• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Official ZD Mario Maker Level Sharing Thread!

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
With the eve of Mario Maker upon us, I think this thread is necessary. So here, we can post, critique, and play levels within our own community
You guys should expect a fair few levels from me, as I have many planned out already ;)
So go ahead, post your codes down below, and let us work together as a community to make the best levels we can!

I had this idea about making a post about sharing levels a while ago.
http://zeldadungeon.net/forum/threa...ls-after-the-11th-or-12th-of-september.53870/

I was allowed to call first dibs on the topic or say ok to someone else doing it. Personally I don't care who makes the topic as long as someone does so this topic can stay. Thanks for making the topic.

I have quite a few ideas for levels written down. When I get the game later today I'll try to make them. Also I would watch the Playtonic plays SMM video. He talks there a lot about good level design. And the elements that make it up. I literally took notes from what he said. Nothing earthshattering there, all common sense but a lot of people fail to do these things in their levels. One of my ideas for a level can't follow these rules as it's special and I've not seen anyone else try the idea yet. The other ideas though can and will follow the proper way to design a stage.

Last edited:

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Here is my very first uploaded level. Not the best I can do, I was merely experiementing with how crazy this engine can get, and trying to compliment that with semi neat design.
Course ID is 5ADF-0000-0019-C2C9
It is named, "Flyin' High, Lakitus In The Sky
Unfortunately... Despite being there for a couple of hours, no one has even played it. So you guys should give it a try! Give me some feedback. I have some huge, levels in the works now, and they will take some time.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
I have 2 levels for you guys to play!
The first of which, I know it isn't a good level at all. It is mostly satire. I made this level to show a friend at a party this even, his name is Kevin. Which is of course the inspiration for the level.
Course I.D.: A6A6-000-0020-9CB2

The second level, I am way more proud of, as it has been meticulously designed, and my first of the large levels.
The levels name is Bowsers castle, and it is really 2 separate levels depending on if you find a secret in the beginning of the stage.
Course I.D. 56BE-0000-0022-1C23

My first level:

Walls are made for jumping
7AE9-0000-002E-B6DB

I have never played a NSMB game before Super Mario Maker. I thought "hey there might be others like me who have have not played NSMB". So I made this level. It is to teach others how to wall jump. Surprisingly it doesn't have that high a competion rate. I did tweak the level to make is (what I thought was easy enough) with mushrooms at the right spots. Also I tried to use Playtonic's level greation strategy too.

• No Danger - Showing you the skill needed to beat the stage and getting the player to do it. So the player can get it downpat without any danger involved.
  • Perceived Danger - Showing the player what to look out for and what the danger is but not letting them die.
  • Actual Danger - This is when you use the skills learned above (no danger area) to get past dangers you have already seen on the level (perceived danger). Only difference is now the dangers are real and are a threat.

This level is more fun and informational (ie teaching the player about wall jumping) than it is hard. I do prefer to make fun stages over plain hard stages.

@Lozjam I will try your stages tonight and let you know what I think of them.
Also did you find the secret video code in the Super Mario Maker Art book? It is in the last page next to Miyamoto's signature. Miyamoto is in this video.

There is a second secret code. 0913. Not sure if that one is in the art book or not. If it is can you tell me. This video is of Koji Kondo thanking us for loving his music in the only way he knows how by playing a piece of music for us.

Secondly did you know if you press down + A + B at the same time as a stage is loading it will change the look to an old CRT minitor and you will play the stage in this mode. You'll see what I mean when you do it. Also if the stage fails to load and reverts back to the map or any other screen this CRT mode will be there till you enter another stage and change it back during the loading screen. You can move back and forth between the two screen modes, normal and CRT by pressing down + A + B at the same time anytime you want (during the loading screen of a stage).

Last edited:

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
@the8thark
You may want to repost that level code. It is not working.
Thank you for playing my levels, and for starring them. If you follow me, there is more to come.

Thank you for the comment on my Bowser Level, that took a lot of planning and execution to get everything to work. Did you go through both parts for the level?

I agree with Flyin' High, Lakitu's in the sky. It is a little bit too much, but I corrected that in my later levels.

I realize its way easier for Mario's Maritime Adventure without the clown car. I just put it as an option for some harder difficulty. I still think the level is pretty fun either way.

I also use perceived danger quite a bit in my levels, as I really do enjoy it, and I think players do as well.

I actually have 3 out right now.
Big Boo's Mystery Mansion
C0A9-0000-0023-DBE6
It is a level that uses clues within the game to help find hidden blocks and secrets to pass through the level. It is a pretty hard level, but I think it is pretty reasonably fair.

Then there is Yoshi's New Story.
B050-0000-0024-7931
This is quite an easier level revolving Yoshi. Using his jumps, his way of using spikes. I think it is pretty fun.

Mario's Marine Adventure
16C0-0000-0025-DF9C
An auto-scrolling Mario level that kind of changes things up optionally with a Koopa Clown Car.

@Lozjam I fixed up the level and reput up the new level code in my post. Try it again it should work.

I am following you in game so I can see all your levels. You have some good ones there. I commented on some in game.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
@Lozjam I fixed up the level and reput up the new level code in my post. Try it again it should work.

I am following you in game so I can see all your levels. You have some good ones there. I commented on some in game.
Alright, so I thought that level was pretty good, and it was also fair. Hoever, I do have one issue with that. That final rollercoaster you had changed the pace too much. Especially since you never taught the player to jump with those rollercoasters at first, and the fact that wall jumping makes for slow paced levels. One other criticism is that your level is a bit boring visually. I think you should mix it up with the blocks that you used in order to make the level look more interesting. You can find plenty of examples of that within my levels.
some pile of puke i threw together

ec72-0000-0030-bcf9
I thought the level was alright. However, it is easily broken once you jump on a Lakitu and steal its cloud. I do think it is a little bit too much though regarding enemy placement.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
too much thought? Lol. I'll save the step of one small adjustment next time.

I am rather annoyed by the lakitu cloud thing. It makes me not want to use them at all

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
too much thought? Lol. I'll save the step of one small adjustment next time.

I am rather annoyed by the lakitu cloud thing. It makes me not want to use them at all
You misread, I said "Too much though". As in too many enemies and objects regarding overall difficulty.
It's alright if you have a ton of enemies, as long as you do it a more orderly fashion. The best way to put it is to make it less random, and give players more of a reason as to why they did die.

Regarding Lakitu's cloud, merely make the lakitus too high, or the platforms too low for Mario to jump on them. Alternatively, you can use the sawblades to be right on top of the layer that the lakitu's are on. So that will prevent the player from getting them.

@Lozjam The 2nd roller coaster did change things up a little too much. If I was to re-do the level I would just remove it.

The level is boring visually I know. But that is the point. It exists to teach a skill and not be flashy etc etc. I designed it to be more educational about walk jumping. Anyway I will edit it later maybe.

Thanks for your advice later on I will use it to improve the level.

I have a second level up now.

WarioWare Inc. Microgames
AC60-0000-0032-BE62

This level was an idea I had for a while now. The whole idea of the level is to pass each micro challenge before the time runs out. The only enemy here is the timer.

If you want to have a go at the level, please do tell if I set the time for it right. I want it to be rush rush just like the WarioWare games were. But also not too small a time limit that no one can finish the stage.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
I just saw this thread. I'll definitely be giving your creations a try. I'll post some of mine here too, though mine are still very simplistic. Additionally, I started a new little series where I play my friends' levels.

Some of my deaths are ridiculous. My friend made some really brutal levels. Borderline unfair, I would say. Or maybe I just suck.

Here's the vid. Hope you like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom