• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Which Book Are You Currently Reading?

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
"Visions: How Science will Revolutionize the 21st Century", by Michio Kaku. It's Michio's first book on futurism, taking advances in computing, AI, biomedicine, nanotechnology, transportation, energy, and much more that are just starting to bloom and discussing how these things will have dramatic implications for how we live in the future.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
On the third stage of my Tolkein marathon and current reading Unfinished Tales.

Wasn't sure why to think about the book at the start, I loved the opening tale of Tuor (a character I really liked from The Silmarillion) and his coming to Gondolin, but the abrupt end and no conclusion left me with a slightly sour taste. Though after reading the history of Galadriel and Celeborn, I've thought more about what I'm actually reading and that it is literally "Unfinished Tales". Small narratives, explanations, notes, corrections, contradictions etc. Some of it gets confusing, but I like delving into the mind of Tolkein and how Arda and everything within it came to be. Kind of tempting me to buy the 12 volumes next.

Batman

On the third stage of my Tolkein marathon and current reading Unfinished Tales.

Wasn't sure why to think about the book at the start, I loved the opening tale of Tuor (a character I really liked from The Silmarillion) and his coming to Gondolin, but the abrupt end and no conclusion left me with a slightly sour taste. Though after reading the history of Galadriel and Celeborn, I've thought more about what I'm actually reading and that it is literally "Unfinished Tales". Small narratives, explanations, notes, corrections, contradictions etc. Some of it gets confusing, but I like delving into the mind of Tolkein and how Arda and everything within it came to be. Kind of tempting me to buy the 12 volumes next.

Yeah, something that sometimes takes a minute to click when you first read UT is that the title is not just a kind of mysterious fantasy title. The book is literally a collection of stories Tolkien wrote about Arda that didn't get finished lol. They're incomplete manuscripts, but they give loads of interesting details about Middle-earth that you can't find elsewhere.

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
Soon I'm going to be starting Love Is the Cure: On Life, Loss, and the End of AIDS, by Elton John.

Batman

"Einstein's Cosmos: How Albert Einstein's Vision Transformed Our Understanding of Space and Time", by Michio Kaku.

It's a biography of Albert Einstein, with a strong focus on his work, its implications, and his scientific legacy more so than his personal life (although it tackles that in good detail too). It also discusses the value of his research during the last 30 years of his life considering breakthroughs in theoretical physics and cosmology that have occurred in the last 20 years or so.

Batman

"Parallel Worlds: A Journey through Creation, Higher Dimensions, and the Future of the Cosmos", by Michio Kaku.

This book is similar to Hyperspace in scope and content, but it more heavily focuses on cosmology in conjunction with theoretical physics and even quite a bit of futurism. Obviously the title gives away its main topic of discussion, the possible existence of a multiverse in which our universe is but one tiny bubble among a sea of others.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I was reading The Silmarillion. I got about a quarter of the way through but then stopped for reasons I fail to remember. I plan to start it up again in the not too distant future, but a recent trip to Chapters led me to purchasing A Game of Thrones. I've only read the prologue so far, but I can already tell it's gonna be a good read. If I like it enough, I'll probably purchase the rest of the series.

Dan

1984, prior to this I was reading a nonfiction book about North Korea, obviously both contain totalitarian governments but some of the similarities are dead on, it's quite scary.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
Ethridge, Robby. From Chicaza to Chickasaw: The European Invasion and the Transformation of the Mississippian World, 1540-1715. University of North Carolina Press, 2010.

Dan

BigT344.png
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom