• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Art The ZD Writing Discussion Thread

Luke's Wife

peaked in 2015
I started a novel for NaNoWriMo last year, and I never finished, but I am still working on it. I'm around 27k words with a pretty solid plot setup and strong characters (I created them and they're basically my babies though so I'm a little biased). The only thing is is that I'm not exactly sure how I want to resolve things. Initially, everyone was going to die, because a major theme in the book is the idea of death and rebirth, or reincarnation. But I got way too attached to two certain characters and now I really can't kill them off. And doing so would be a little pointless. The other 80% of main characters still die, though. Sort of. It's complicated.

I also write a lot of spoken word poetry and slam poetry when I don't feel like working on my novel, and most of that is just so I can yell at people when I'm performing. But it's still fun. I've also written a collection of screenplays for short films that I've made/are planning to make at some point.

Essentially, I love to write.

INCOMING WALL OF TEXT~

I could talk about my writing/reading preferences for hours if given the chance... This post was 1000+ words long before I realized that no one would read it. :P

As I writer, I am firmly entrenched in the fantasy genre. I don't think I've ever really ventured out of it except for minor projects here and there. It can be anything from high fantasy to contemporary, fanfiction to original stuff. I kind of took a year-long break from writing, but NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) suddenly motivated me like never before. I've been writing a lot more since then, even finishing a chapter of my fanfic I'd been neglecting for a year and a half and almost ending a oneshot that I halfway completed back in March. I'm pulling up old and new ideas from everywhere and even considering dabbling in fandoms other than Zelda for once... and I'm possibly reviving an old Wizard101 fanfic I wrote when I was like twelve or something.

As a reader, on the other hand... I pretty much read exclusively fanfiction. It used to be entirely Zelda, but lately I've been more than a little obsessed with Danny Phantom. I'm really fond of dark stories, especially thoses where the hero must go through some kind of internal conflict. And I adore tragedy and irony. Even so, I'll read pretty much everything. The only thing I really don't like with consistency is pure romance. Romance is fine when combined with something else, but simple fluff is just... boring, in my opinion. Oh, and I hate Dark Link. Hate him. End of story.

I'm not really involved on ZD though... as a writer OR reader. I entered the writing competition a few times back in the day but since then I haven't really done anything on the forums. I feel like I'm going to get more recognition on ff.net. Maybe my next oneshot I'll post here too?

Hey, one shots are better than no shots at all, which is pretty much where we are. If you need any help with any of your stories, feel free to post about it here. That's what this is all about. :)

When it comes to my fandoms, I stick primarily with Zelda. I will occasionally wander off to go read Batman fanfiction, but that fandom is a lot smaller than Zelda or Harry Potter is. It's kind of a shame. I'm thinking about posting some of my works here again as well. Would you be interested in reading? <:

Yes. XD They're lifesavers. When I'm writing a scene that requires a lot of the same emotions, especially. For example... you have a scene where numerous characters are suffering from some kind of terrifying revelation or something. You can only use the words "numb horror" so many times before you really need a thesaurus or something to keep the emotions in the scene without being repetitive.

Also related to the current discussion... I've never really been an "outlining" person. Tried it once, got bored. I do have to plan though -- it makes my chances of completing a project SO much higher. But I do it in a far less orthodox fashion. I start a note on my iPad, write down the basic plot, and then begin asking questions, over and over, brainstorming ideas until I have a decent concept. It works really well for me, especially when I have plot holes I need to fix.

See, I love using thesauruses, but often times, people abuse them in a silly attempt to make their writing sound smarter than it really is. The way I see it, if you don't know what the word actually means, you probably shouldn't use it, even if the thesaurus says it's a synonym of that word that keeps getting repeated all throughout your narrative. That's just my two cents, though.

I won't even lie. I have not written a single short story of any genre is quite some time. I used to write everything from alternate realities of irl, fan-fics, and went all over the place. Then "It" happened. I got writer's block on such a grand and massive scale, I gave up writing for several years. and it shows alot of times. And now I feel I need to learn how to write creatively again. And I was looking through blogs, and heard about the revival of the writing section, and I am all for it. I would like my try at writing again, and contributing.

How many games have you played recently? I find that when I'm in some serious need of some inspiration, I go play some games in my library. Some people like to go watch movies and videos and whatnot to get inspiration. You might find that helpful as well. The biggest thing you need to do is sit down and write, whether what you write is good or bad. Practice makes perfect. :)

I am working on a multi-part epic fantasy that has in one way or the other been in the works for years. But a TON has changed in my planning process and it looks very different than from when it started.

What is it about? :eek:

Isn't that how it always goes though?

Yeah, I have a story of my own that's been brewing in my head for years. I've written many different iterations of it, and I still haven't found a good "version" that I like. Maybe one day, I will.

I started a novel for NaNoWriMo last year, and I never finished, but I am still working on it. I'm around 27k words with a pretty solid plot setup and strong characters (I created them and they're basically my babies though so I'm a little biased). The only thing is is that I'm not exactly sure how I want to resolve things. Initially, everyone was going to die, because a major theme in the book is the idea of death and rebirth, or reincarnation. But I got way too attached to two certain characters and now I really can't kill them off. And doing so would be a little pointless. The other 80% of main characters still die, though. Sort of. It's complicated.

I also write a lot of spoken word poetry and slam poetry when I don't feel like working on my novel, and most of that is just so I can yell at people when I'm performing. But it's still fun. I've also written a collection of screenplays for short films that I've made/are planning to make at some point.

Essentially, I love to write.

What kind of novel did you write? I would love to see you post it here. :>

My longest fanfic was 77k words, with a prologue, 24 chapters, and an epilogue.

Luke's Wife

peaked in 2015
What kind of novel did you write? I would love to see you post it here. :>

My longest fanfic was 77k words, with a prologue, 24 chapters, and an epilogue.

I don't know if I could really sort it into one specific genre. The novel is divided into 4 parts, with 4 different characters acting as POV in 4 different time periods. They're all connected (the idea is that the MC in each section is a direct reincarnation of the previous character). So it has some spiritual elements, there's a bit of fantasy if you squint. One section is very similar to a noir type crime story, another is extremely influenced by dystopian/sci-fi elements. It's all over the place, really. There's a bit of a lot of genres. I might post some here, although I'm extremely critical of most of my own work and so I'm not 100% sure if I'm confident enough with what I've written to post it.

I'm also awful at writing things in order, the majority of what I have written is various scenes from various points in time that need to be stitched together.

What is it about? :eek:

It takes place in a fantasy world I created, little by little for most of my life. What I am working on are a series of novels that take place within the same general timeframe, all within a few years of each other except for one which takes place 50 years prior to the others. Each story features their own characters and conflicts and besides taking place in the same world in the same general timeframe with some character crossover, they don't seemingly connect until the last one or two parts which ties them all together. It basically follows the escalating conflicts of the world, the ensuing wars, and ultimately the cause behind it all.

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
I don't know if I could really sort it into one specific genre. The novel is divided into 4 parts, with 4 different characters acting as POV in 4 different time periods. They're all connected (the idea is that the MC in each section is a direct reincarnation of the previous character). So it has some spiritual elements, there's a bit of fantasy if you squint. One section is very similar to a noir type crime story, another is extremely influenced by dystopian/sci-fi elements. It's all over the place, really. There's a bit of a lot of genres. I might post some here, although I'm extremely critical of most of my own work and so I'm not 100% sure if I'm confident enough with what I've written to post it.

I'm also awful at writing things in order, the majority of what I have written is various scenes from various points in time that need to be stitched together.

I wouldn't be too worried about being embarrassed to post a story. If you think it's good for the most part, just start to post a few parts of it, and I guarantee you'll either get constructive criticism (which, I know, can be a bit scary) or reassurance.

Personally, for my writing, I used to stick to fantasy bit I feel like I'm slowly transitioning into a more sci-fi form of writing. I'm working on a "novel" right now that is sci if that I started the past summer. I don't have much content to show for it though, since I stopped writing for a few months or so so that I could really try to solidify the characters and conflict.

There's nothing wrong with that. Sometimes, it's better to write out scenes and events piecemeal than to initially try to connect them to a story arc as a whole. It makes things feel... episodic, if you will. If you do post the story, the worst I might do is give constructive criticism about the writing itself. I would still like to read it, either way. :>

It takes place in a fantasy world I created, little by little for most of my life. What I am working on are a series of novels that take place within the same general timeframe, all within a few years of each other except for one which takes place 50 years prior to the others. Each story features their own characters and conflicts and besides taking place in the same world in the same general timeframe with some character crossover, they don't seemingly connect until the last one or two parts which ties them all together. It basically follows the escalating conflicts of the world, the ensuing wars, and ultimately the cause behind it all.

Very nice! I love episodic stories. It's always interesting to see how seemingly unrelated events can connect to one another over the course of a story. I take it you have a lot of lore in your work as well?

I wouldn't be too worried about being embarrassed to post a story. If you think it's good for the most part, just start to post a few parts of it, and I guarantee you'll either get constructive criticism (which, I know, can be a bit scary) or reassurance.

Personally, for my writing, I used to stick to fantasy bit I feel like I'm slowly transitioning into a more sci-fi form of writing. I'm working on a "novel" right now that is sci if that I started the past summer. I don't have much content to show for it though, since I stopped writing for a few months or so so that I could really try to solidify the characters and conflict.

The way I see it, there is no shame in posting a story to get feedback on it. Feedback is how you get better as a writer; without it, it's hard to really know which way that wayward narrative ship should sail, figuratively speaking.

What's your story about, Doc? :>

Very nice! I love episodic stories. It's always interesting to see how seemingly unrelated events can connect to one another over the course of a story. I take it you have a lot of lore in your work as well?

Yeah, I've even written (and am writing) a lot of ancillary materials to the main saga that chronicles the history, mythos and even biology etc of the various races. I am also taking the TES route in that the greater happenings and myths (stories/actions of the Gods) of the world are interpreted many different ways from the many different faiths and that the truth is shrouded and buried somewhere in all of them. The various belief systems play a large role in the series.

I've also been piecing together the overall historical timeline which spans several thousands of years and the rise and fall of many nations, empires, rebellions, wars, kings etc. Many of the events in the past having ramifications in the current period of the series (much like they do in real life).

Last edited:

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
The way I see it, there is no shame in posting a story to get feedback on it. Feedback is how you get better as a writer; without it, it's hard to really know which way that wayward narrative ship should sail, figuratively speaking.

Exactly. I was absolutely terrified to start posting things I wrote, but feel like my writing has really improved since.

What's your story about, Doc? :>

It's a post-apocalyptic story in which robots have taken over the earth and the last humans are being hunted down. There are small, little servant droids who each have a specific role in a city of the robots, and the story follows a Mechanic, who repairs the hunters (most of the small robots don't know humans even exist). It follows his tale as he is forced to lead a rebel droid outside of the city and discovers the truth. I feel like a short semi-synopsis doesn't do it much justice.

Also, to any of you with smartphone or tablet, I would suggest getting the Novel Idea app. It is basically notes but makes it very easy to organize and plan stories. It really helped me, personally.

Yeah, I've even written (and am writing) a lot of ancillary materials to the main saga that chronicles the history, mythos and even biology etc of the various races. I am also taking the TES route in that the greater happenings and myths (stories/actions of the Gods) of the world are interpreted many different ways from the many different faiths and that the truth is shrouded and buried somewhere in all of them. The various belief systems play a large role in the series.

I've also been piecing together the overall historical timeline which spans several thousands of years and the rise and fall of many nations, empires, rebellions, wars, kings etc. Many of the events in the past having ramifications in the current period of the series (much like they do in real life).

That's very interesting. I love stories with a lot of myth and lore to them- it's amazing how little things like that can really flesh out the world you're trying to create. I had an original idea at one point on that played with the idea of avatars and the gods they represented. I might revisit that at some point, actually!

Exactly. I was absolutely terrified to start posting things I wrote, but feel like my writing has really improved since.

Yeah, see, that's why I don't really understand how in fanfiction circles, writers get upset at any critique given to them. If it were me, I would die for such feedback. I want my writings to be the best they can be, and I cannot do that without listening to feedback. Granted, that doesn't mean you should listen to everything somebody has to say, but I think it's at least fair to consider something someone has said with regards to your writing. :)

It's a post-apocalyptic story in which robots have taken over the earth and the last humans are being hunted down. There are small, little servant droids who each have a specific role in a city of the robots, and the story follows a Mechanic, who repairs the hunters (most of the small robots don't know humans even exist). It follows his tale as he is forced to lead a rebel droid outside of the city and discovers the truth. I feel like a short semi-synopsis doesn't do it much justice.

Also, to any of you with smartphone or tablet, I would suggest getting the Novel Idea app. It is basically notes but makes it very easy to organize and plan stories. It really helped me, personally.

Very cool. Have you by any chance posted it anywhere, out of curiosity?

What platforms is the app for? Android, iOS, or...?

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
Yeah, see, that's why I don't really understand how in fanfiction circles, writers get upset at any critique given to them. If it were me, I would die for such feedback. I want my writings to be the best they can be, and I cannot do that without listening to feedback. Granted, that doesn't mean you should listen to everything somebody has to say, but I think it's at least fair to consider something someone has said with regards to your writing. :)

I agree with you guys on this point. Feedback from others is one of the best ways to help discover exactly what people like about your style and what they think you need to work on to become even better. I think the lack of user feedback was one of the reasons that the section ended up dying on ZD.

I can confirm that it's out for at least iOS as I have just downloaded it to try out. (Thanks for the suggestion, Doc! It looks like it'll be really useful.)

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
Very cool. Have you by any chance posted it anywhere, out of curiosity?

There is a link to it in my signature, but that is such an outdated draft. The only parts that haven't been completely edited/deleted are the prologue and first chapter. Everything else in there is pretty redundant at this point. I've been considering posting it here on ZD instead to get some feedback.

I wish I could tell you. As Mamono said, IOS for sure. Other than that, I'm not very sure.

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
One of the things I find the most difficult and what I spend a lot of time on are my characters' names and I was wondering what your process is for naming characters (both first and last names)? Do you have a small pool of names you recycle or do you try to use different names with everything you write?

Basically, how do your characters end up with the names you give them?

One of the things I find the most difficult and what I spend a lot of time on are my characters' names and I was wondering what your process is for naming characters (both first and last names)? Do you have a small pool of names you recycle or do you try to use different names with everything you write?

Basically, how do your characters end up with the names you give them?

I try to find a name that not only makes sense given the story, but also a name that has meaning that pertains to the character. There is nothing more pretentious and silly than naming your English basketball star "Sakura", unless they were Japanese. Now, regardless of if you believe in Numerology or not, I sometimes look up my character's numerology info to see if it lines up with their personality. It's not something I recommend doing, though, unless you're into that.

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
I have been noticing a lack of activity here lately. In order to bring some life to this section of ZD, I have decided to make a place for everybody to discuss their stories. If you guys have any fanfic ideas you want to brainstorm, or you're having some writer's block, feel free to share your ideas here, and we might be able to help you.

So, to kick things off, I'll just ask everybody this- is there a particular genre or theme you like reading/writing about?

When it comes to my own writing, I tend to prefer more contemporary settings. Occasionally, I will delve into fantasy/sci-fi, but I prefer to not stick to a specific genre. I feel that themes can more often than not restrict the story than it does enhance it, but that's just my opinion. What about you guys?

(On that note, please keep all trolling, spamming, or non-constructive responses out of this thread. Thank you!)

Ok, I will bite. :cool:

1. It always saddens me to see the Writing Section lacking activity wherever I go. I don't know how long I will be here while I do my thing, but I hope this section becomes active.

2. I don't stick to a particular genre, either, but I do lean heavily towards Sci Fi and Fantasy, especially Fantasy. If people write stuff featuring either of those genres, I might find myself reading what they have to offer, but if it is something else I probably won't read it. Then again, even if I read your work and it doesn't catch my attention with the introduction, I tend to not follow along.

3. Having said that, as I writer I am still far from achieving what I want to achieve in terms of my writing. Sure, I've written some good stories, but I know they lack a lot and even have typos. I came back to retrieve some of my finished (and unfinished) works in order to correct what's wrong, but most importantly, to finish some stories that I left unfinished. One of those is The Stand. That was a cool story I had going, with members making decisions and whatnot. I figured I'll be finishing that before I take my leave again.

4. For The Stand I am not lacking ideas since I know what that story was going to be about from the very beginning. But, if you have any help that you'd like to offer, feel free to let me know what I can work on if you read the story. If not, here, I will post a brief review of what it's about. It's in the spoiler, so just click.

Aliens came to earth without being traced. Soon, humanity was somehow infected with a terrible virus that turned them into zombies. 80% of the human population became infected in a matter of weeks. The story began with some soldiers riding a chopper and on their way to be agrounded in order to search for a lost recon team and any other survivors. I won't say much more since I will be rewriting that story anyway. So if Zombies interest you, give it a read, eh? XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom