• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Jobs

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Speaking as someone who is going for his first proper job interview tomorrow i want to know what is everyones opinion on their job whether they hate it or not. I've never had a job and so i do not know what to expect. So i am asking the community for their opinions likely a mistake but a good one ^^

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
cough this should be general discussion cough

Anyhow, I for one love my job. I do IT at my university, which basically means I get paid to wait for something to go wrong (also when I go on call I spend a lot of time on the floor). If you want advice for an interview, I'd suggest being friendly, but don't act too familiar with your interview.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
My job is meh. It makes me money, that's about it.

I work at a furniture store though, so it's not the most exciting thing in the world. It's a very physically demanding job since some days, all we do is heavy lifting and moving stuff. Some days, though, it's totally dead and there's nothing to do but clean the tables and vacuum the floors. One thing I like, though, is that since I'm one of only two real employees at our store, I'm also a member of the delivery team. It's really nice to be able to get out of the store once in a while and help people out.

My boss is kinda annoying though, but meh, that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
i didn't put this into general discussion because people might think of it in terms of sidequest in a game or something ^^.

Also i was once told Friendliness isn't something i should try with my interviewer. I need to be polite and mind what i say such as no idle cursing such as i partake of from time to time......

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
i didn't put this into general discussion because people might think of it in terms of sidequest in a game or something ^^.

Also i was once told Friendliness isn't something i should try with my interviewer. I need to be polite and mind what i say such as no idle cursing such as i partake of from time to time......

When I say friendliness, I don't mean "make jokes or be familiar." I only mean that you should be pleasant and positive.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard

Friendliness simply means handling yourself in a mature manner. Don't tell the boss that you hate their shirt, don't make yourself out to be a bad person. Just stay calm, talk in a nice tone, don't backtalk, and be honest. It may seem a little intimidating at first, but it's not overly hard, and once you're in the room with them, it just comes naturally.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Oh, and I should add: Don't let your ego stand out too much. Mentioning your strengths is OK, but I made the mistake of sounding overly conceited once and it cost me the job. Not saying you would though, just an extra tip. :)

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I love my job, I work at Disney World and it's great. However the pay is almost nothing and I can't afford to live off it much longer so eventually I'll have to leave. Kind of dragging my feet about it though.

Wow that sucks do they not pay very well then? Also i gotta ask have you EVER popped a kids balloon when no one was looking?

Oh, and I should add: Don't let your ego stand out too much. Mentioning your strengths is OK, but I made the mistake of sounding overly conceited once and it cost me the job. Not saying you would though, just an extra tip. :)

Yea i got told when i sounded arrogant by the mock interviewer when i said one of my strengths ^^ the way i figure is don't use a good strength and don't use a bad weakness as examples look at the job in question and pick one of your strengths/weakness' for it

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I've had a couple of jobs here and there, most have been temporary which suits me as I get bored quick and sometimes I may just be looking for money for a couple of months.

I had a small job cleaning plates/setting the table in a small pub, I've worked at my old golf club (doing multiple things) and recently I worked in Boots. I didn't mind them all that much, it's money, it's experience, it helps your confidence, and you can meet new people. Of course I had those days where I couldn't be assed getting up at 7:00am when it was ice cold or when you're working an 11 hour shift offloading pallets of stock and helping rude customers, but overall it's good. I guess I've been lucky that I've been in good work environments, a lot of nice people, and people my age who I can talk to.

For tips on the interview I'd say come across natural. I'm quite outgoing and I've been lucky in that I've had interviewers that I've had a bit of banter with. So maybe if you're nervous or shy, I'd say make sure you know the fundamentals. You don't need to know everything about your job, but know what it entails because they'll ask you tricky questions. If your job involves customer service, remember that the customer is always right and make that clear to the interviewer. Also try and show a bit of energy and charisma, I haven't always been the most prepared or most qualified, but I like to think my personality helps. Oh and another thing, show ambition, and be flexible, interviewers will more likely take someone who can adapt to any kind of working hours than someone who's only available a couple of times a week.

Good luck.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
It's strange to take that first step into the working world, but if you get the job, you will receive some kind of training/introduction to what your tasks are. And as for what to do, I think the best advice I can give is to be yourself. Dress for the occasion, and with that I mean just remember what kind of job you are interviewing for and be sure to look the part. Apart from that, you will learn with every interview you go to.

I personally love my job, because I feel like what I'm doing is worthwhile. I work as a carer and my job is to assist people who are mentally and sometimes also physically disabled in their everyday lives. Yeah, there are gross parts of of the job, but I can go home knowing that what I do makes a difference in the lives of the people I take care of (and also, thankfully, carers are paid liveable wages where I live). Before taking this job, I had never worked in anything healthcare related, so I really didn't know what to expect. I even made mistakes in how to work the coffee maker the first time, but I learned as I went on and got into the rhythm of things. Next month it'll be six years since I've started, and I feel I've grown heaps since I first started. And I feel I am valued as both an employee and a colleague.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I have been working since I was 18. I was lucky I rolled into it through my mother so I didn't have a job interview back then. One good advice I can give you is tio stay polite, make your appearance look okay to them. Also if you apply to a job and you're invited for an interview try to look up some information about the company etc. Show them you know what they are doing and that you looked it up. Many companies like it when their future employees took the time to look up their sites and checked out what the company is about. This will/might give you an advantage. Don't be encouraged if they don't hire you. Don't take it personal. Keep your head up at all times and consider a possible rejection as a lesson forward in life. Pay attention to the payments and facilities. Don't take the days off during the first months of your work unless something important is coming up or you already planned something like holiday trips. And if you got hired don't be afraid to ask. It's better to ask things a few times to be sure than making mistakes without asking advice.

Good luck!

I adore my job now. I work as a nurse in a woman's minimum security prison. It's the best. But it took a hard road to get there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom