• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Sony Is Clearly Dying for Zelda

Zelda itself is a big rip-off. Movies and books have done EVERTHING before the game did.

If you guys think that everthing in Zelda is made up by Nintendo has been living under a rock.
Really, that's why Zelda is so fun, it's sooooo damn cliche that everybody can play it right away.

Heroes pulling swords from pedestals? Silent heroes riding horses? Kidnapped pricesses, doomed kingdoms?
Really. Zelda is not original. I love it for that reason. If they started to be new, creative and refreshing...
All people outside Japan would say: What the... What is this? None of you would like the games, I'm sure.

Do you think average people would like new stuff? Don't get me wrong, I like Zelda a lot. But, come on, the most original thing they did is give a slight twist to something that has been done a dozen times.

I think I like the rip off thingy's. Just so you know.
Just because it's a rip off, just like Zelda.

zelda games are in the adventure genre, if simply being in the same genre counts as a rip off for you... then wow...

the idea of heroes riding horse, princesses etc. wasnt as cliche as it was in the mid 80s (im quite sure of that) today it is cliche yes but they expanded on the idea by a lot, adding dungeons, clever puzzles a nice overworld for you to explore, also im almost certain the idea of the 7 sages from oot was unique which was ripped off from 3d dot game heroes.

this game just goes wayy too far, its a complete clone, very similar overworld, similar gameplay style, instead of heart containers you get something like cherry containers (wow...)

this one just copies about 20 ideas from zelda

Plus we all know how well Majora's Mask did with all of Zelda's fanbase...
Which it was also the 6th game in the series. The whole basic idea of Zelda is borrowed from some other element of fantasy. What is great about Zelda is that it has its own type of feeling to it that can set it apart. No one who claims they wont buy the games will never know if they are good or not. Which they both seem to have great potential to be a lot of fun.

Tom

The rocks falling from the mountain also reminded me of the same rocks tumbling off the mountains in past Zelda games.

For f. sake, look at that. Behold DEATH MOUNTAIN this is ridiculous. Some of you said you now want a PS3, well I just can't hate Sony more than I now do.
I won't even talk about the cuckoos, the sages and the soundtrack. Now 'Link' is blue, but he still raise things up when obtaining them.

That's rock bottom, Sony.

For f. sake, look at that. Behold DEATH MOUNTAIN this is ridiculous. Some of you said you now want a PS3, well I just can't hate Sony more than I now do.
I won't even talk about the cuckoos, the sages and the soundtrack. Now 'Link' is blue, but he still raise things up when obtaining them.

i know, i kinda liked sony in the playstation 1 days, ever since the ps3 theyve just been complete idiots, really really hope they get sued for this and really really hope nintendo and microsoft kick their ***. (im no microsoft fan but i dont hate them)
and i completely agree with you, i cant believe some people in this forum are actually willing to support this game,
faithful zelda fans will boycott this ****ty game and just wait for zelda wii

i know, i kinda liked sony in the playstation 1 days, ever since the ps3 theyve just been complete idiots, really really hope they get sued for this and really really hope nintendo and microsoft kick their ***. (im no microsoft fan but i dont hate them)
and i completely agree with you, i cant believe some people in this forum are actually willing to support this game,

It is a third party game. Can Sony even get sued?

How do you know the game is "****ty" ?

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
You know, I think you people are overreacting.

It's legal to copy an IDEA, just not the specifics. For instance, if I wanted to create a game with a hero named Rink who wore a red jumpsuit, lived in the land of Lorule, and wanted to save Princess Esmeralda from the spear-wielding crocodile creature Banon (who had stolen the Holy Grail of Power) using the holy Excalibur sword, Nintendo couldn't do a thing about it as long as everything looked completely different in graphical terms and had different names. You can't patent a concept, only specific implementations of it. ;)

Is it a bit cheap? Yes. But that's not saying it can't be a good game... companies rip off of each other all the time. As long as they don't violate any copyrights or patents, it's simply called "staying competitive."

Take the Nyko Wand for instance... it's clearly a rip-off of the Wii Remote in design, but all they had to do in order to avoid lawsuits was change the shape of the buttons and colors, maybe some of the internal structure.

You know, I think you people are overreacting.

It's legal to copy an IDEA, just not the specifics. For instance, if I wanted to create a game with a hero named Rink who wore a red jumpsuit, lived in the land of Lorule, and wanted to save Princess Esmeralda from the spear-wielding crocodile creature Banon (who had stolen the Holy Grail of Power) using the holy Excalibur sword, Nintendo couldn't do a thing about it as long as everything looked completely different in graphical terms and had different names. You can't patent a concept, only specific implementations of it. ;)

Is it a bit cheap? Yes. But that's not saying it can't be a good game... companies rip off of each other all the time. As long as they don't violate any copyrights or patents, it's simply called "staying competitive."

Take the Nyko Wand for instance... it's clearly a rip-off of the Wii Remote in design, but all they had to do in order to avoid lawsuits was change the shape of the buttons and colors, maybe some of the internal structure.

Agreed.

Yeah, this game looks like Zelda (specially the boomerang scene), but let's not judge and call it a cheap copy just because it's not original. What if this game gets out and it is really a great game? You wouldn't play it just because it looks like Zelda?

And we don't know how the game is until it's released. We may be losing a lot of gameplay elements. Besides, there's a lot of franchises out there that are not original but are excellent.

Juxtor

aka. musician_4_life
I really doubt Sony are dying for Zelda. If such a thing happened, the gaming world would go crazy.
Sony can have darksiders, thats Zelda enough.....

ケンジ

僕は準備完了しています!
Paranaque City, Metro Manila, Philippines
If this game gets good reviews it's ok with me.

But i would be angry if some newbie would say that This is better than Zelda, even to the point of causing a fan-war or uprising of sony fans boys and Nintendo Fan Alliance. The game may look the same, act the same and has the same elements, but it does not have the original feel to it. And i can sense a parody of this in the future. 3d Dot heroes may be based from Zelda but like athenian said, the idea can be copied, but not the names, and some other concepts.

I don't care if 3d dot Game Heroes is a zelda rip-off, I'll still be buying it and enjoying it. I don't give a F*CK if games have the nintendo label on it at all, as long as they're quality. Nintendo just happens to make games that I love.

If this game gets good reviews it's ok with me.

But i would be angry if some newbie would say that This is better than Zelda, even to the point of causing a fan-war or uprising of sony fans boys and Nintendo Fan Alliance. The game may look the same, act the same and has the same elements, but it does not have the original feel to it. And i can sense a parody of this in the future. 3d Dot heroes may be based from Zelda but like athenian said, the idea can be copied, but not the names, and some other concepts.

trust me this game wont get higher ratings than any zelda game

theres a line between using a few ideas and just stealing almost everything and this game falls in the latter

Yeesh. -.-

You guys are assuming really sinister intentions here. First off, none of these games relate to Sony in any way. Sony did not make these games. Sony didn't even hire a company to make them (that would be a 2nd party game), these are 3rd party games, made by developers who do not work for Sony. Sony has no involvement, so any anger at Sony is entirely misplaced.

You're assuming really dark intentions from these companies as well. Couple things I'd like to mention... Zelda was revolutionary on the NES. A lot of what we have now in gaming came from, either in large or small part, from the original LoZ. Guess what's happens when something is revolutionary? It revolutionizes things. In other words, it gets copied. That's what it IS. That's what being great means: setting a precedent for others.

Additionally, you guys don't seem to know a lot about Darksiders or 3D Dot Game Heroes. I've read a lot about them for a long time before this thread. If you're going to accuse Darksiders of being a rip off, then you can't say it's a ripoff of Zelda, because it borrows elements equally from Zelda, God of War, AND Portal. 3D Dot Game Heroes is practically identical to the original LoZ, and do you know why? Because it was intended as a homage to it. This was the reason for it's creation. If it were intended as a rip-off, it would have been a lot more subtle. The same goes for Darksiders. Just because they borrow elements (that have actually become common, by the way) from other games doesn't mean it's a rip-off. It's learning from success or even trying to pay tribute. Might not be original but it can still be good.

For the record, Darksiders is a pretty good game, and all evidence points to 3D Dot Game Heroes being great as well.

Also note, that I've known about both these games for a while now. None of this is news to me, and I've read about both games quite a bit.

Agreed. Unless Nintendo stops making consoles, they will keep making their top franchises exclusively for their consoles. They are pretty reliant on them.
Nintendo has stated that they will always make consoles. They basically said that if they ever can't make consoles anymore (from being run out of business on it), they will stop making games. Hard to say if they'll keep that promise if such a horrible thing came to pass, but that's what they said.

Again, not Sony. The company nor the console is responsible for this, the 3rd party developer are. Be mad at them if you have to be mad at all.

They can't be sued for this. It's not illegal. Those elements are not copyrighted nor trademarked by Nintendo. These games are homages, and even if they weren't there's nothing Nintendo could do about it. These developers are perfectly within their rights. And this is what'll happen if someone makes a great, revolutionary game. It'll be borrowed from. Nothing will ever stop that, and it also isn't a bad thing.

Why wouldn't people support a homage to their favorite series? It's a homage for God's sake. It's honoring the series. And the game is not bad, it's actually proven that it'll likely be quite high-end. I'm looking forward to it.

Agreed.

Yeah, this game looks like Zelda (specially the boomerang scene), but let's not judge and call it a cheap copy just because it's not original. What if this game gets out and it is really a great game? You wouldn't play it just because it looks like Zelda?

And we don't know how the game is until it's released. We may be losing a lot of gameplay elements. Besides, there's a lot of franchises out there that are not original but are excellent.
I agree with you and Athenian totally. There's nothing wrong with these games or their kind, and all arguments against them are pretty irrelevant.

trust me this game wont get higher ratings than any zelda game

theres a line between using a few ideas and just stealing almost everything and this game falls in the latter
True, but that's probably because Zelda revolutionized the industry and invented most of these elements. It gets points for originality. But there's something to be said for taking an old idea and trying to do it just as well.

Yeah, but this is neither. Again, it's a homage. It's not stealing nor borrowing, it's paying tribute.

P

PrincessZelda

The day that Sony owns Zelda I will A: shot myself because they will most likely kill it. B: Go buy a PS3 and the game and hate myself for doing it but I love Zelda games. I doubt that Nintendo would ever let Sony do anything with Zelda but anything is possible no matter how much I wish it wasn't

TriforceHunter

Forever I am Abandoned
Either they are trying to be funny or they just want to make money or they have no creativity WHATSOEVER.

Anyways many have tried to copy the great and many have failed...horribly, so I could only Imagine.

Anyways is not like it's the first time Sony copies something from Nintendo.
In the Snes era Sony and Nintendo were working on a disk system but the president of Nintendo refused because disk tecnology was still too young. Well we all know what happened; the Ps came along, but no analog sticks, 64 comes out! makes analog sticks popular what does sony does? they update their controllers to have analogs. and many many other B**ch moves Sony has made over the years. The most recent one Project Natal, yeah enhanse motion controllers which we Wii users get made fun of.

Last edited:
Yeesh. -.-

You guys are assuming really sinister intentions here. First off, none of these games relate to Sony in any way. Sony did not make these games. Sony didn't even hire a company to make them (that would be a 2nd party game), these are 3rd party games, made by developers who do not work for Sony. Sony has no involvement, so any anger at Sony is entirely misplaced.

While I agree with the rest of your post, 3D Dot Game Heroes is a PS3 exclusive for a reason. While it is not developed or published by sony, it still has an exclusivity deal with them, so sony DOES have some involvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom