• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Aounuma should be fired

Wow. I'll be the first to say I don't agree with everything Aonuma has done. But calling for him being fired is extreme. Even the games people are calling "uninspired" in here were greatly enjoyable and fun.

It's also obvious to me that there might already be some fresh meat in the Zelda projects right now. Otherwise, I doubt we'd ever have anything like Hyrule Warriors. Aonuma has always struck me as being very protective of his vision for the series, but Nintendo seems to finally be...how do I put this...lightening up?

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Wow. I'll be the first to say I don't agree with everything Aonuma has done. But calling for him being fired is extreme. Even the games people are calling "uninspired" in here were greatly enjoyable and fun.

It's also obvious to me that there might already be some fresh meat in the Zelda projects right now. Otherwise, I doubt we'd ever have anything like Hyrule Warriors. Aonuma has always struck me as being very protective of his vision for the series, but Nintendo seems to finally be...how do I put this...lightening up?
I did not mean uninspired in a bad way, just saying that Aonuma was probably tired on working on the series. That is why he is taking his time with Zelda U.

I LOVE TP and SS, but those are 2 Zelda games that could have been way better than they were. This is due to the franchise fatigue. That is actually why Skyward Sword took such a long time to make. Aonuma wasn't sure where to go with the series... Until he saw the fencing minigame in Wii Sports Resort. Of which he added motion controls to the game and had a "vision".

With Zelda Wii U, and new hardware, Aonuma realized that fans want a huge world to explore, a vision of which he himself is excited for. Aonuma is looking to probably make Zelda Wii U his last game. One last game to stand the test of time, and perhaps even be a "perfect game" he strives for. All Aonuma had was a little misstep due to the casual market of the Wii players(With Skyward Sword), and listening too much to hardcore fans(With Twilight Princess). ALBW was a great first step in between. Tri Force Heroes looks pretty promising. Then there is Zelda Wii U.... It is still very hard to have this discussion because we know so little about the game, but hopefully, it will truly be "The Ultimate Zelda experience". Aonuma hopes to make fans really really happy, with one last incredible game, before he retires.

I'd say that's a pretty good thing, seeing that will leave an incredible legacy for whoever is next in line for the Zelda series.

The problem is not any one person, and as pointed out in other posts, his involvement hasn't been very significant since WW, but Nintendo's insistence on using extremely outdated hardware and using gimmicks for everything. Which goes back for as long as they've been involved in video games (e.g., the power glove). They've always been big on gimmicks, but after the Wii they focused on them full time and just making all games vehicles to support their gimmicks on top of the already asinine refusal to embrace modern or even 10 year old hardware. It's always been a problem with Nintendo and the Zelda series especially has severely suffered from this.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
The problem is not any one person, and as pointed out in other posts, his involvement hasn't been very significant since WW, but Nintendo's insistence on using extremely outdated hardware and using gimmicks for everything. Which goes back for as long as they've been involved in video games (e.g., the power glove). They've always been big on gimmicks, but after the Wii they focused on them full time and just making all games vehicles to support their gimmicks on top of the already asinine refusal to embrace modern or even 10 year old hardware. It's always been a problem with Nintendo and the Zelda series especially has severely suffered from this.
I've been disappointed with their home consoles since probably the Gamecube, although I only had a small handful of good games for that. It bothers me because they've always done handhelds so well, I love their handhelds and they seem to put a lot of work into them and the 1st party games for them. But when it comes to their home consoles it's just "meh, people will eat that **** up anyway", and when they don't, they are somehow surprised. How can you release a home console with that kind of **** as the release and announced titles. Seriously

I dont think the problem is with Aonuma, i think its more with Miyamoto and the fact he can't leave Aonuma alone to make the games he wants to make.

I'm pretty sure Aonuma was refusing to do an ALttP remake/sequel for years at Shigsy's request but eventually caved. Ever since OoT Shigsy has been begging Aonuma to make a game where Link can raise the sword above his head, which ended up a huge part of SS. And lets not forget about Shigsy completely refusing ideas put forward for HW in favor of his own.

There are more stories besides these where Shigsy has gotten in the way of Aonuma and i reckon that he is a big reason why home console Zelda games take so long. Shigsy just doesn't like people playing with his toys.

I think if Aonuma was to be left alone completely to make a Zelda game then i reckon he'd deliver.

As for him not having much of a clear idea on the game's lore, Zelda is like Doctor Who, it makes it up as it goes along and can retcon whatever it wants whenever it wants. Aonuma isn't the only one to not have a clue on Zelda either. The director of Tri Force Heroes seems to know so little about Zelda that he doesn't even know if its going to go in the timeline at all...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom