• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Dinosaurs, Because Dinosaurs, That's Why.

Me!

I don't really have a favorite but I will chime in and say I don't believe the default chronology of dinosaurs we are taught in school. I believe people and dinosaurs lived side by side and that they didn't go extinct until relatively recent times. There is a school of thought that rejects the idea of mass extinction millions of years ago, or the zany idea that dinosaurs turned into birds, and claims dinosaurs became extinct gradual over time like all other species. It is also believed that the last dinosaurs were still alive a few thousand, and some believe even a few hundred, years ago. Obviously all of the chronologies have problems but the recent extinction theory seems to hold up a little better than it's peers from what I've read, even if it isn't super popular.

Me!

Sorry, forgot I was on the internet for a minute. Where the most popular opinion is always right and anyone different is stupid or a troll.

Sorry, forgot I was on the internet for a minute. Where the most popular opinion is always right and anyone different is stupid or a troll.
whoooaaa you were serious. lmao

Also, "popular" and "empirical" are not synonymous, and "opinion" and "fact" are not either.

Last edited:

Johnny Sooshi

Just a sleepy guy
I don't really have a favorite but I will chime in and say I don't believe the default chronology of dinosaurs we are taught in school. I believe people and dinosaurs lived side by side and that they didn't go extinct until relatively recent times. There is a school of thought that rejects the idea of mass extinction millions of years ago, or the zany idea that dinosaurs turned into birds, and claims dinosaurs became extinct gradual over time like all other species. It is also believed that the last dinosaurs were still alive a few thousand, and some believe even a few hundred, years ago. Obviously all of the chronologies have problems but the recent extinction theory seems to hold up a little better than it's peers from what I've read, even if it isn't super popular.

See the problem is there is a vast amount of irrefutable scientific evidence that disproves all of what you've just said. Dinosaurs haven't been alive for nearly 100 million years. We can prove this using carbon dating on bones and the soil that the bones were found in. Not all dinosaurs became birds, but it's been theorized with a decent amount of evidence to back it up, that raptors did eventually evolve into birds. We can tell by comparing bone structure and genetics of birds to their ancient ancestors. Mass extinction is almost is pretty much guaranteed because soil layering shows that there's a layer that's been considered the K-Pg layer, where a layer of iridium is found. Iridium is a rare earth metal that's actually found quite prominently on asteroids.

And yeah, all the chronologies have problems because this theory makes no sense.

It's not about popular opinion. It's about scientific evidence. It's been proven. You can have your own opinion, sure, but that doesn't make you right. In this case, you're very much wrong. So if you want us to play by this judgement, I'm gonna go with you not being a troll, but I think you're stupid.

SlimZim

Helena is my baby.
I ****in LOVED dinosaurs when I was younger (and still do, really). Loved the OP - keep em coming! Personally I always liked triceratops, pentaceratops, deinonychus, and several of the therapods including T-rex and allosaurus
+1
i was OBSESSSSSEDDDDD with dinosaurs as a little kid. I wish I still had that passion for paleontology like I used too

anyway, this used to be my favorite show on 4KidsTV when I was younger. Cookie goes to anyone who can guess it correctly
6727_1239192617227_357_375.jpgp

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
a few hundred years ago...
:|

Sutittaja

Freezing chill
Am I only one who likes Spinosaurus? It's my favorite dinosaurus, but it's so underrated because Tyrannosaurus Rex. It is said that it is bigger than T-Rex, but still many human don't even know about Spinosaurus.
I also like Velociraptor and Giganotosaurus.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
a few hundred years ago...
:|
There is EVIDENCE of the dinosaurs being here a few hundred years ago! Look at this damning photograph:

b5bfeae6ad7352571d35d757016229be.jpg

HA! IN YOUR FACE! That's George Washington riding a dinosaur! Obviously this is proof that dinosaurs existed a couple hundred years ago!

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
See the problem is there is a vast amount of irrefutable scientific evidence that disproves all of what you've just said. Dinosaurs haven't been alive for nearly 100 million years. We can prove this using carbon dating on bones and the soil that the bones were found in. Not all dinosaurs became birds, but it's been theorized with a decent amount of evidence to back it up, that raptors did eventually evolve into birds. We can tell by comparing bone structure and genetics of birds to their ancient ancestors. Mass extinction is almost is pretty much guaranteed because soil layering shows that there's a layer that's been considered the K-Pg layer, where a layer of iridium is found. Iridium is a rare earth metal that's actually found quite prominently on asteroids.

And yeah, all the chronologies have problems because this theory makes no sense.

It's not about popular opinion. It's about scientific evidence. It's been proven. You can have your own opinion, sure, but that doesn't make you right. In this case, you're very much wrong. So if you want us to play by this judgement, I'm gonna go with you not being a troll, but I think you're stupid.

The problem is that for young earth creationists, irrefutable scientific evidence is completely meaningless. These people will laud science when it supports certain preconceived ideas given to them by their religion, but will completely dismisses it when it does not. When you come at issues from such a worldview, nothing can ever be considered true in any fathomable sense if it contradicts something in the faith. Approaching the world with this kind of epistemological mindset means that your wishful thinking (aka faith, belief in absence of or despite physical evidence) must necessarily override any conceivable objective conclusions reached by objective methods that contradict your faith epistemology. But when objective conclusions reached by objective methods are in accord with your faith epistemology, it's considered valuable and reinforcing. It's very much a pick-and-choose philosophy of knowledge and truth when it comes to external methods like logic and science.

With that in mind then, it's truly a futile exercise to debate with people about dinosaurs or whatever with this worldview. It's not even worthwhile to debate with them about why certain theories of epistemology are better than others, because a scenario where you end up successfully showing the person the holes in their logic about the very way they approach the matter will itself be dismissed because of the faith demands it. Before you can convince a young earther that the world is billions of years old and not thousands, you'd first have to convince them that the entire philosophical backbone of how they value knowledge is wrong. It goes without saying that doing so is rarely successful. It takes a very personal decision to change the way one thinks about the world, and when it comes to religious faith that's reinforced by your family, friends, and culture, it's a very tough thing to do. Even if the world is clearly showing you that what you believe is just plain wrong.

Aku

+1
i was OBSESSSSSEDDDDD with dinosaurs as a little kid. I wish I still had that passion for paleontology like I used too

anyway, this used to be my favorite show on 4KidsTV when I was younger. Cookie goes to anyone who can guess it correctly
6727_1239192617227_357_375.jpgp
Your link is broken. :goodness:

Megalosaurus is said to be closely related to the Allosaurus. Despite it being one of the earliest samples to be excavated alongside the Iguanodon, not much is really known about this mysterious dinosaur.

Spinosaurus has gained popularity after the release of the third Jurassic Park movie, but its arms are not as long as they were portrayed in that film. Experts agree that the Tyrannosaurus would have won in real life.

Velociraptor and Deinonychus were said to be the same species, but that theory has been recently undermined. The depicted Velociraptor in the first Jurassic Park film more closely resemble the Deinonychus.

Apatosaurus was once known as "Brontosaurus".

Many experts agree that the Tyrannosaurus Rex tastes like chicken due to their similar composition. It is interesting to point out that (un)surprisingly, birds are more closely related to dinosaurs than lizards, crocodiles, and amphibians. Given how the reptiles undergo a sex change during their confinement in the egg, the catastrophes of Jurassic Parks would have been circumvented should the scientists have instead used birds and not frogs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom