• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Dinosaurs, Because Dinosaurs, That's Why.

Megalosaurus is said to be closely related to the Allosaurus. Despite it being one of the earliest samples to be excavated alongside the Iguanodon, not much is really known about this mysterious dinosaur.

Spinosaurus has gained popularity after the release of the third Jurassic Park movie, but its arms are not as long as they were portrayed in that film. Experts agree that the Tyrannosaurus would have won in real life.

Velociraptor and Deinonychus were said to be the same species, but that theory has been recently undermined. The depicted Velociraptor in the first Jurassic Park film more closely resemble the Deinonychus.

Apatosaurus was once known as "Brontosaurus".

Many experts agree that the Tyrannosaurus Rex tastes like chicken due to their similar composition. It is interesting to point out that (un)surprisingly, birds are more closely related to dinosaurs than lizards, crocodiles, and amphibians. Given how the reptiles undergo a sex change during their confinement in the egg, the catastrophes of Jurassic Parks would have been circumvented should the scientists have instead used birds and not frogs.
When were velociraptor and deinonychus said to be the same species? At least 20-25 years ago (when I was learning about dinos) they were definitely not the same, and I don't remember anything saying there was a controversy. Was that one of those early-1900s controversies or something?

SlimZim

Helena is my baby.
Your link is broken. :goodness:
Oh snap. Here it is
Dinosaur-King-3.jpg

You know what I find interesting? That people are thinking now that dinosaurs had feathers.

Anyone have a time machine handy? :/

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Just remembered about this: http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v521/n7550/full/nature14423.html

At the base of the dinosaur lineage that eventually led to birds there is a small group of bizarre dinosaurs called scansoriopterygids. They were very small, often with long digits and are usually reconstructed as tree-dwelling lemur-like creatures. Here Xing Xu and colleagues present what is possibly the strangest scansoriopterygid so far discovered. Named Yi qi, the tiny animal, from 160 million-year-old sediments in China, has an unusual assortment of stiff filamentous feathers and also two long bony elements attached to the wrists, unlike anything seen previously in any dinosaur. These structures, resembling extraneous bones seen in a variety of tetrapods, may have supported a membrane that might have sustained gliding flight. Traces of such a membrane are preserved with the specimen.

Pretty interesting.

Pre-1990s, Michael Crichton (as well as the majourity of that time) believed that they are of the same species. If you look closely at Velociraptors from the first and the third films, you would notice that the latter has feathers. New ideas were taken in whereas the old theories became obsolete and unsubstantiated with new discoveries.

I also do not remember anyone, including I, mentioning anything pertaining to any sort of controversy.

Me!

Somehow I am now a young earth creationist? This is news to me. Or maybe you've employed a false dichotomy to discredit something you've never considered for yourself. I understand that there is no intelligent conversation to be had here as so many rhetoric based buzz words are being thrown around, but you are going to have to live with the fact that "irrefutable scientific fact" faces it's biggest critics from within the non-religious science community and that your 5th grade teacher was not an infallible source of scientific knowledge. I won't bother with a rebuttal as someone who gets defense over a passive opinion will not be able to debate as an adult. I don't understand why. Whether dinosaurs faced an ancient mass extinction, disappeared slowly over long ages or are still alive today living in New York City and hosting game shows, it doesn't effect the validity of religion, evolution or modern science. I can't say I'm not a little disappointed, I find earth chronology a pretty exciting topic and have some great source materials that challenge convention on a scientific basis from a variety of perspectives. I guess a video game forum was not the place to try and talk about deep subjects. BTW, I have a degree in science from a major, secular, university. You weren't fooling me, nor could you stump me, with a Googled rebuttal . Nice try though. ;)

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
BTW, I have a degree in science from a major, secular, university.
:melee:
I don't care if you got your degree from Jesus Christ, dinosaurs were absolutely not roaming the earth any time in the last couple hundred or couple thousand years.

Me!

I don't care if you got your degree from Jesus Christ, dinosaurs were absolutely not roaming the earth any time in the last couple hundred or couple thousand years.

Misquote. I cited my education as backing for the fact that I can tell a researched opinion from a Googled answer. Also, I believe final extinction took place within several thousand years, not hundred. Nor do I believe that dinosaurs where still living within the last two thousand years. There are others who believe that but I do not. You are free to disagree but please read my posts before you comment on them. You have actually attempted to disagree with me by posting something I agree with.

Misquote. I cited my education as backing for the fact that I can tell a researched opinion from a Googled answer. Also, I believe final extinction took place within several thousand years, not hundred. Nor do I believe that dinosaurs where still living within the last two thousand years. There are others who believe that but I do not. You are free to disagree but please read my posts before you comment on them. You have actually attempted to disagree with me by posting something I agree with.

Why do you believe this?

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
Me! said:
Somehow I am now a young earth creationist? This is news to me. Or maybe you've employed a false dichotomy to discredit something you've never considered for yourself.

The only people that I know of who believe dinosaurs lived hundreds of years ago are young earth creationist theists. If you are not a young earth creationist, I apologize for mislabeling you.

I understand that there is no intelligent conversation to be had here as so many rhetoric based buzz words are being thrown around, but you are going to have to live with the fact that "irrefutable scientific fact" faces it's biggest critics from within the non-religious science community and that your 5th grade teacher was not an infallible source of scientific knowledge. I won't bother with a rebuttal as someone who gets defense over a passive opinion will not be able to debate as an adult.

At this point you're seeming more and more like a troll, but perhaps you're just upset and it's coming out in your writing. My advice is to calm down. It's the internet, people are going to disagree with you and find you a little ridiculous and say so if you say dinosaurs aren't millions of years old. That should not surprise you. On this forum or any forum.

Unfortunately, non-religious critics who want to keep science honest don't seem to be supporting your position. If you are in possession of radical new evidence that suggests dinosaurs died out recently in the human timeline, I'd love to see it, as would the entire scientific community.

Whether dinosaurs faced an ancient mass extinction, disappeared slowly over long ages or are still alive today living in New York City and hosting game shows, it doesn't effect the validity of religion, evolution or modern science.

Who said it did? You made an extraordinary claim about dinosaurs and we're questioning you on it and commenting about what kind of mindset you have to have if you truly believe this stuff. That's all were talking about.

I find earth chronology a pretty exciting topic and have some great source materials that challenge convention on a scientific basis from a variety of perspectives.

I'd love to see it. But it better be peer reviewed, or if you think there's a peer review conspiracy, it better be fantastic in its methodology and reach undeniable conclusions.

BTW, I have a degree in science from a major, secular, university.

This is irrelevant. Lots of pseudo-scientists have science degrees from major, secular, universities. What matters is the evidence, not the individual or their credentials.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
:|||
:coolhecks:

Me!

the only one stirring strife is you. If you don't want to backup your incredible claims then don't make them and then claim people are being hostile.

Causing contention and having an opinion are quite different. A plethora of sarcastic and defensive responses justify ending a conversation. Have a nice day though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom