• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Live Action Legend of Zelda Television Show - What You Would Like to See (and Not to See)

Musicfan

the shadow mage
It's definitely going to have a shaky start, but I really cannot predict how good it's going to be. If there's one thing I learned about TV adaptions, it is to expect uncomfortable changes such as Link's inevitable speech. What really makes me curious is how this could influence the future of the franchise if it goes well; my pessimistic old self foresees two outcomes: 1) It goes well financially and thus gives Nintendo the idea to recycle their success or 2) It turns out to be the stepping stone the series needed, but a rabid hatebase discourages Nintendo from exploring ideas like this.

As for the show itself, I'm not going to lie, I'm expecting it to be a cliche storm; it will contain the prehistoric Chosen One BS, Hijacked by Ganon, Mary Sue frenzy stuff. That's all a given, considering it's Zelda, but when they say it will be like Game of Thrones, I fear horrible things. Not that I hate GoT (I haven't seen it yet), but that this show might end up stealing plot devices or even character concepts just because the writers were too lazy.

This is a big adjustment for some of us, and if I am to advise, I recommend keeping an open mind, while still being prepared for disappointment.
That just means no one is safe not even likable charcters.

I know who I'd call if i was casting director...
the-rock.jpg
See, my favorite part is that I don't have to snidely say "he's also got to be able to act" because actually, Dwayne Johnson can act quite well.

People who want to cite the shortcomings of video game adaptations for the screen by referencing past failures should do well to remember that in the days of yore (about 14 years ago) all non-batman comic book movies were utterly deplorable. Even being Batman wasn't a pass either. But now they're all excellent blockbusters, enjoyed by the mainstream moviegoer (which means studios don't balk at spending the money necessary to make them GOOD). So if a show can do that for video games? That would be great. if anything, a show is much better than a movie because you get so much more time to develop everything. Not just characters but lore, worlds, kingdoms… instead of having to either compact it all into a single movie that ends up being mostly bad exposition (I'm looking at you, Airbender…) or made into multiple movies that make people just feel like they're being bilked for more money.

They would do right to shy away from any lore period of all out war unless they can find a clever way around big battle scenes like Game of Thrones does. Those cost more to shoot than a TV show can spare.

As for casting? I'd actually hope they scour around to find relatively unknown people for many of the parts. Zelda would be, in my opinion, the trickiest. You'd need someone who can project regal strength and grace, but can also look the part bound up as Sheik. They would need to be incredibly lithe, like a dancer or some other physical performer. I'd also be interested to see who they could find as Impa, and what majestic-old-man-voiced guy might play Rauru or some equivalent sage.

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
Could someone please enlighten me, what exactly are we talking about when we say "American accent"?

Just an American accent. Assuming you're American, pretty much the way you hear everybody talk. I can't really think of any other way to describe it. I don't think people are referring to the southern hill billy accent but a much more general American one.

You could be referring to the Inland North Dialect, which is the sort of "Gold Standard" American English. It's what most European countries are familiar with, since it is considered to be the most appealing to hear of the American English dialects. Because of this general appeal, it is the dialect that American news casters and national radio personalities are taught to speak with, hence its ubiquity. It's natively spoken in places like Michigan, Ohio, and Indiana, and ranging into the interior United states and down the eastern seaboard in some areas, and into parts of Florida.

TatlTails

WANTS HER VMS BACK
No, not him. We need a cutesy lanky teenager. No old men. I REPEAT: NO, OLD, MEN. NO BEARDS, NO DEEP AS HECK VOICES, JUST CUTE. TEENAGE. GEEKERY.

The thought of the live action part will be hard, since the source material is divers in styles.
As for the setting, I like to see places from AoL. It is a vast world out there, I like to see more of that.

Well. It depends where in the LOZ timeline it takes place. Or if they are even using Hyrule Historian as source material.. *I hope they do*

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom