll be a good day when I do. I'll play the game, have an awesome time because it's an awesome game, and 100% it for old time's sake. But I'll always have that tiny "what if?" in the back of my mind while I'll playing it.

Last edited:

DarkestLink

@Ver-go-a-go-go

It's not that they didn't deliver onto their promise, it's that their decision just makes no logical sense at all. Everyone other game has been remade so far, even Wind Waker, despite having so little to gain from it. Twilight Princess makes the most sense to remake and yet they don't do it. What's most annoying is them showing off the Wii U's capabilities during the tech demo and then never going close to their full potential. It just feels lazy, especially when they're slapping a $60 price tag on it.

In a way, it's frustrating too because of how little sense it makes. Every other Zelda game got a remake, why not TP? Why put so much effort into redoing Wind Waker's graphics, but not TPs when there's so much more to gain from it? Not just us as consumers, but Nintendo as a business. We gain more from a graphic overhaul in TP because it's more noticeable and Nintendo gains a bigger profit than they do here because this would be a remake of their highest selling Zelda title. It's confusing to the point of frustrating.

Then of course, there's the tech demo. It is just a tech demo, not a promise, but as a consumer I find myself thinking "Well...put your money where your mouth is, Nintendo! If your console has these capabilities, show them!" And I thought this game was the perfect opportunity to really show off what the Wii U can do graphically. I didn't expect the tech demo graphics, though, since those were released very early on. I expected them to outdo the tech demo. We're nearing the end of the Wii U's lifespan and they've surely improved on what they can do at this point. I thought I was going to be completely blown away but what I would see in TPHD...and that's what's most disappointing.

Last edited:
@Ver-go-a-go-go

It's not that they didn't deliver onto their promise, it's that their decision just makes no logical sense at all. Everyone other game has been remade so far, even Wind Waker, despite having so little to gain from it. Twilight Princess makes the most sense to remake and yet they don't do it. What's most annoying is them showing off the Wii U's capabilities during the tech demo and then never going close to their full potential. It just feels lazy, especially when they're slapping a $60 price tag on it.

I mean, I'm not really contesting that. My entire fourth paragraph was about how disappointed I am that they opted for a remaster instead of a remake in light of every other preceding 3D Zelda game.

After reading these comments on this thread, I believe most of you have ruined Twilight Princess HD for yourselves by claiming the title to be a remake, when actually Nintendo never said it was in the first place. I think it was pretty clear from the Nintendo Direct that Twilight Princess HD is a HD Remaster, which isn't a bad thing in my opinion.

I only own the GameCube Version of Twilight Princess and it looks awful on a HD TV. With the announcement yesterday, I look forward to playing Twilight Princess again with a much clearer resolution. I'd rather it have enhanced visuals than a full on graphical overhaul, I think the graphics in Twilight Princess are pretty good anyway, especially for a GameCube title.

I think the last thing we want is a remake to visually overshadow an original title heading to the Wii U the same year, which is probably why Nintendo decided to go with a HD remaster. Zelda Wii U's visuals look really good so far, imagine if they showed off Twilight Princess HD in it's full on HD glory with all new graphics. I think that would of affected Zelda Wii U's sales quite a bit, and not in a good way.

Ver-go-a-go-go said:
With that being said, I'm still allowed to be disappointed, which I am. I fully admit that myself and the fanbase did themselves no favors by convincing ourselves that this was a full-blown remake before Nintendo ever said a word about it. Normally I'd put the blame on myself and say that I just set myself up for disappointment by expecting too much with zero information. But the fact of the matter is that every single other re-release we've gotten of 3D Zelda games have looked infinitely better than their original iterations except this one. It's really a shame too, because TP has the art style and potential to absolutely look like the best Zelda has ever put out to this point, putting SS, WWHD, and even Zelda U to shame if the proper work was put into it. This didn't happen, and Nintendo has opted for the "remaster" route that won't do that awesome art style justice with current gen, or even just HD, technology.

I think one of the reasons Nintendo may not have gone all out with Twilight Princess HD is exactly what you said - with the proper amount of effort, Twilight Princess HD may have looked better than Zelda Wii U. Nintendo doesn't want to undercut sales of its upcoming Zelda game by releasing a remake that's superior to the new game. I think we saw a bit of this with Ocarina of Time 3D releasing a few months before Skyward Sword. The remake ended up being higher rated than the new game. Skyward Sword definitely had its fair share of problems, but some people were probably made more aware of its flaws by playing a great remake of what many people consider one of the, if not the, best games of all time.

Another reason why Nintendo may have been lazy with TP HD is that they're banking on more people picking it up than other Zelda remakes (except maybe OoT 3D) due to it being the second best selling Zelda game after Ocarina of Time. We have no way of knowing if this is true, and probably never will, but it's certainly a possibility. Nintendo is going to invest as little into the Wii U as possible before moving on to the next generation. The system just isn't as profitable as the NX could be. In that sense, Twilight Princess HD is just another game to pad out Zelda's 30th Anniversary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom