• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Progressing in Fallout 3?

That's Power Armour (specifically Brotherhood of Steel Power Armour) and yes you do. You'll encounter the BoS throughout the game. You'll probably see a couple of dead soldiers when you're in the DC ruins. However, you can't actually wear the armour until you've got power armour training. That will come later on in the main quest though.

Sweet, thanks! Is is the best body armor in the game?

Definitely. I'm a huge fan of New Vegas (my third favourite game of all time), so yeah if you like this game you really should pick it up.

It's similar bit very different at the same time. It runs on the same engine, has a lot of the same enemies/guns/items/menu interface/stats etc; however it's subtly very different. New Vegas is more user friendly in my opinion, it's much easier at the start to get items and caps and it will set you off in a linear direction. After the first couple of hours though, the game opens up and actually feels a lot more vast than the Capitol Wasteland. There's more locations and it has much more variety in my opinion. The game also is more centered around factions and your relationship with them rather than being based around "this decision is either objectively good or bad" which is why I didn't like the karma system in Fallout 3.

It has a completely different atmosphere and tone as well. F3 is more desolate and feels like everyone is scraping by whereas NV shows more civilisations and people seem, generally, better off. It's a lot more tongue-in-cheek with its humour rather than that depressing feel that F3 had. Both are great games, but the subtle changes make NV much better imo, buy it decide for yourself though because the Fallout community is pretty polarised on which is better.

Is it true you can't continue playing after beating the game?

In Fallout 3 you can continue the game after beating the main quest if you have the expansions IIRC. In New Vegas I cannot remember.

Personally I thought Fallout 3 was a bit better than NV, but I thought both were great. I think the atmosphere in Fallout 3 was what really made me feel attached to it.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
Some of these have already been covered, but I'll add my 2 cents:

1. Do the Wasteland Survival Guide missions. They're pretty decent in terms of perks (some unique) and loot. Make sure you do all of the optional stuff for the full reward.

2. Do Blood Ties. This is a must. Just trust me... I don't want to give away the whole story, but it unlocks a good healing item.

3. Collect all of the medical tubing, toy cars and paint guns that you can AND all of the radscorpion poison glands that you can. Later, you can learn to build a weapon called the dart gun which is pretty much the best weapon in the game.

4. Sounds like you already did it, but definitely get the house in Megaton. It's in a much more central location than the other permanent house you can own. The view isn't as good though ...

5. I strongly recommend increasing your repair skill as often as possible, and do any perks that may affect that skill in a positive manner. Not only can you repair your weapons much more better (that is terrible grammar!) but when creating new items, they'll start off at better rating. This depends on your playstyle, however.

6. Always hack into computer terminals, even if you can get the password elsewhere. Unless the hacking level is beyond what you can do, it's better to get the experience points rather than take the easy way and get the password.

7. Go back to the Springdale (whatever the little town is called) Elementary school and grind there. The enemies respawn every few days, and you can go back as often as you'd like.

8. I strongly recommend against melee attacks/weapons/perks/upgrades. Sure, you can get some good weapons in that category, but you don't want to fight deathclaws with melee.

9. When you clear our the metro station, and the tunnels, they stay cleared for ever. I recommend clearing them early for experience points.

10. Personally, I'm a big Leather Armor fan. It's light, but it's effective. Keep a few different outfits around in case you need to do something that requires a certain skill. Lab coats, for example, give you + to medicine and science, if I remember correctly.

11. If you wander close to the water, be ware of mirelurks. I recommend shotgun to the face.

12. Speaking of shotgun to the face, I also recommend increasing your action points as often as you can, so that you can use weapons like the shotgun more often when you're doing aiming with the Pip-Boy

That's all I have for now. Fallout 3 was one of my favorite games, but it can get kinda ... buggy at times. Bethesda makes really fun games, but technically, meh. Save often. And enjoy!!

Some of these have already been covered, but I'll add my 2 cents:

1. Do the Wasteland Survival Guide missions. They're pretty decent in terms of perks (some unique) and loot. Make sure you do all of the optional stuff for the full reward.

I try to mate, but getting that Observer probe into the Mirelurk nest without killing any Mirelurks was too hard. The stealth system in Fallout 3 is as effective as the stealth in Oblivion, which isn't saying much.

2. Do Blood Ties. This is a must. Just trust me... I don't want to give away the whole story, but it unlocks a good healing item.

I did Blood Ties, but didn't get any healing item?

3. Collect all of the medical tubing, toy cars and paint guns that you can AND all of the radscorpion poison glands that you can. Later, you can learn to build a weapon called the dart gun which is pretty much the best weapon in the game.

Dang, now you tell me haha. I've been selling all the medical tubing, toy cars, and paint guns I've come across.

5. I strongly recommend increasing your repair skill as often as possible, and do any perks that may affect that skill in a positive manner. Not only can you repair your weapons much more better (that is terrible grammar!) but when creating new items, they'll start off at better rating. This depends on your playstyle, however.

I haven't been giving repair as much thought as combat, science, and lockpicking tbh. It's so hard to pick which perk you want to get when you level up!

7. Go back to the Springdale (whatever the little town is called) Elementary school and grind there. The enemies respawn every few days, and you can go back as often as you'd like.

Oh really? That sucks- I was hoping I'd have permanently cleared it out like the Metro tunnels.

10. Personally, I'm a big Leather Armor fan. It's light, but it's effective. Keep a few different outfits around in case you need to do something that requires a certain skill. Lab coats, for example, give you + to medicine and science, if I remember correctly.

I used to have leather armor but I replaced it with a more stealth-like suit.

12. Speaking of shotgun to the face, I also recommend increasing your action points as often as you can, so that you can use weapons like the shotgun more often when you're doing aiming with the Pip-Boy

Which skill = action points again?

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Sweet, thanks! Is is the best body armor in the game?
Vanilla without any DLC? Well yes, technically. Though that's subjective though. Depends on what you want from armour. DR (damage resistance), it's the strongest, but it really depends on what you want from armour. It's heavy, so you'll move slower and it'll take up a lot for weight. Then you have variants of the PowerPoint Armour; each with its own set of special effects (sometimes minus effects). So for example, one might have +1 to strength and +20 to rad resistance whereas another one might have +1 luck +15 to fire resistance but - 1 charisma.

The best armour in the game though, is a unique variant on the power armour - the T-51b. It's hidden in a certain location, I'll leave you to try and find it.

RedLink said:
If you don't have the Broken Steel Dlc, yes, you can't continue after completion. So if you don't have the Dlc, save be before the last mission. You'll know when it's the last mission though. As for NV, yeah it's the same; however it warns you before the final quest.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
I try to mate, but getting that Observer probe into the Mirelurk nest without killing any Mirelurks was too hard. The stealth system in Fallout 3 is as effective as the stealth in Oblivion, which isn't saying much.

Yeah, it's a bit of a hassle for sure. However, there is a certain route you can take to the bottom without really getting into any fights. Also, use StealthBoys. You'll have to forgive me, because it has been a long while since I played it, but I know there's a way to do it while still being relatively low-leveled (I think below 15 or so). But if not, no worries, it isn't the end of the world if you don't complete all the optional stuff.

I did Blood Ties, but didn't get any healing item?

Go back and talk to the leader of the people, and he'll teach you how to use blood bags to heal.

Dang, now you tell me haha. I've been selling all the medical tubing, toy cars, and paint guns I've come across.

They're everywhere, so no worries! Just start collecting them from now on. I collect them and keep them in my Megaton home until I have the blue prints for the dart gun (there are I think 3 different plans for it, and with each one you collect, the dart gun starts off at a better rating, but if your repair is high enough, you can just make a bunch of them, and "repair" them to make the rating higher that way).

I haven't been giving repair as much thought as combat, science, and lockpicking tbh. It's so hard to pick which perk you want to get when you level up!

The first time I played, I used all my points for combat perks, and the game got really hard later on. After my 5th or 6th playthrough I learned that aside from two-handed weapons (rifle, assault rifle, shotgun), I don't bother with combat perks. I pretty much only go for support abilities.

Oh really? That sucks- I was hoping I'd have permanently cleared it out like the Metro tunnels.

It's good and bad. It's good because you can go and grind there, if you need a little XP (after a while, the XP you get there is insignificant), but also good because there's always loot to pillage, at least, if you're hurting for caps.

I used to have leather armor but I replaced it with a more stealth-like suit.

Yeah, Leather is good early on. I use the Recon as well, because it does increase your stealth a bit. I usually keep a few different ones, like I said, because you never know what kind of skill you'll need.

Which skill = action points again?

Agility. Also, the Action Boy/Girl perk gives you a bonus to them. Again, my first few playthroughs, I only increased health, and even so, the game got really hard later on.

I usually max out Intelligence and then spread the other points for everything else except Luck when I start off the game. The higher your Intelligence, the more points you can use later on.

Vanilla without any DLC?

Vanilla? Lol what?

If you don't have the Broken Steel Dlc, yes, you can't continue after completion. So if you don't have the Dlc, save be before the last mission. You'll know when it's the last mission though. As for NV, yeah it's the same; however it warns you before the final quest.

I do have Broken Steel, but I was talking about New Vegas. They never released any DLC like Broken Steel?

Yeah, it's a bit of a hassle for sure. However, there is a certain route you can take to the bottom without really getting into any fights. Also, use StealthBoys. You'll have to forgive me, because it has been a long while since I played it, but I know there's a way to do it while still being relatively low-leveled (I think below 15 or so). But if not, no worries, it isn't the end of the world if you don't complete all the optional stuff.

I don't know, I was considering selling all my stealth boys.

Go back and talk to the leader of the people, and he'll teach you how to use blood bags to heal.

Oh sweet, but I usually sell those. Stimpaks already are effective enough.

They're everywhere, so no worries! Just start collecting them from now on. I collect them and keep them in my Megaton home until I have the blue prints for the dart gun (there are I think 3 different plans for it, and with each one you collect, the dart gun starts off at a better rating, but if your repair is high enough, you can just make a bunch of them, and "repair" them to make the rating higher that way).

Alright, will do. Why do you call it the best gun in the game?

Agility. Also, the Action Boy/Girl perk gives you a bonus to them. Again, my first few playthroughs, I only increased health, and even so, the game got really hard later on.

That's surprising to hear. You'd think combat and health are everything when it comes to surviving against enemies.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
Oh sweet, but I usually sell those. Stimpaks already are effective enough.

Until you run out!! I find that Stimpaks can be hard to find once you've looted certain places. But if you have a mix of the two, you'll probably never run out of healing items.

Alright, will do. Why do you call it the best gun in the game?

Essentially, it's a paralyzer. It instantly cripples enemies, making them unable to jump or run. Deathclaws go from super scary to laughably easy. Yao guai go from from death machines to cuddly teddy bears. It also does slight poison damage, but once you've paralyzed the bad guy, killing them is cake. So it isn't an uber powerful weapon, but to me it's indispensable. I always, always, make sure I get it as early as possible. It makes exploring a lot safer.

That's surprising to hear. You'd think combat and health are everything when it comes to surviving against enemies.

Yeah, but there are other factors to consider. Surviving radiation, for example. Lock picking, computer hacking, speechcraft, even some perks that let you recover AP faster. Maybe it's just my play-style, but going all out combat and health and forgetting everything else really was not a good idea.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I find the Dart Gun is good early on, but when you're a higher level (17 and above), it becomes rather useless. I always keep it handy for Deathclaws (though F3 Deathclaws are kind of easy), but it's useless against human enemies and Super Mutants.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Also another tip. If you want a really good companion early on, during the Galaxy News Radio quest, opposite the Museum of Technology is the Museum of History. In there is a ghoul named Charon, and if you do a small quest for his owner, you can get his contract.

I don't really use companions because I'd rather travel alone, but it's a must for newcomers.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
Also another tip. If you want a really good companion early on, during the Galaxy News Radio quest, opposite the Museum of Technology is the Museum of History. In there is a ghoul named Charon, and if you do a small quest for his owner, you can get his contract.

I don't really use companions because I'd rather travel alone, but it's a must for newcomers.

Yeah, I find companions a lot better in New Vegas.

And I don't find F3 Deathclaws easy at all ^__^ ... I find them easier in NV because of the weapons you can get there.

Until you run out!! I find that Stimpaks can be hard to find once you've looted certain places. But if you have a mix of the two, you'll probably never run out of healing items.

Yeah, but a lot of people sell them, and when you're as filthy rich as me, everything can be bought!

Essentially, it's a paralyzer. It instantly cripples enemies, making them unable to jump or run. Deathclaws go from super scary to laughably easy. Yao guai go from from death machines to cuddly teddy bears. It also does slight poison damage, but once you've paralyzed the bad guy, killing them is cake. So it isn't an uber powerful weapon, but to me it's indispensable. I always, always, make sure I get it as early as possible. It makes exploring a lot safer.[/QUOTE]

Oh sweet, instant cripple? Damn that's awesome. I didn't realize you could actually poison enemies. Are deathclaws the most powerful enemies in the game?

Yeah, but there are other factors to consider. Surviving radiation, for example. Lock picking, computer hacking, speechcraft, even some perks that let you recover AP faster. Maybe it's just my play-style, but going all out combat and health and forgetting everything else really was not a good idea.

What skills increase radiation resistance?

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
Oh sweet, instant cripple? Damn that's awesome. I didn't realize you could actually poison enemies. Are deathclaws the most powerful enemies in the game?

What skills increase radiation resistance?

Yeah man ... if you haven't met a Deathclaw yet, well ...

I don't know if there's an actual skill that increases rad res, but there are perks that do so. I'd have to look them up because I don't quite remember.

There's an area called Old Olney, near the north central area of the map. It's actually a Deathclaw nest. In case you're curious.

I'll be honest, I've been playing Fallout3 and NV since they came out, and I'm still freaked out by Deathclaws haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom