• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Bioshock Infinite (Discussion)

Iridescence

Emancipated Wind Fish
Two years later, now that the hype has passed, we can look at it objectively. And to be fair, there's less overrating and over-hating going on than there was before.

The core gameplay feels like a generic though entertaining stock shooter. The individual mechanics such as shields (which were too weak to do anything), vigors (which all mostly had the same effects), skyhook (which didn't have much practical use in combat), and a two-gun restriction (which makes the gun upgrades less effective) add some depth to the gameplay but very little.

But with a great soundtrack, some of the most gorgeous visuals around and life-like animated characters, it has way too many merits to be considered a bad game. With it's super-cerebral and sometime emotionally touching plot (and a mindblowing ending), while there can be meaningful debate about how the racial elements of the game and other incongruities, I still have it above higher esteem than games which could have made a message but chose not to do one at all.

As it stands, in no other game you'll find a plot that speaks of history, politics, religion, determinism, physics, ethics, and time. It's literally an entire sampler plate of a liberal arts college education that dives into fascinating subjects, in an accessible game. For that, I respect it.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I don't think anyone can claim the gameplay is anything but serviceable, really. It had enough to keep me engaged, but it definitely wasn't anything to shout home about. As far as FPS's go it was a good example of one, but it definitely didn't raise the bar and we've had better.

Visually, the game was stunning, as was the soundtrack; overall the game's presentation was very well done and a great example of good aesthetic design. But the story is where the game truly shines, just like the original Bioshock (we don't talk about Bioshock 2). It was the type of story I was enjoying a lot and then, at the end, I just sat back, put everything together, and realised just how much of a masterpiece it really was! I mean, I may have needed some help from PCGamer when they explained it all, but, it really did make me appreciate just how well written it really was. And I'm a sucker for good story in my games, one of the most important things to me.

A fantastic game. :)

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
A great game, but was kind of overshadowed by its story ironically enough. It was kind of like how great the rest of the game was, all people talked about was it's story, specifically the ending.

Obviously that's not a negative. In terms of complex story telling, characters, lore, this game had it all. Possibly one of the best ever in all three of those departments. It just felt like that kind of outweighed the rest of the game. The shooting mechanics, RPG elements, graphics, gameplay, were all good it's just that they didn't stand out and were more so an afterthought.

Bioshock Infinite won't be remembered for its unique location, stunning graphics, or solid gameplay, it will only be known for its complex and riddling story.

Hanyou

didn't build that
I didn't finish it. I was bothered by its general tone. The game felt very full of itself, funneling me from one lush cutscene to another with all the fake pathos of a faux Disney theme park ride, feeding me its trite anti-religion, anti-American message like I hadn't heard it all before.

I hate most first-person shooters, but I bought and played some of the game because reviewers were hailing it as a subversive artistic masterpiece. This would change the way I saw the world. It would be life-affirming. It would be original.

In the end, it was more of the same--satirize and endlessly bash a straw man of the specific brand of Western philosophy that inspired certain interpretations of our founding documents. Conflate all Christianity into a caricature. Pile on white guilt. Repeat ad nauseam.

Personal views aside, if I really wanted to experience that, I'd watch Bill Hicks again. It'd at least be a lot more fun.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
the moments of casual racism were pretty historically spot-on. it was the main character that was an anachronism. the villains were cartoonish in their execution.

i did enjoy shooting them though.

Salem

SICK
I didn't finish it. I was bothered by its general tone. The game felt very full of itself, funneling me from one lush cutscene to another with all the fake pathos of a faux Disney theme park ride, feeding me its trite anti-religion, anti-American message like I hadn't heard it all before.

In the end, it was more of the same--satirize and endlessly bash a straw man of the specific brand of Western philosophy that inspired certain interpretations of our founding documents. Conflate all Christianity into a caricature. Pile on white guilt. Repeat ad nauseam.
I don't think it was specifically anti-Christian, finish the game, that wasn't the main point of it.

Hanyou

didn't build that
I don't think it was specifically anti-Christian, finish the game, that wasn't the main point of it.

I'm aware of a rough outline of the plot, but I'll try to watch a playthrough or something. Would that suffice or would I miss something? I'd rather not have to deal with the gameplay myself.

In any case, I'm still not sure how the ending makes it the rousing, super-intelligent work of art/social critique it builds itself up to be.

Salem

SICK
I'm aware of a rough outline of the plot, but I'll try to watch a playthrough or something. Would that suffice or would I miss something? I'd rather not have to deal with the gameplay myself.

In any case, I'm still not sure how the ending makes it the rousing, super-intelligent work of art/social critique it builds itself up to be.
Perhaps, I'm not sure.

To elaborate about the Christian things, the main bad guy is really an extremist, some of the things his people say don't entirely contract with what little of christianity that I know of

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom