• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

First time Zelda player; very disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
So, in my quest to play all the gaming classics I missed (mainly console classics because all I had growing up were PCs), I decided to jump into the Zelda series, with the Twilight Princess on the Wii. It ended up being my worst gaming experience in recent memory, and I had to force myself to finish it. Just about the only things I enjoyed in that game were Midna and a few of the boss battles. I can provide a list of things which I loathed in the game, but the main reason for this post is that I want to give the series another shot.

So, can someone recommend me a zelda game which is actually well designed and memorable? I know that OoT is at the top of many lists, but I've also heard that it's a handholding slog. I'd like a game with at least some of the qualities that I always heard zelda games had: freedom and exploration. No truckloads of cutscenes which wrest control from my character, and no herding me onto the next story quest.
TP is one of the best games in the series. Might i suggest you try something else...Call of duty perhaps.

vengenz

Sheikah Warrior
I'd highly recommend Ocarina of Time. That game started a vice in my family (cousins my age, really. 13 total.)
My cousins got me into it and we always play Zelda every time there is family gatherings going on. It's crazy.
OoT started it all for me. It got me hooked. Why wouldn't it get you hooked? Try it.
As much as I defend Zelda against anyone who says its too 'stressful' or "it sucks."
If the Zelda games are not you, so be it. Maybe someday you'll like it.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Why not, they have a lot in common. You know, being overly gray, being extremely linear, trying way too hard to be "hardcore"...
Don't forget being too easy. Seriously, TP and CoD series have a lot in common. Both require little to no thought to complete.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
To be honest, Zelda probably isn't for you. Even for people who don't love TP, most people who like Zelda don't consider TP to be their worst gaming experience ever.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Don't forget being too easy. Seriously, TP and CoD series have a lot in common. Both require little to no thought to complete.

At least Twilight Princess isn't completely devoid of creativity, though.

To be honest, Zelda probably isn't for you. Even for people who don't love TP, most people who like Zelda don't consider TP to be their worst gaming experience ever.

Tell it to Azure Sage.

update 2: things have been going steadily downhill since my first update. ALttP is doing the same thing that TP did, which is giving me this large world to explore but preventing me from going where I want to go, and forcing me to search where the devs intended me to go (I'm freeing the maidens ATM). Why, after the fantastic experience upon first being set free on the overworld, would they do this?

It also slowly dawned on me that this is all the overworld the game has. I thought, perhaps naively, given the HW of the time, that there would be much more overworld to explore later in the game.

Still, at least the gameplay has remained mechanically fun.

I'd like to add that I have no problem whatsoever with linear games, so long as they focus instead on delivering a solid story and cinematic effect which linearity lends itself to, and waste little time in delivering it. The issue I had with TP is that the good bits were far, far too sparse, hidden under several layers of padding and gimmicks. Example:

The first cutscene with a howling wolf: as the wolf sang and the background music picked up the melody and added to it was truly magical, one of the most amazing things I have ever experienced in gaming. The second time this happened? Not so great. The third, fourth, etc., I just wanted to get it over with as fast as possible. Instead of undermining this great moment by turning it into a formula which always leads to an anticlimactic encounter with some kind of skeleton knight, why not develop it and make it a critical part of the story?

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
update 2: things have been going steadily downhill since my first update. ALttP is doing the same thing that TP did, which is giving me this large world to explore but preventing me from going where I want to go, and forcing me to search where the devs intended me to go (I'm freeing the maidens ATM). Why, after the fantastic experience upon first being set free on the overworld, would they do this?

It also slowly dawned on me that this is all the overworld the game has. I thought, perhaps naively, given the HW of the time, that there would be much more overworld to explore later in the game.

I'm lost. A Link to the Past offers much larger amounts of exploration after the first three dungeons, so how is it limiting you? Obviously there are going to be places that are blocked off in order to prevent you from becoming too OP too quickly, but the boundaries aren't numerous.

You also seem to be forgetting that this is an SNES game. I think you're expecting too much from what the programming can actually offer you in content.

Blue Canary

Your Friendly Neighborhood S***poster

Still, at least the gameplay has remained mechanically fun.

I'd like to add that I have no problem whatsoever with linear games, so long as they focus instead on delivering a solid story and cinematic effect which linearity lends itself to, and waste little time in delivering it. The issue I had with TP is that the good bits were far, far too sparse, hidden under several layers of padding and gimmicks. Example:

The first cutscene with a howling wolf: as the wolf sang and the background music picked up the melody and added to it was truly magical, one of the most amazing things I have ever experienced in gaming. The second time this happened? Not so great. The third, fourth, etc., I just wanted to get it over with as fast as possible. Instead of undermining this great moment by turning it into a formula which always leads to an anticlimactic encounter with some kind of skeleton knight, why not develop it and make it a critical part of the story?

Play the first Zelda game. If that doesn't give you enough freedom, then I don't know what more you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom