• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda game with playable female?

Would you be happy to have a female option?

• Yay!

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Not really :/

Votes: 13 54.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
As I said in my previous post, I do agree with idea of Link being an iconic character and that he should be left as is. Even if it's technically a different person, reincarnation, whatever, you gotta get deep into the lore for that. It's still essentially the same character. He means something. He should not be messed with or altered.
That being said, I still think a female option would be interesting and fun. BUT.... done in a way such as how I described it before, through a second protagonist that joins Link's adventure that you can switch direct control to. Given how Zelda is not an RPG, it's the best way to handle it. The only time it is ever right to change the nature of the character is in a complete reboot (like in Tomb Raider). And with Zelda I'm not sure a reboot ever really works. The games always feel like they're in their own universe anyway. Each Hyrule looks little to nothing like the next. Events are either loosely connected at best or connected through time travel which makes reboots confusing.

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
As I said in my previous post, I do agree with idea of Link being an iconic character and that he should be left as is. Even if it's technically a different person, reincarnation, whatever, you gotta get deep into the lore for that. It's still essentially the same character. He means something. He should not be messed with or altered.
That being said, I still think a female option would be interesting and fun. BUT.... done in a way such as how I described it before, through a second protagonist that joins Link's adventure that you can switch direct control to. Given how Zelda is not an RPG, it's the best way to handle it. The only time it is ever right to change the nature of the character is in a complete reboot (like in Tomb Raider). And with Zelda I'm not sure a reboot ever really works. The games always feel like they're in their own universe anyway. Each Hyrule looks little to nothing like the next. Events are either loosely connected at best or connected through time travel which makes reboots confusing.

For the longest time I've liked the story idea of a female incarnation of Link due to the sort of story that could be built around her. A male Link is what we're expecting, very typical. But I think an interesting story can be spun around a female incantation that couldn't be the same as a male - the female would not only have to overcome the trials of being a hero, or child hero (my favorite Links were the children) but also being female in a world that has only known the male Link to be the hero. Like I said in my previous post, I think that Link's gender should be irrelevant. What he or she does and the story around him or her, the puzzles, the dungeons, are what should matter.

I understand that people are afraid that Nintendo will fall into the trap of making a female Link or giving Link a gender option at the start of the game "just because", and I agree that the wrong story or purpose can really ruin the idea of a female Link, but I think there are a lot of opportunities for a female Link to shine, and for the Zelda franchise to start expanding on their hero repertoire as long as they make a good story surrounding the character.

ZeldafreakCJM

Hey there, it's me.
Look on the bright side! You could spend the game lookin' at Link's sexy arse and not feel ashamed! ^_^
I'm Bi, either way I wouldn't look at anything as I wouldn't buy a zelda game where Link is changed, he's a blond, blue eyed, whire hylian boy, in a green tunic, anything else wouldn't be/isn't link, aol link doesn't count as he's the same incarnation from TLoZ who's blond at least ambiguously, likewise link is blond in alttp not pink haired, and no link being multiple people doesn't change my opinion, I wouldn't want a female Solid Snake or a female Donkey Kong, even though both characters are technically multiple.

And no, god no, the idea of making a fem Link fight against the odds because she's a girl only makes the idea worse, as far as we know there's no differences in how the sexes are viewed in hyrule, and I want it to stay that way, the last thing I want is for mt favorite game character to ve changed and then have the game preach feminism to me.

I'm Bi, either way I wouldn't look at anything as I wouldn't buy a zelda game where Link is changed, he's a blond, blue eyed, whire hylian boy, in a green tunic, anything else wouldn't be/isn't link, aol link doesn't count as he's the same incarnation from TLoZ who's blond at least ambiguously, likewise link is blond in alttp not pink haired, and no link being multiple people doesn't change my opinion, I wouldn't want a female Solid Snake or a female Donkey Kong, even though both characters are technically multiple.

And no, god no, the idea of making a fem Link fight against the odds because she's a girl only makes the idea worse, as far as we know there's no differences in how the sexes are viewed in hyrule, and I want it to stay that way, the last thing I want is for mt favorite game character to ve changed and then have the game preach feminism to me.
Was just a joke mate, we've already fought this one out, remember? I'm just playin' wit' ya.

Truffles

Zelda is the Dark Souls of Zelda
No female Link. That's just a big no-no. I want to step into a riveting spin off of Zelda being a kick ass Sheikah! Or even just a kick ass playable Zelda. But why are some people so obnoxiously hell bent on changing an iconic character under a false sense of progression? Especially when there is Zelda, Impa and others? Batman and Batgirl are there own separate characters. Mario and Peach are there own separate characters. Why can't it be Link and Zelda or Link and Sheik ? Why does it hafta be Link and Linka? That's lazy, dumb and a slap to the face.
I think I know the answer to your question. Why is it Link, I mean, whose gender some people are curious about switching, and not other characters like Mario, Peach (and Lara Croft and Snake, etc). I think it's because Link is set up as much more of a conduit for the player. Like Miyamoto said, the clue's in the name. ;) His personality is, after all, very unobtrusive, and I would say not as locked into position as some of those other characters by origins, relationships or even homeworld. And people spend sooo many hours as him...
...Anyway, yeah. I think that's why. :)

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
Not just no. Hell no. Link is male, the end.

I'm not insulting the thread creator, in any way, but I think this is a really stupid conversation to even be having. Why are we trying to hard to change Link into a woman?

Why aren't we talking about making Samus into a man? Because it's asinine and ridiculous. Right? The same thing here. Link is male, has always been, and we should leave him as is. There's no reason at all to change him. There is no gameplay rationale that you can provide as to why we should have Link be female. Thus, Link should remain male. If the only reason is to appease some political subculture, then that's not a good reason.

Let's be over and done with this conversation.

I think I know the answer to your question. Why is it Link, I mean, whose gender some people are curious about switching, and not other characters like Mario, Peach (and Lara Croft and Snake, etc). I think it's because Link is set up as much more of a conduit for the player. Like Miyamoto said, the clue's in the name. ;) His personality is, after all, very unobtrusive, and I would say not as locked into position as some of those other characters by origins, relationships or even homeworld. And people spend sooo many hours as him...
...Anyway, yeah. I think that's why. :)

Link is also a real name. And just because he's the players Link to the game, doesn't mean he needs to be a girl. Again I ask YOU, why can't we have a playable Princess Zelda? She's long overdue for her own game.

Not just no. Hell no. Link is male, the end.

I'm not insulting the thread creator, in any way, but I think this is a really stupid conversation to even be having. Why are we trying to hard to change Link into a woman?

Why aren't we talking about making Samus into a man? Because it's asinine and ridiculous. Right? The same thing here. Link is male, has always been, and we should leave him as is. There's no reason at all to change him. There is no gameplay rationale that you can provide as to why we should have Link be female. Thus, Link should remain male. If the only reason is to appease some political subculture, then that's not a good reason.

Let's be over and done with this conversation.
disclaimer: I am neither for nor against making a girl Link

Making Samus a man and making Link a woman are completely different. Samus is the exact same person in every single Metroid game. In every non-direct sequel, Link is a completely different person. There's no way those are equivalent. There's no "remaining" male. They're simply not the same character.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
disclaimer: I am neither for nor against making a girl Link

Making Samus a man and making Link a woman are completely different. Samus is the exact same person in every single Metroid game. In every non-direct sequel, Link is a completely different person. There's no way those are equivalent. There's no "remaining" male. They're simply not the same character.

It is the same. Just because the lore in one universe is different than in another doesn't change the facts. We have a male protagonist vs a female protagonist. This isn't Elder Scrolls or some MMO, where you are literally playing as an avatar of yourself. This is a game with an established world, lore and within this established universe, Link is male.

It's exactly the same in Metroid. There is an established universe. Within this universe is a character named Samus. She is female. She should remain female, because she is a main ingredient in the world and universe of the series. Much like Link is an established entity in The Legend of Zelda universe.

If your argument is that Link is never the same Link (i.e., he is never the same actual individual), I don't see how that makes a difference at all. Zelda is never the "same Zelda" ... should we have a Prince Zelda? Ganondorf is never the "same Ganondorf" ... should we have a Ganonette? Should we have an Impo? How about a Tingla?

Link is male. His essence is passed down from male to male. That's an established element in the series. Making Link female would be the equivalent of making Samus male in that you would be changing an essential established element of the series.

Someone said that it's high time Zelda gets to be the main character of a game. That is different, and that is something I'm all for. I would love to play a game with Zelda as the main playable character. And I would 100% want her to stay female. Because Zelda is a female in the series. I don't want Prince Zelda any more than I want Linkette.

Truffles

Zelda is the Dark Souls of Zelda
Link is also a real name. And just because he's the players Link to the game, doesn't mean he needs to be a girl. Again I ask YOU, why can't we have a playable Princess Zelda? She's long overdue for her own game.
Me? :) Okay. Yeah, I think we should have a playable Princess!

Moonstone

Actually there are already a few games where you play as Zelda. Here's the wiki : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-i_games_from_The_Legend_of_Zelda_series

It is the same. Just because the lore in one universe is different than in another doesn't change the facts. We have a male protagonist vs a female protagonist. This isn't Elder Scrolls or some MMO, where you are literally playing as an avatar of yourself. This is a game with an established world, lore and within this established universe, Link is male.

It's exactly the same in Metroid. There is an established universe. Within this universe is a character named Samus. She is female. She should remain female, because she is a main ingredient in the world and universe of the series. Much like Link is an established entity in The Legend of Zelda universe.

If your argument is that Link is never the same Link (i.e., he is never the same actual individual), I don't see how that makes a difference at all. Zelda is never the "same Zelda" ... should we have a Prince Zelda? Ganondorf is never the "same Ganondorf" ... should we have a Ganonette? Should we have an Impo? How about a Tingla?

They are very different. Samus is one person, and would require a sex change to become male. Link (and pretty much everyone else in the Zelda series) is a different person in almost every one of the games, and, unless you can find a source for me, there is nothing that officially states that Link has to be male. Just because he always has been up to this point, doesn't mean he always will or always should be incarnated as a male. I also wouldn't have any problem with any of the other characters in the series being the opposite sex. I would hope Nintendo wouldn't do something like a game that is entirely gender-swapped, but as long as the story and puzzles are good and make sense, then I would still play and probably even enjoy it, because as I said before - what should matter is the story and gameplay, not what's in the characters' pants.

ZeldafreakCJM

Hey there, it's me.
^Why shouldn't what the character is or isn't matter to peoples? It's their experience with the game, and everything or anything can effect that experience.

Likewise, I fail to see the argument of Link being multiple as holding any water, sure there's nothing that states Link has to be a boy, but there was nothing stating that Ganondorf had to be reincarnated as a male gerudo, yet he was, just like every incarnation of the characters have stayed the same roughly, there's no outright written rule, but there's plenty to suggest there should be.

Similarly, keeping in mind how similar the characters stay, the difference between Samus and Link is litterally just that one is multiple within the lore while the other isn't, while both are designed the same as singular characters, and that's all assuming you consider the games to connect, as none of them except direct sequels really try their hardest to connect, making the games singular experience where the main characters show up as they're expected to.

Moonstone

^Why shouldn't what the character is or isn't matter to peoples? It's their experience with the game, and everything or anything can effect that experience.

As a fellow consumer of the series, it matters to me (and many others), because some of us would love to see a female Link, and IMO, The Legend of Zelda is one of the few classic series where a female lead would make sense, due to the characters being technically different in most of the games.

Likewise, I fail to see the argument of Link being multiple as holding any water, sure there's nothing that states Link has to be a boy, but there was nothing stating that Ganondorf had to be reincarnated as a male gerudo, yet he was, just like every incarnation of the characters have stayed the same roughly, there's no outright written rule, but there's plenty to suggest there should be.

Ganondorf (the person) is one of the few characters in the series that might actually be the same character each time. He is only in a handful of the games when compared to Zelda and especially Link, and he was treated as being some ancient in WW (like the King of Hyrule/King of Red Lions) and in Twilight Princess he was released from the Twilight Realm after being imprisoned there. If we're talking about the beast he becomes (Ganon) that creature is what reincarnates in each game, and if it were to do so as a female instead, I would actually be pleased. One of my favorite Zelda villains was Veran from Oracle of Ages, and I really enjoy when women can be the big bad end boss.

Similarly, keeping in mind how similar the characters stay, the difference between Samus and Link is litterally just that one is multiple within the lore while the other isn't, while both are designed the same as singular characters, and that's all assuming you consider the games to connect, as none of them except direct sequels really try their hardest to connect, making the games singular experience where the main characters show up as they're expected to.

I agree with you that I wouldn't want a male Samus, because as I said before that would require actually giving her a sex change. That being said, I don't play much of that series. If Samus the Bounty Hunter is a different woman in each of the games, I don't see how they couldn't make it fit into the story that Samus is, at least once, a male. Actually, I think if that is true, a classic Metroid game where you don't see the character's face until the very end only to have the big reveal showing the hero to be male would be pretty funny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom