• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U DGN Tournament 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Welcome to the second Super Smash Bros. for Wii U DGN Tournament! Use this thread to be informed on what matches to play and post the results. Remember, the winner gets a special medal (
15_1424335237l.jpg
). Below are the specific rules and details. Some have changed since the sign-up thread so please read them before playing your matches.

Tournament Details
  • Tournament organizers: Fig, Krazy4Krash, Linkdude74, PhantomTriforce
  • Format:
    • Stage one will use the Swiss System. Over the course of four rounds, each player must play their assigned match-ups to determine a top four. These matches are all best-of-three.
    • Stage two is a single elimination bracket. The top four players from the end of stage one will be put in a bracket as a finals series. These matches are all best-of-five.
  • Each round has one player who will receive a bye, and it is randomised.
  • See the tournament group for all necessary Nintendo Network IDs. There is also a discussion there for placement in an optional Skype group to assist in communication between players.
  • The challonge page has been created and it can be found here.
  • Roughly 3 days per round
Rules
  • Do not modify the default in-game rules except in the following ways:
    • 3 stock battle
    • 8 minute stock timer
    • Disable items
    • Although already the default setting, ensure customisations are off; they will not be allowed in this tourney.
  • In the case of the match timer running out, the player with more stocks wins. If stocks are the same, then the player with less % wins. If % is the same as well, then a 1-stock 3-minute game is played with the same characters and stage as a tie-breaker.
  • If both players happen to lose their last stock at the exact same time and the game goes to Sudden Death, it is ignored. Instead, play a tie-breaker as described above. This includes if the game goes to Sudden Death through use of a recognised Sacrificial KO technique.
  • When a stage is banned during the stage striking process, the Omega form of that stage cannot be chosen.
  • Dave's Stupid Rule is applied; you cannot counterpick a stage you have already won on during the current set. All Omega stages and Final Destination are tied together for this rule; if Final Destination is not allowed, neither are Omega stages.
    • However, the Gentleman's Rule is applied; regardless of Dave's Stupid Rule or stage strikes, any of the legal stages may be played on if both players agree.
  • Mewtwo is not allowed.
Match Procedure
  • The first character selection is a blind pick; both players should select a character without telling the other person, then go to the stage select screen.
  • The first stage selection is decided through striking (or the Gentleman's Rule). The first player tells the other person one of the following five stages they don't wish to play on. The second player does the same for two more stages, then the first player does one more, effectively deciding the stage to play on for the first game. The list of starting stages is as follows:
    • Battlefield
    • Final Destination (including all Omega forms)
    • Smashville
    • Town and City
    • Lylat Cruise
  • After the completion of each game:
  1. The winner strikes three stages from the full list, and they remain banned for the rest of the set. This includes the aforementioned starting stages and the following counterpick stages:
    • Duck Hunt
    • Skyloft
    • Caslte Siege
    • Delfino Plaza
    • Halberd
  2. The loser picks the stage to play the next match on. This cannot be any of the striked stages or any stage they have won on during the set already (unless the Gentleman's Rule is applied).
  3. The winner can change characters if desired. They must tell the loser which character he/she will be.
  4. The loser can change characters if desired. They may tell the winner at this point upon request.
  5. Both players must pick the same stage as agreed prior.
  6. If no winner of the set is determined after playing the game, repeat these steps as necessary.
Other Points
  • Be sure to have the latest update for your game downloaded and installed (version 1.0.7) so you can play online.
  • Either player must post the results in this tournament thread. One of the TOs will update the Challonge bracket.
    • By default, the poster is assumed right, but the opponent has 24 hours to confirm or object.
  • If an opponent does not respond for setting up a time for the match for 36 hours, contact one of the TOs. We will attempt to contact the player too; if the player does not respond for another 24 hours, you will win the match by default.
  • It is advised to save the replays of your matches, so in the case of a disagreement, they can be reviewed. The maximum length of the matches should be 8 minutes and can be saved provided there is enough space. Send the replay to one of the TOs using the share feature in the game (preferred), or record the replay with your phone or camera and send that footage to us, which is fine. If you choose to do the latter method, please ensure that you are able to see everything clearly at all times.
  • Do not overly ledge-stall to run out the timer. If you think your opponent might be doing this, send the replay to the TOs as detailed above.
  • If a player is caught cheating or breaking the rules in the winners bracket, he/she will be sent to the losers bracket. If a player is caught cheating or breaking the rules in the losers bracket, he/she will be disqualified.
    • Cheating qualifies as, but is not limited to:
      • "Convincing" the other player in any way to let you win.
      • Letting someone else play for you.
      • Glitching the game so it becomes unplayable.

Round One:
  • Fig vs. musicfan
  • Acestar4 vs. Himura Kenshin
  • ZombieOfun vs. Heroine of Time
  • PhantomTriforce vs. OcarinaPlayerOfTime
Linkdude74 has the bye for round one.

Please complete these matches by Wednesday, May 13th at 11:59pm EST.

Have fun and good luck to everyone! Feel free to ask any questions.

miniluigi008

Just smile and nod.
Psalm 120:1 "I call on the LORD in my distress, and he answers me."
Mewtwo is not allowed.

If I may ask, why? It seems a bit like saying, "Oh, well Little Mac has a KO punch, he's OP like Captain Falcon so he shouldn't be allowed in a competition."

Mewtwo has his weaknesses just like every other Smash character. If someone doesn't have the money to buy Mewtwo for the tournament and thinks it's unfair, it's their problem.

EDIT: And if you try to say he's not in the default roster for a reason: The only reason is that the developers of Smash ran out of time to fit him in. Why do you think Lucas and the Ice Climbers aren't there?

Musicfan

the shadow mage
If I may ask, why? It seems a bit like saying, "Oh, well Little Mac has a KO punch, he's OP like Captain Falcon so he shouldn't be allowed in a competition."

Mewtwo has his weaknesses just like every other Smash character. If someone doesn't have the money to buy Mewtwo for the tournament and thinks it's unfair, it's their problem.

EDIT: And if you try to say he's not in the default roster for a reason: The only reason is that the developers of Smash ran out of time to fit him in. Why do you think Lucas and the Ice Climbers aren't there?
Are you even in the completion?

Krazy4Krash

Staff member

What the? Where are you getting this idea Mewtwo was not allowed for balance reasons or sympathy for the poor? Who am I saying is overpowered? And you?

Linkdude is correct; when we started this tourney, Mewtwo wasn't even available to the general public. Simply put, it made no sense to allow content to a competitive environment where players had no fair chance to practice. How would you have liked to face against a character you couldn't even purchase yet, in a competitive setting no less?

Now, since it's actually been so long since the tournament started and we've made little progress, if somebody were to (kindly) ask to play as Mewtwo, I'd probably say yes at this point, because it's been a while and people have been able to openly purchase and play as/against Mewtwo all this time. As far as I know, we don't even have any serious Mewtwo players entered so who cares.

Also, the Ice Climbers aren't in the newest Smash Brothers games because the 3DS version couldn't handle them, believe it or not, not time constraints.

It's probably gone unnoticed that Round 2 has started. This has taken far too long due to games not being played and not being able to continue until they were done or players forfeited. Obviously this can't be done in three days so let's forget about deadlines, just do these match-ups as soon as possible.
  • Acestar4 vs. musicfan
  • Linkdude74 vs. ZombieOfun
  • Heroine of Time vs. Fig
PhantomTriforce and Himura Kenshin have already played their match-up like good little boys when PT started the current round. Since musicfan has said he is having internet troubles, we will give him the chance to compete until all the other games have been done; we're not exactly to the position to disqualify again due to numbers. It should be noted that OcarinaPlayerOfTime was eliminated rather early due to complete inactivity (he still hasn't logged on since this has started), and that got rid of the only possible spot for a bye in each round.

miniluigi008

Just smile and nod.
How would you have liked to face against a character you couldn't even purchase yet, in a competitive setting no less?

It would give an opportunity to shine through as a star, and as you agree,
Where are you getting this idea Mewtwo was not allowed for balance reasons
Mewtwo should be balanced.

//

Are you even in the completion?

I came here hoping to join the competition, but as I found out, it was long in the process. My dreams were shot down by the metaphorical slingshot.

//

not time constraints.

However, I'm sure given enough time they would have figured a way around the hardware constraints. Whether that meant splitting Popo and Nana up (as individual alternates for the same character,) or whatsoever they would've decided to do.

By the way, I apologize for not remembering to read up on the actual reason, I don't live on the internet.

//

When we started the tournament not everyone would have had access to mewtwo, therefore for this one, no mewtwo

Thank you, Linkdude74, for the simple answer without the drama.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
It would give an opportunity to shine through as a star

Well, that's good for you. Our current players don't even want to have custom moves currently due to unfamiliarity, let alone a full character.

and as you agree,

Mewtwo should be balanced.

What? Did you read my question? Why do you think I don't think Mewtwo is balanced?

I came here hoping to join the competition, but as I found out, it was long in the process. My dreams were shot down by the metaphorical slingshot.

Look for the sign-ups threads when they get posted, there will always be a clear notifying message on top of the shoutbox when sign-ups are open. As they last about a week, there is no reason to miss them as long as one is active on this site. Logging on once every two days is not a hard task.

Also, the "and you?" comment was me questioning your "Little Mac is OP, Captain Falcon is OP" pretend quote. Where did that come from?

However, I'm sure given enough time they would have figured a way around the hardware constraints. Whether that meant splitting Popo and Nana up (as individual alternates for the same character,) or whatsoever they would've decided to do.

By the way, I apologize for not remembering to read up on the actual reason, I don't live on the internet.

You don't have to live on the internet to read or have read one column and remember one fact, instead of, you know, making stuff up. Another reason the Ice Climbers were removed is because they have only one retro game and there's no sign of a new one, so they were put on low priority to return anyway. Even with an extended deadline, it was doubtful they would come back, as long as the 3DS version existed. Regardless, who would want Ice Climbers with the entire gimmick of the Ice Climbers removed?

Thank you, Linkdude74, for the simple answer without the drama.

Obviously if a reply is a decent length and has questions in it, then it's a drama post.

miniluigi008

Just smile and nod.
Why do you think I don't think Mewtwo is balanced?

I was agreeing with you (based on your statement) that Mewtwo was balanced.
I thought you were capable of comprehension.

Logging on once every two days is not a hard task.

Difficulty is relative. It's quite possible that what is easy for you, is hard for someone else. What if someone was paralyzed and had a memory issue, but could still play Sm4sh (slightly)? That task would be hard for them.

you know, making stuff up.

I wasn't making stuff up. Back when Sm4sh first came out, this was common speculation. I hadn't read up on it since then. Please, forgive me for not being perfect and knowing everything as soon as it can be known.

Regardless, who would want Ice Climbers with the entire gimmick of the Ice Climbers removed?

I, as a matter of fact, love NES games. Regardless, the Ice Climbers have been in Smash since Melee. Popo and Nana have a reputation as being classic characters, do they not?

they have only one retro game and there's no sign of a new one, so they were put on low priority to return anyway.

That statement is invalid. You can blame Duck Hunt for only having one retro game and no sign of a new one. I would also say Mr. Game and Watch could be blamed, but he has more than one retro game.

Obviously if a reply is a decent length and has questions in it, then it's a drama post.

I'm glad you agree. Drama is best when accompanied by a slight undertone of sarcasm, yes?

me questioning your "Little Mac is OP, Captain Falcon is OP" pretend quote. Where did that come from?

It came from my imagination. Aren't you amazed? Amazed like :wynaut:?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom