• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Which game genres do you not like?

There are many video game genres but we can't possibly love them all. So which ones do you not like or just can't get into?

For me that is

• Racing games
  • First Person Shooters
Sure I liked Metroid Prime and the Marathon Trilogy but past that I really can't get into FPS games at all. Same deal with racing games. Sure the Mario Karts (and others) are good games but I just don't find that much fun in them.

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
JRPGs
Tried them, no like them.

I also have a severe lack of caring for wrestling/boxing/mma and sports games, but I don't not like them. I'll still play with friends but just don't care for it at all.

SavageWizzrobe

Eating Link since 1987
For me, it's definitely the sports genre, and to a slightly lesser extent the first-person shooter genre.

I'm not a fan of sports to begin with, so the sports genre has almost no appeal to me whatsoever. Plus, the genre just feels quite recycled and is very in-the-box for the most part. Basing a video game off of a real-life sport doesn't exactly leave much room for creativity considering you have to adhere to the rules of the sport.

The FPS genre, on the other hand, has become quite stale in recent years. It was once a genre that I somewhat liked, but now that FPS games are mass-produced thanks in part to the Call of Duty franchise, I have trouble telling one FPS from another. There are very few FPS games that I actually like, and those that I do are more outside the CoD box: the Metroid Prime games (technically not true FPS, but very well-made), Goldeneye (N64), and Halo to some extent (I've only played the multiplayer, but I enjoyed it compared to CoD). That's not a lot of games.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
For me, it's definitely the sports genre, and to a slightly lesser extent the first-person shooter genre.

I'm not a fan of sports to begin with, so the sports genre has almost no appeal to me whatsoever. Plus, the genre just feels quite recycled and is very in-the-box for the most part. Basing a video game off of a real-life sport doesn't exactly leave much room for creativity considering you have to adhere to the rules of the sport.

The FPS genre, on the other hand, has become quite stale in recent years. It was once a genre that I somewhat liked, but now that FPS games are mass-produced thanks in part to the Call of Duty franchise, I have trouble telling one FPS from another. There are very few FPS games that I actually like, and those that I do are more outside the CoD box: the Metroid Prime games (technically not true FPS, but very well-made), Goldeneye (N64), and Halo to some extent (I've only played the multiplayer, but I enjoyed it compared to CoD). That's not a lot of games.
Exactly. All of this ^^

The only sports games that can actually be good are Mario sports game(Like Mario Strikers), or racing games(Like F-Zero).

FPS games, for the most part, are bland, cash driven, and milked to death due to the whole COD fatigue. That is actually why I gave up on Playstation after the PS3. PC is very much better in all regards due to its variety.
They are making their amends though.... FFXV and KH3 looks decent.....

Last generation, on all fronts, is the generation of casuals. The family friendly type casuals where grandma plays on the "tele" with Nintendo, and then dudebro casuals who only play sports games and CoD with Microsoft and Sony..........
I am glad that they are getting back to core gamers with all of the companies.....

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Sports games. If I had any desire to play sports I would go out and do it. I tend to play games to go to another world or do things I cant do in real life. I suppose I could go out and gun some people down and steal cars but the consequences aren't worth it so I play GTA so I can fulfill those desires without going to prison.

JetPunx-R

I can smell you
Sport gennre due to how repetitive gameplay and "interactive" NPC/crowds which is BS and no way makes the gameplay no difference compared to the previous game(s).

FPS in terms of Multiplier. I enjoy some of the FPS games like F.E.A.R. and Bioshock, but knowing that when I go to an online FPS like CoD and Battlefield where all you see people cheating, "camping", annoying little runts screaming over the mic on who's mom they want fondle with is just annoying, frustrating and ear grading.

Dan

Also not a fan of Sports games as for the most part there purpose is to appeal to a sport fan that wishes to immerse in a sport fantasy of running teams or playing in a sports team. A realistic Football game won't appeal to me, I've mentioned a few times on this board that Mario Football and other such sports games not set in the realms of reality are normally pretty enjoyably for me if they have a wacky theme to them.

Simulation racing games, again it would appear their purpose is to appeal more towards car junkies. The racing simulations I've played have been far too dull and linear compared to that of an arcade racer like Mario kart etc.

I didn't used to be a fan of FPS games myself, but as I grew up I soon learned to enjoy them, this may be for a couple reasons. Growing up World War 2 was the big theme in many shooters, especially Medal of Honor, and at the time that setting bored me. Secondly I was stuck on a console and developers were still building the foundation when it came to a good control scheme for a controller based FPS game. As time went on I discovered FPS games weren't limited to World War 2 and could be quite expansive. Team Fortress 2 is quite unique for an FPS, and I learned the PC had quite a few Sci-Fi FPS games, such as the crazy fast paced Unreal series.

I suspect there's a game in every genre that people can enjoy.

Sheik

:the:
The only game genre I can say I actively dislike is the dungeon crawler genre, and still, I can only think of two game series in that genre off the top of my head (Etrian Oddysey and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon). I'm at least slightly fond of every other genre.

Sports games because I don't like sports.

I see a lot of the younger generations don't really like FPS games, I just hope that the stereotypical Call of Duty fan isn't preventing you from giving FPS games a chance. There are some really great FPS games out there, but I do think that for the most part FPS games peaked in the 90's.

The genre is crowded with a bunch of decent games but very few spectacular ones anymore. I think the last great FPS game was MAG on PS3, there was nothing quite like that game (256 player team oriented objective game), but since call of duty is the first thing that comes to peoples minds the genre would seem simplistic.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I don't like sports games because I don't like sports. I also don't like racing games because it just gets dull after a while. Platformers are kinda "meh" to me but I don't hate them. I don't like FPS games because I don't like guns and I don't like the first-person perspective for games.

The genre I can't stand the most is anything turn-based because it's so dull for me and I prefer dynamic action. The strategy part doesn't appeal to me because I'd rather there be constant action while I figure out a strategy. Whenever I play something turn-based it always gets to a point where I don't even think about the moves I'm going to use, and I just fly through the battle. That's no fun. Pokemon is probably the only exception for turn-based games.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
I don't like puzzles games, due to their somewhat boring and repetitive nature. I'd rather be solving puzzles within an epic like OoT.

Shoot em ups- not that easy to play with others and don't have the story of RPGs or the fun of platformers for me.

Non-nintnedo racers. Too repetitive and dependent on difficult to use mechanics. Mario Kart is more about fun with friends and challenging yourself in extremely fun enviroments. The aestetics and ability to play with friends win it. F-zero used to be in this category, but it won me over with its mind-bendingly fun gravity warping courses and that desperate need to ration your energy bar. Your boost is also your health, and theres so much strategy in that!

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
Rhythm games and turn based RPG's. I vast majority of games in these two genre's are not very good at all.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I don't really like RPGs, I've only played one in my life so far:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lord_of_the_Rings:_The_Third_Age
I hated it, I didn't like the concept of getting trapped into battle phases that I had to choose attacks from a list. The game was so linear, and overall I didn't even like it's plot. I only beat three quaters of the game but eventually just gave up on it. I figured that if all RPGs are similar than I probably didn't like the entire genre in general. I never played a RPG since.

Currently @TheRizardon and @Spirit have been trying to show more decent RPGs since I've never given the genre a chance, I took my opinion of one game and applied it to all RPGs. I will give the Genre one last chance.

I don't really like RPGs, I've only played one in my life so far:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lord_of_the_Rings:_The_Third_Age
I hated it, I didn't like the concept of getting trapped into battle phases that I had to choose attacks from a list. The game was so linear, and overall I didn't even like it's plot. I only beat three quaters of the game but eventually just gave up on it. I figured that if all RPGs are similar than I probably didn't like the entire genre in general. I never played a RPG since.

Currently @TheRizardon and @Spirit have been trying to show more decent RPGs since I've never given the genre a chance, I took my opinion of one game and applied it to all RPGs. I will give the Genre one last chance.
I think you need to differentiate turn based RPGs and action RPGs. Both are totally different things. I'm not a fan of the turn based ones for the most part but I do like quite a few action oriented ones. Most of the RNGs I have played don't have this Phase style combat so I think you should give the genre another go and see if you like it or not.

Djinn

and Tonic
RTS games, or really any strategy type game. I hate having to wait around, build stuff, make money, build more stuff, hire more people, and arm up for the first hour before I actually get to play the game and go ill things. It drives me crazy. So much wasting time and effort on doing side things first before I do game stuff. I just want to go kill the enemy and take over lands etc. Not build factories and dig mines, make housing and clothe troops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom